Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What next for Ed Davey, Action Man?

Sir Ed Davey's appearance on the Liberal Democrats' election broadcast yesterday evening appeared pretty serious:

Certainly pretty serious to have been a member of the government that slashed services for carers, cut disability payments and introduced systems of institutional cruelty.

apparently in this part of the world playing dinosaur themed mini golf

3500.jpg

Finally, here is that promised picture of Ed Davey out on the general election campaign trail today playing adventure golf while a Tyrannosaurus rex looks on.

Wokingham Family Golf in Berkshire advertise the spot as “a brand new 18-hole course taking golfers back to the drama and excitement of the Triassic, Jurassic and Cretaceous ages”.

from here.

hmm.

I've no time for the Lib Dems and I barely know who Ed Davey is, but their campaign has been excellent so far.

It's not a campaign to try and beat impossible odds to take power, it's a means of getting attention as the third in a 2 horse race.

Let Labour and the Tories lie themselves to death doing the serious stuff -meanwhile here's Ed Davey playing mini-golf, falling off a paddleboard, shooting himself out of a cannon; and now you've torn yourself away from the Labour/Tory shitshow here's a serious point about Davey as a carer to his son with disabilities, how government responsibility has been abdicated, and how things need to change.

I'm not voting for the twats, but it is a good campaign nevertheless.

It's almost as though Davey is attempting to distract voters from considering what he did between 20/05/2010 and 08/05/2015
Voters can be selective with what they remember and what they don't. The word "Iraq" can cause some Labour MPs to flinch, and sigh, and wonder if they'll ever be set free from people's opposition to that war. Libdems will be haunted by the coalition years for, well, years

However we're living in a short-term memory era and to many voters, setting up the context of the past to explain why they shouldn't vote the same way in the future is too long a conversation to have at the door while leafleting.

Davey has done pretty well in allowing the election to become all about Con/Lab/Ref while attracting attention the only way small parties know how. I'm certain that 'shy' Libdems will happily return to voting for them on the back of seeing this campaign distance itself from the main event.

Voters can be selective with what they remember and what they don't. The word "Iraq" can cause some Labour MPs to flinch, and sigh, and wonder if they'll ever be set free from people's opposition to that war. Libdems will be haunted by the coalition years for, well, years

However we're living in a short-term memory era and to many voters, setting up the context of the past to explain why they shouldn't vote the same way in the future is too long a conversation to have at the door while leafleting.

Davey has done pretty well in allowing the election to become all about Con/Lab/Ref while attracting attention the only way small parties know how. I'm certain that 'shy' Libdems will happily return to voting for them on the back of seeing this campaign distance itself from the main event.
Or they are going to introduce free entry to theme parks. :hmm:

Certainly pretty serious to have been a member of the government that slashed services for carers, cut disability payments and introduced systems of institutional cruelty.
That pay all back if you broke threshold needs kicking into touch.. Starmer should be being pressed for a commitment on that. MPs with first hand experience of doing care is a good thing....but that does need sorting

Latest Yougov poll put Lib Dems up 4points to 15%, 2pts behind Reform and 3pts behind Tories so this gambit of his might be working.

They could also benefit from being the rejoin EU party as Labour have ruled that out. If they campaign smart on that they could eat into a fair bit of Labour's support.

Latest Yougov poll put Lib Dems up 4points to 15%, 2pts behind Reform and 3pts behind Tories so this gambit of his might be working.

They could also benefit from being the rejoin EU party as Labour have ruled that out. If they campaign smart on that they could eat into a fair bit of Labour's support.
If the EU gets anymore right wing Reform will be the rejoin EU party.

It's almost as though Davey is attempting to distract voters from considering what he did between 20/05/2010 and 08/05/2015

Does there have to be any strategy at all? He knows they're not going to win many seats and if they do it won't be down to a mostly unknown leader, so he's just having a ball.

This probably helps his... image isn't quite the right word for someone who no one would recognise, but it's the closest we've got, so let's go with image - because it makes him seem more relatable and provides more shareable photos than standing at a podium, but that's most likely a total accident.

What would be hilarious would be if there was another coalition, he was the deputy, the leader of the main party resigned, and Ed Davy was the interrim PM (which I think could happen, technically at least) who ended up making world leaders hula-hoop and do the macarena with him. Even though Putin would probably start WWIII from the humiliation of being thrown off a bucking bronco at Chessington World of Adventures.

The libdem campaign is incredible, it's like a situationist art happening intervention. I find it offensive considering the state of the country and the world, but from a pure farce/spectacle point of view it's hard to feel hate to someone hoolahooping and outright rejecting the wear a hi viz and pretend to care routine

Does there have to be any strategy at all? He knows they're not going to win many seats and if they do it won't be down to a mostly unknown leader, so he's just having a ball.

This probably helps his... image isn't quite the right word for someone who no one would recognise, but it's the closest we've got, so let's go with image - because it makes him seem more relatable and provides more shareable photos than standing at a podium, but that's most likely a total accident.

What would be hilarious would be if there was another coalition, he was the deputy, the leader of the main party resigned, and Ed Davy was the interrim PM (which I think could happen, technically at least) who ended up making world leaders hula-hoop and do the macarena with him. Even though Putin would probably start WWIII from the humiliation of being thrown off a bucking bronco at Chessington World of Adventures.
I hope this is the case, but I suspect it’s some carefully crafted strategy to get him in the news. He knows he won’t get newsnight invitations like Nigel Fromage..and the media never add the byline..”leader of the party that fucked the country by going into a coalition with the Tories”

Back
Top Bottom