Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Leytonstone tube station "terrorist incident"?

You interpret the above as "you're thick and stupid, batboy". It actually means exactly what it says - that it's near-impossible to convince you of anything, because your mind is already set on your own opinion, even when your opinion isn't an informed one.

Don't put words in my mouth, eh?

Without actual knowledge... implies what?

yeh that's really what he's saying :rolleyes:
Are you seriously telling me that if all your social and personal relationships which gave your life meaning and pleasure are gone, you wouldn't feel depressed?. That's over my head then.

Here have it back.... :rolleyes: ;)

Maybe or depressed...
i'm more like the protagonist in 'the house on the borderland' than some self-pitying sniveller: you appear to believe everyone would be all mopey and sorry for themselves, perhaps imagining they would feel as you would anticipate yourself to.

I've suffered from depression on and off throughout my life as well as an anxiety disorder that's severely effected my life and not once have I felt the urge to flock to the black banner of Jihad and kill some innocent plane/train passengers.

I have never ever said anywhere that all people who suffer from depression or anxiety will become Jihadists or kill someone, the vast majority of people whether in good health or otherwise would not follow the paths you state.

i'm more like the protagonist in 'the house on the borderland' than some self-pitying sniveller: you appear to believe everyone would be all mopey and sorry for themselves, perhaps imagining they would feel as you would anticipate yourself to.

I have never said that...

I have never ever said anywhere that all people who suffer from depression or anxiety will become Jihadists or kill someone, the vast majority of people whether in good health or otherwise would not follow the paths you state.
That's very generous of you. I feel exonerated.

no, it's my post. do you not know the difference between me saying 'you said' and me saying 'you appear to believe'? for shame.

misread it sorry.... but I do not believe everyone would be mopey and dopey... I would think depression manifests in different ways Anger can come out or prelude depression in my view as can simply appearing detached or reclusive.... Note 'my view'....for others benefit.

Well said, the sneering insults, arrogance and barely disguised racism always come from the usual 5 or 6 posters.

Rather than cheering and jeering from the audience, why not actually argue? Could it be that, as ever, you're just throwing shit around in the hope that some sticks?

Another sign of mental instability, no doubt, to our resident expert.

I wouldn't mind, but I've studied deviant/forensic psychology for a long old time now, don't consider myself an expert, but do know that most of the simplistic crap that batboy is coming out with is stuff you get knocked out of you in the first year of a bachelors in psychology, and that attempting to re-define pathologies to suit your pet theory will get you nil points.

I wouldn't mind, but I've studied deviant/forensic psychology for a long old time now, don't consider myself an expert, but do know that most of the simplistic crap that batboy is coming out with is stuff you get knocked out of you in the first year of a bachelors in psychology, and that attempting to re-define pathologies to suit your pet theory will get you nil points.
Didn't mean you, VP.

Not necessarily mentally ill...but definitely in a very distressing place.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Distress, however, can manifest in many ways. You can dissociate, you can manifest aggression, you can manifest avoidance behaviour, to name three fairly common reactions to "losing it all". None of those three are particularly consonant with "depression".

Maybe or depressed...

Is it worth pointing out that "feeling depressed" is not the same as "suffering from depression"?

The former is something that most people experience at some point in their lives, usually in response to things which have happened to which feeling depressed is a perfectly "normal" and "reasonable" response.

The latter is a potentially seriously debilitating mental health condition where people effectively respond in an "exaggerated" way which most people who haven't experienced depression would regard as "unreasonable", either because they are more affected or because they are affected for longer or even both, to the extent that it can take over people's lives and leave them unable to function.

(apologies to anyone else who has actually experienced the difference if that doesn't fully match your experiences. My description is supposed to be illustrative rather than an attempt to generalise to everyone from my own experience)

Given that you appear not to understand the difference, it's hardly surprising that you've been able to come out with some ridiculous generalisations based on ignorance, without even realising what you're doing...

So there's got to be another explanation that's nothing to do with mental health then.

Man jailed for two years over pro-Isis Facebook posts

:hmm:

This guy is obviously a cunt but given that so much jihadist recruitment takes place in prisons I reckon locking him up for two years for a fucking Facebook post is just going to be counterproductive. It's not going to stop him agreeing with isis :facepalm:
It's a serious issue, radicalisation in prisons. Are any steps taken to prevent it or is it just a question of lock em up and forgetaboutit?

It's a serious issue, radicalisation in prisons. Are any steps taken to prevent it or is it just a question of lock em up and forgetaboutit?

I don't know but I don't think locking someone up for writing stuff on Facebook is the way to go about things tbh. This guy seems like a bit of an idiot but he is probably going to come into contact with people a lot more radicalised than he is while he's inside. It's not going to convince him isis are wrong either is it?

Channel 4 and panorama have done good documentaries about it.

Back
Top Bottom