Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Man wears bra and fills hotel bath full of potatoes during 'bizarre' binge

Sweet FA

✪ Three rounds Lord, in my .44 ✪
Cheered my Monday morning up anyway :D
The article also helpfully carries a photo of both the Travelodge in question and some potatoes.

James Johnson wears bra and fills hotel bath full of potatoes during 'bizarre' binge | Daily Echo

A MAN found filling his hotel bath with potatoes went on a “bizarre” five-day drug binge with his friends.

James Johnson, 30, was caught by officers wearing a woman’s bra over his shirt and carrying a bag of spuds as he entered the Travelodge in Eastleigh.

His room was searched and an assortment of drugs, including ecstasy, 5-MAPB - similar to MDMA - and psychedelic substance 2CB were found as well as the tub full of potatoes.

When queried by baffled Judge Peter Henry at Southampton Crown Court as to why he had done it, he was told that “it felt like the right thing to do at the time”.

The court heard that Johnson and two friends had come back to his hometown of Eastleigh to go on a one-night binge.

This party, however, turned into a five-night stay with numerous drugs being consumed by the trio.

James Kellam, prosecuting, told the court officers were called when hotel staff smelt a strong whiff of cannabis coming from their room.

Mr Kellam said: “They saw Johnson with the bag of potatoes and in women’s clothing.

“It may be this that led officers to believe that he was intoxicated.”

The number of drugs seized at the hotel and, in a separate search at his home in Ely, led to charges of possession with intent to supply, charges which Johnson pleaded guilty to.

In interview, Johnson said he had bought the drugs on the dark web for around £750.

In interview, Johnson said he had bought the drugs on the dark web for around £750.

However, after testing, a drug expert found that the true value of the drugs was around £300 and that some of the substances had been inert.

Got to wonder what kind of state he'd have ended up in if all his drugs had been real.

9 months of drug rehabilitation?

Christ.

Therein lies the problem with sentencing people to treatment based on their offence, rather than their actual need.

What punishment do you propose instead? It's hardly an imprisonment matter and what would a fine really achieve?

It's a poor advertisement for Travelodges, anyway - while I may not choose to walk around wearing a bra, fill my bath with potatoes, or even to smoke weed, I don't want to stay anywhere that would consider that reason enough to call the cops.
The article mentions a five day party so guessing they were pissing off other guests.

38958c4e060e79b9b930b5ed36c382be_f3946.png

What punishment do you propose instead?
So you're saying he's being sentenced to drug rehabilitation, which he may or may not need, because drug treatment is meant to be punishment?

That's appalling - either punish him or treat him; sentencing someone to therapy-as-punishment with the clear and explicit knowledge that they don't need it (i.e, instead of a fine) is dysfunctional beyond belief. Not only for him, but for the people delivering treatment, and anyone else in treatment alongside him. An utter waste of resources.

I'm not saying anything. I'm asking what sentence the judge should have given?
Well, here are the potential requirements that can be attached to a community order.

Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 11.34.48.png

I don't think it's meaningful to sentence someone to a DRR unless they actually need it. And a 9 month DRR is both pretty large and pretty arbitrary. (I mean, that's a broader issue - how tf can you sentence someone to 9 months of (usually quite vague and directionless and group) treatment? 'Oh, 9 months, that'll be enough.' But there it is.)

And there is a broader 'that's a bit fucking idiotic' point with judges (and before them, the Drug Interventions Programme and similar) sentencing people on the basis that they did something related to drugs, which is the same kind of idiot-think that sends drug dealers with no drug problem to wings filled with people with drug problems. WELL DONE THERE.

And the same kind of problem expands into workers trying to convince people e.g. nicked with half a g of charlie on a Friday night that they really really do have a problem when tbf they're well employed, holding down a relationship, and their main problem is that they've been nicked. But they get off a wee bit lighter if they show they engage and treatment professionals obvs have a real advantage in expanding their client group (look how many people we're helping!!!) and so the BS recruitment of people who arguably are somewhat on the borderline of recreational use into ridiculously long-term or intensive treatment programmes spirals.

It's not like there aren't a fair few options available for both punishment and rehabilitation within community orders. Community payback / service, a curfew, and a prohibition from buying potatoes. For example.

Treatment should lit. only be mandated on the basis of identified need, though. Need for drug treatment, that is. Not need for punishment.

“It may be this that led officers to believe that he was intoxicated.”

Euphemism of the week.

Back
Top Bottom