Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Interesting piece about the SDP split

How do you know how I see it?

Can't I object to PFI, PPP and all the rest on the very practical grounds that it has to remove capital from the service to satisfy the needs of the private lenders/partners; i.e. it is more expensive than a socially owned and democratically controlled alternative.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Labour also gave birth to the farce in local government that is commissioning of services, rather than provision - a system that takes a bite out of Social Services budgets even before any money gets spent on those who require services.

This still has nothing to do with the video I posted.

Actually, a lot of the above can be read as a result of the SDP split, and the following political re-trenching by Labour that led to a rightward trajectory in the labour leadership.

Because that's really the only alternative, isn't it? You can either have a neoliberal shit sandwich from Labour, garnished with a few bits of short-term amelioration, or a neoliberal shit sandwich from the Conservatives, garnished with a bit of class hatred.
Either way, you end up chowing down on a shit sandwich.

the more bread you have, the less shit you have to eat.

that joke shows my age:

9c816882a6cb2604a1f2cbcf83e1e6ce.jpg

Blairites would have aleady fucked off if they didn't know that they are entirely reliant on the time and money of people who despise them and who they in turn despise. They are just snakes, the sort of snakes who belong in positions like HR Manager of BUPA. Actually they belong in prison instead.

What like the last Labour Government:

minimum wage, nearly 80k more nurses, 30k more teachers, devolved power in Scotland, overseas aid more than doubled, Winter fuel, waiting times cut in half on NHS, Free school milk, fruit, the Disability Rights Commission, free entry to museums and galleries, the Good Friday agreement, paternity leave, civil partnerships.

Do you need me to list up what the Tories have done since?

Just the same, unless you're those suffering under the Tories.
You lost two elections in a row on a roughly similar platform of policies (which differed little to the Tories). That seems to have escaped your attention.

Most people don't care if something is paid for by a PPP or who runs it day to day as long as it provides the service they need when they need it.
I've heard Tories and right-wing libertarians claim this but they can never provide any evidence to support their claims. Moreover, if you use the word 'most', you need to provide some credible statistics.

You see this is all theoretical stuff. Most people don't care if something is paid for by a PPP or who runs it day to day as long as it provides the service they need when they need it.
Most people don't care, until the concept is explained to them and exactly how badly it fucks things up for the service in the long run and, in turn, how it can fuck things up for them personally. Then they care. A lot.

Most people don't care, until the concept is explained to them and exactly how badly it fucks things up for the service in the long run and, in turn, how it can fuck things up for them personally. Then they care. A lot.

Absolutely correct Nylock. Twin idiots Lesley B and Mad Marrky ought to take note of the explosion of anger surrounding the projected closure of Huddersfield Royal Infirmary A&E dept, threatened by a decision which "largely hinges on the expensive long term PFI deal on Calderdale Royal which means it cannot be sold or mothballed for another 42 years"

Latest Calendar News - ITV News

The Blairite's role on Health care finance has been absolutely shameful, and is continuing to blight the lives of millions of working people in the UK.

Absolutely correct Nylock. Twin idiots Lesley B and Mad Marrky ought to take note of the explosion of anger surrounding the projected closure of Huddersfield Royal Infirmary A&E dept, threatened by a decision which "largely hinges on the expensive long term PFI deal on Calderdale Royal which means it cannot be sold or mothballed for another 42 years"

Latest Calendar News - ITV News

The Blairite's role on Health care finance has been absolutely shameful, and is continuing to blight the lives of millions of working people in the UK.
Is there any need for the working people part of that post? No problem with the rest of it of course.

Is there any need for the working people part of that post? No problem with the rest of it of course.

Eh? You object to the use of "working people"? Maybe i should run any future posts through the butchersapron pedant filter?

i assume you are hung over, but, in the interests of comradely inclusiveness, i accept that there are many 'non working people' who need access to decent health care.

Does that suffice as a corrective?

Eh? You object to the use of "working people"? Maybe i should run any future posts through the butchersapron pedant filter?

i assume you are hung over, but, in the interests of comradely inclusiveness, i accept that there are many 'non working people' who need access to decent health care.

Does that suffice as a corrective?
Once you start using their language they win - avoiding using their language is a good thing to do. Nothing to do with being hungover or any such thing - and def not requiring such a response comrade.

i think i'll stick with using my ain language butchers. if that is ok. i'm somewhat bemused that there are those who regard me as one seeking to enable "their" victory though. Its a first. Still, the labour movement is a broad church i believe. (Does broad church pass the butchers' certification test?) ;)

This still has nothing to do with the video I posted.

You really think so?

A major split to the right in the Labour Party when confronted by a neo-liberal Conservative Party, had no effect on the direction of development of the Labour Party; as I said you really think so?

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Last edited:
Labour also gave birth to the farce in local government that is commissioning of services, rather than provision - a system that takes a bite out of Social Services budgets even before any money gets spent on those who require services.

Not to mention the PFI contracts that are crippling hospital finances.

I didn't realise that the SDP was still on the go, I thought it had been subsumed into the Lib Dems.
Tiny rumps of both the SDP and the Liberal Party who refused to merge into the Lib Dems still exist and pick up the occasional local councillor.

Back
Top Bottom