Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Leytonstone tube station "terrorist incident"?

I don't know but I don't think locking someone up for writing stuff on Facebook is the way to go about things tbh. This guy seems like a bit of an idiot but he is probably going to come into contact with people a lot more radicalised than he is while he's inside. It's not going to convince him isis are wrong either is it?

Channel 4 and panorama have done good documentaries about it.
Couldn't agree more.
These documentaries - you mean frex this one?
Channel 4 - News - Dispatches - From Jail To Jihad

Have things changed since then? (*rummages through Howard League stuff should have read*)

If you read my posts the mental health issue is thrown at suicide bombers not jihadists.
the simple way to prove your theory would be to test them for clinical mental illness - test them for anxiety, OCD, depression, psychosis, etc - and, in my opinion, only psychosis would stand as a reasonable defence if they came before a court.

...and i would bet half my mortgage that you would not find signs of clinical mental conditions in all suicide bombers. yes, but not all. (Remember most shrinks have very specific time periods of symptoms for mental illness before they give a diagnosis - i think depression is symptoms for at least 2 months, for example). i don't think mental illness can explain suicide bombers at all. take a rapist, say, who is seriously depressed - if his rapes increase when he is depressed, i would still say the reasons for that (mainly being a horrible cunt) are far more complex than just saying its because of the depression.

Is it worth pointing out that "feeling depressed" is not the same as "suffering from depression"?

The former is something that most people experience at some point in their lives, usually in response to things which have happened to which feeling depressed is a perfectly "normal" and "reasonable" response.

The latter is a potentially seriously debilitating mental health condition where people effectively respond in an "exaggerated" way which most people who haven't experienced depression would regard as "unreasonable", either because they are more affected or because they are affected for longer or even both, to the extent that it can take over people's lives and leave them unable to function.

(apologies to anyone else who has actually experienced the difference if that doesn't fully match your experiences. My description is supposed to be illustrative rather than an attempt to generalise to everyone from my own experience)

Given that you appear not to understand the difference, it's hardly surprising that you've been able to come out with some ridiculous generalisations based on ignorance, without even realising what you're doing...

'Feeling' depressed is not the same as being depressed....Where have I said that?

How can you equate my views this way? You could say someone who says they feel depressed are in fact not depressed but simply fed up. I fully recognise there are different levels of depression from simply feeling 'fed up' to clinical depression (however one quantifies that is difficult and subjective).I have aways acknowledged that.

FYI... I have suffered depression and been prescribed anti-depressants (I don't bang on about is or detail it like others do here... my choice) and seen first hand through family members very serious mental health issues including my mother who was Schizophrenic and my sometimes suicidal daughter who is bi-polar both of whom have the awful experience of being sectioned, so I would hardly say that makes me ignorant or generalising on the matter... but thanks all the same for calling me ignorant and trying to cheapen my view and with that in mind I also accept your apologies.

As for me generalising and being ignorant that's your choice to chuck at me of course , but I would point out my thoughts on the subject that I brought into this thread are also a similar view shared by Professor Adam Lankford of Chicago University who is way more qualified than me or you on the subject of suicide bombers and their mental health state, but I guess in your view he is ridiculous and ignorant too. I would suggest perhaps you could broaden your understanding of the issues I have brought up and go and read up on Professor Adam Lankford and others instead of jumping into conclusions that generalise and talk ignorant shit.

the simple way to prove your theory would be to test them for clinical mental illness - test them for anxiety, OCD, depression, psychosis, etc - and, in my opinion, only psychosis would stand as a reasonable defence if they came before a court.

...and i would bet half my mortgage that you would not find signs of clinical mental conditions in all suicide bombers. yes, but not all. (Remember most shrinks have very specific time periods of symptoms for mental illness before they give a diagnosis - i think depression is symptoms for at least 2 months, for example). i don't think mental illness can explain suicide bombers at all. take a rapist, say, who is seriously depressed - if his rapes increase when he is depressed, i would still say the reasons for that (mainly being a horrible cunt) are far more complex than just saying its because of the depression.

Of course it is more complex than any of us can consider and again at the risk of sounding boring subjective. You could factor in temporary moments of insanity, recklessness, trauma, stress, bereavement, extreme anger or a myriad of other emotions that can rock ones mental state. You could also argue that extreme conviction or beliefs is a form of obsessive behaviour.. The more orthodox sides of Judaism and Islam use the rocking effect when they study scripture, koran or bible to get into an almost trance like state as they absorb content.

And in answer depression is for two months I don't buy that, I would say someone can fall into deep depression very quickly especially if they have suffered the loss of a loved one.

As for a rapist, I would have thought depression dampens sexual feeling more than making you want to go and rape someone.

Go read Adam Lankford to get another view this is all I am saying, everyone here seems steadfast on the conventional view. Mossad target the support groups of suicide bombers because in their view (and this want wash with certain posters here) the suicide bombers are normally mentally ill or high on drugs. Maybe thats just in Israel.

Of course it is more complex than any of us can consider and again at the risk of sounding boring subjective. You could factor in temporary moments of insanity, recklessness, trauma, stress, bereavement, extreme anger or a myriad of other emotions that can rock ones mental state. You could also argue that extreme conviction or beliefs is a form of obsessive behaviour.. The more orthodox sides of Judaism and Islam use the rocking effect when they study scripture, koran or bible to get into an almost trance like state as they absorb content.

And in answer depression is for two months I don't buy that, I would say someone can fall into deep depression very quickly especially if they have suffered the loss of a loved one.

As for a rapist, I would have thought depression dampens sexual feeling more than making you want to go and rape someone.

Go read Adam Lankford to get another view this is all I am saying, everyone here seems steadfast on the conventional view. Mossad target the support groups of suicide bombers because in their view (and this want wash with certain posters here) the suicide bombers are normally mentally ill or high on drugs. Maybe thats just in Israel.
rape about power not about sex

I wouldn't mind, but I've studied deviant/forensic psychology for a long old time now, don't consider myself an expert, but do know that most of the simplistic crap that batboy is coming out with is stuff you get knocked out of you in the first year of a bachelors in psychology, and that attempting to re-define pathologies to suit your pet theory will get you nil points.

Is Professor Adam Lankford then spouting simplistic crap too?.

tbh you haven't been averse to posting ignorant shit on this thread

Its only ignorant to you and others because it doesn't agree with your viewpoint... part of the boring problem with U75.

And besides you should be fucking happy today and not having a go at me!

Its only ignorant to you and others because it doesn't agree with your viewpoint... part of the boring problem with U75.

And besides you should be fucking happy today and not having a go at me!
i am happy but that doesn't mean you haven't posted ignorant shit e.g. about the '81 hunger strikers (which you clearly don't know anything about).

Do you think a person can develop a genuine interest & support for a football team out of sheer force of will because they think it must feel nice - or is it a bit like faith, you probably have to be born into it?

have you ever considered thinking for yourself?
How rude Mr.P! I was asking a real question, it's something that (to me anyway) isn't a stupid question, and not completely irrelevant either: How do you develop real genuine allegiance to a team ? I've never had that experience, you have, what's involved in feeling that way ? I'm not saying you'd kill for Arsenal or anything but .. ? :confused:

How rude Mr.P! I was asking a real question, it's something that (to me) isn't a stupid question, and not completely irrelevant either - how do you develop real genuine allegiance to a team ?
i was not at all rude. do you feel any interest in the area in which the team plays, e.g. north london for arsenal or spurs? the look of the strip only useful insofar as teams which play in blue at home are almost universally supported by cunts.

i was not at all rude. do you feel any interest in the area in which the team plays, e.g. north london for arsenal or spurs? the look of the strip only useful insofar as teams which play in blue at home are almost universally supported by cunts.
Ah, sorry. To be honest I'd need to work on it (territorial feelings) but do have emotional attachment to my patch yes, which is south (ie brixton). So that means I should go to a Dulwich game as a way in?

Ah, sorry. To be honest I'd need to work on it (territorial feelings) but do have emotional attachment to my patch yes, which is south (ie brixton). So that means I should go to a Dulwich game as a way in?
i think you should go to a millwall game as a way in.

Back
Top Bottom