Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Murder of Lyra McKee in Londonderry, Apr 18, 2019

Do you recall that issues were not reported on in the 70s? Do you remember the whole media blackout? The fact that certain Republicans were not allowed to be heard?
Now at least there is freedom to report and represent. That came about relatively recently...
Lyra McKee had the freedom to be there to report what she witnessed because of the peace process...because of the many who died along the way towards a resolution to have a better way of living and being in NI.

I think you'll find Republicans have never relied on the enemy press and were able to produce their own war news.

They died for the freedoms she lived with including the freedom to be where she was and do her job.

My point for flyingcolumn is that they killed someone who represented the freedoms people have fought and died for.
A woman with a voice who could speak about what was going on.
A gay rights activist.
A peaceful person who wanted all communities to live together peacefully.
A fighter for equal rights.

And yeah. We know that the nira didn't deliverately set out to kill her....but by doing so they highlighted the absolute differences between the absence of rights and eventual need for action and resistance that came about during the 1970s, and the contrasting modern society that is and wants peaceful action in 2019.

The I.R.A did not fight for Irish people to be equal within a British colony. Their raison d'être is to re-establish the 32 country Irish Republic of 1916, not the guff you have claimed.

Ah fuck off would you. You have no idea how tentative peace is in NI at the moment. And yes I do still believe that tensions are high and that brexit is a massive problem. That does not exclude me also seeing and knowing that what happened in Derry recently was fucked up.

The I.R.A has been very clear that their actions of late have nothing to do with Brexit whatsoever.

The good people of Creggan have re-elected Irish Republican Gary Donnelly in local elections. He topped the polls. Two weeks of non-stop British and free state propaganda claiming "dissidents" don't have any support shows they were talking out of their arse.

Last edited:
" The necessary intention exists if the defendant feels sure that death, or serious bodily harm, is a virtual certainty as a result of the defendant's actions and that the defendant appreciated that this was the case - R v Matthews (Darren John) [2003] EWCA Crim 192."

Bit hard convincing a jury you fired a loaded gun into a crowd not appreciating the certain risk of death or injury.

No Irish Republican should be concerned about convincing a Brit jury about their actions.

The good people of Creggan have re-elected Irish Republican Gary Donnelly in local elections. He topped the polls. Two weeks of non-stop British and free state propaganda claiming "dissidents" don't have any support shows they were talking out of their arse.

"One of the public faces of the dissident republican movement has called on the New IRA to stop all attacks.
Gary Donnelly, an independent republican councillor in Derry, has issued unprecedented criticism of those responsible for the killing of Lyra McKee.
Mr Donnelly, a former spokesman for the 32 County Sovereignty Movement, has repeatedly refused to condemn dissident republican violence.
However, in a post on social media, he said: “An innocent woman is dead because of a reckless act. This is wrong and my thoughts like the thoughts of this entire community are with her loved ones. I would plead with those behind this attack to desist from any further attacks and seriously consider the consequences of their actions.”

This ^^^ is Gary Donnelly.

Lyra McKee murder: Independent republican councillor Gary Donnelly calls on 'New IRA' to end all attacks

"One of the public faces of the dissident republican movement has called on the New IRA to stop all attacks.
Gary Donnelly, an independent republican councillor in Derry, has issued unprecedented criticism of those responsible for the killing of Lyra McKee.
Mr Donnelly, a former spokesman for the 32 County Sovereignty Movement, has repeatedly refused to condemn dissident republican violence.
However, in a post on social media, he said: “An innocent woman is dead because of a reckless act. This is wrong and my thoughts like the thoughts of this entire community are with her loved ones. I would plead with those behind this attack to desist from any further attacks and seriously consider the consequences of their actions.”

Lyra McKee murder: Independent republican councillor Gary Donnelly calls on 'New IRA' to end all attacks

And? He's entitled to this opinion.

Yeh. There's a range of dissident opinion so this isn't really a knock-out point.

The I.R.A did not fight for Irish people to be equal within a British colony. Their raison d'être is to re-establish the 32 country Irish Republic of 1916, not the guff you have claimed.

My grandfather was a captain in one of the IRA batallions in Monaghan and fought there and in Tyrone.
Neither he nor the soldiers in his batallion shot at civilians.

A united Ireland is a very common desire in Ireland. But many want it to come through peaceful negotiation.

Yeh. There's a range of dissident opinion so this isn't really a knock-out point.

I quoted Donnelly because flyingcolumn referred to him specifically as a dissident republican and yet Donnelly is able to condemn the attack, something flyingcolumn isnt able to do.

I can't help but wonder if Derry/Londondery would be better off renamed with French name or something.

Maybe then it wouldn't be such a symbol of polerized opinion. Just the name itself inflames people to old hatreds.

My grandfather was a captain in one of the IRA batallions in Monaghan and fought there and in Tyrone.
Neither he nor the soldiers in his batallion shot at civilians.

A united Ireland is a very common desire in Ireland. But many want it to come through peaceful negotiation.

So you admit you were talking shite when you claimed the I.R.A were fighting for equal rights?

The I.R.A has accidentally killed many civilians throughout the last century. It’s the intention that matters not the act. The death of Lyra McKee was not intentional whatsoever.

I can't help but wonder if Derry/Londondery would be better off renamed with French name or something.

Maybe then it wouldn't be such a symbol of polerized opinion. Just the name itself inflames people to old hatreds.

I’ve seen a few people suggest it be renamed Lyraderry

flyingcolumn
It shouldnt have happened.
Why cant you just admit that it was a massive cock up.

I have done. No one, including the I.R.A, is saying it should have happened or wasn’t a cock up. I won’t however accept that the intention of the volunteer who fired those fateful shots was to kill Lyra McKee.

I have done. No one, including the I.R.A, is saying it should have happened or wasn’t a cock up. I won’t however accept that the intention of the volunteer who fired those fateful shots was to kill Lyra McKee.
Who was he trying to kill then Capt Colon and would that have been all right? Who was the rightful target?

What was his intention? Was he ordered to fire shots in the general direction of everyone on that road? Was he just doing his own thing? Has the NIRA control over its "soldiers"? Was he trained? Or just a kid who practiced sharp shooting on an online game?
Petrol bombs are one thing but firing a gun up a road that had groups of kids / civilians on it? The police were well protected...so why did he even bother firing at them?

What was his intention? Was he ordered to fire shots in the general direction of everyone on that road? Was he just doing his own thing? Has the NIRA control over its "soldiers"? Was he trained? Or just a kid who practiced sharp shooting on an online game?
Petrol bombs are one thing but firing a gun up a road that had groups of kids / civilians on it? The police were well protected...so why did he even bother firing at them?
I wouldn't waste your time. This one thinks he's knee deep in 1969.

Why not? She was an activist-journalist, a vulture, working against those who seek to free Ireland of the forces of oppression.

Your words.

Had a little PR meeting in the last 48 hours? You’re still a cock.

Why not? She was an activist-journalist, a vulture, working against those who seek to free Ireland of the forces of oppression.

Your words.

Had a little PR meeting in the last 48 hours? You’re still a cock.

She was an activist-journalist.

Like most journalists, she was a vulture

And she was actively against anti-colonial resistance in Ireland.

Doesn't mean she should die though.

I'm curious. Will a return to violence make the aims a united Ireland more or less likely? Or is the breakup of the UK leading towards the inevitable post Brexit?

Back
Top Bottom