Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Looming Le Pen - French Election 2022

Poor old Putin won’t know whether to employ his best internet shitfuckery troops trying to divide Europe further by electing a racist scumbag in France or whether to dedicate them to ongoing Ukraine war propaganda. The two events were not supposed to overlap.

What? She's writing about Le Pen (funnily enough) and mentions Macron in passing 4 times (hint use Ctrl-F to search) and yet you take issue with that. Why is that? :confused:

An article that manages to write about the threat of Le Pen and the rightward shift in France without managing to say a word about Macron ?
I think you may have missed some of the nuances there. The author is quite explicit about what she sees as the normalisation of NF ideas over the last years, and Macron is implicated in that even if he isn't named directly. Hence she can say at the end:

Though her momentum appears to have stalled in recent days, Ms. Le Pen is not going away, no matter what happens on Sunday. As a French Muslim citizen born and raised here, I fear for my country.
And it is my country, as much as it is Ms. Le Pen’s or Mr. Macron’s. At a time when politicians and pundits are demanding Muslims “abide by republican values” if they want to be part of the country, it’s instructive that voters may elect a politician whose core ideology violates the values of liberty, equality and fraternity that France has long championed. In that irony lies the gap between what France could be and what it is.

I think you may have missed some of the nuances there. The author is quite explicit about what she sees as the normalisation of NF ideas over the last years, and Macron is implicated in that even if he isn't named directly. Hence she can say at the end:
Yes of course but to be frank why use nuances when it can and should be spelt out ?

Just noticed that CNN Portugal have the Macron v Le Pen debate on TV tonight . ( I'll be watching football actually)

Last debate before the decisive second round on Sunday starts at 20:00​

The last debate before the second round of the French presidential elections between Emmanuel Macron and Marine Le Pen takes place this Wednesday and is broadcast live on CNN Portugal from 20:00.

After a first round in which none of the two candidates achieved more than 50%, next Sunday will be the day of the decision, being certain that one of them will be the next president of France.

In tonight's debate, eight pre-defined topics will be on the table and a ninth one to be chosen by the candidates:

• 1st topic – Purchasing power;
  • 2nd theme – International/Diplomacy (block where Ukraine and Putin will enter);
  • 3rd theme – Pensions, health, social security;
  • 4th theme – Environment/Ecology;
  • 5th theme – Competitiveness of the economy;
  • 6th theme – Youth and Education;
  • 7th theme – Justice;
  • 8th theme – Governance.
At the end of the debate, Emmanuel Macron and Marine Le Pen are entitled to choose a topic of their own choosing for the closing statement.

I am watching le débat on the french channel France 2. They are an hour in front of us in france ( they have 12 time zones around the world! ). It starts at 8pm here, as the poster above clarified today. I think I read on the tv guide that the program finishes at about 11:35 in france, but am not sure when and how long the actual debate starts / finishes.

It's live now on France24 on Freesat channel 205 with English translation, so I assume on Sky & Virgin too, possibly even Freeview.

I'm just in time for her insecurity tirade
possible causes:
1 - immigration
a weak police force need re-arming - they need to be loved...
harder sentences...
e2a: ah yes: more prisons cells

Interesting debate. I'm against Le Pen getting voted in but Macron is such a smug bastard. He really is annoying. I don't envy the French people voting. What a choice!

Le Pen wants a referendum on immigration to change the immigration policy. Removal of criminals from France. French have priority to accommodation, jobs. Asylum seekers should go through Embassies.

Listening to the immigration bit, it sounds very much like Le Pen is setting the agenda. Macron was waffly about the hijab, but at least he didn't give in to the assumptions behind Le Pen's position. Over immigration, he's trying to make himself sound 'hard'. :(

Macron was trying to differentiate about welcomed immigration which is good for the economy and clandestine immigration.

Le Pen actually comes across quite eloquent until she starts talking about immigration and the veil and religion.

'Le peuple est souverain'

Last edited:
She has saved her time for the end, good planning for a debate so she could go on about her referendum, I hate her liked her dad.
Might have to get back into town to vote for the least worst option on Sunday :[

• Sad
Reactions: Lea
Watched it on LCI en direct live | MYTF1 Need to create an account and login.

Panel now deconstructing the debate. Who won the debate?

E2A: Panel seems to think that Le Pen knows that she is going to lose and is maintaining a calm appearance rather than go on the attack. However, there are still 4 days to go...

Last edited:
Seems it still could go either way.

I didn't realise but apparently it is rare recently in France for a President to get a second term.

Been giving Mlle Fire grief for not voting because “Wembley is far”.

I hope she doesn’t help usher in Le Pen.

BBC is saying this particular exit poll has never been wrong wrt the winner of the election while it sometimes has the percentages not 100% right.

The television cameras are all in the champ de mars at the Eiffel Tower where one side will arrive from the left and one from the right of it, so to speak. Theres a huge crowd there. They are waving both french and Europe flags.

Back
Top Bottom