Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Interesting piece about the SDP split

And New Labour's economic liberalism, privatisation, PFI, private ownership at the cost of social and public provision and ownership - did you support that?

When you have a minute @LeslieB, or @MarkyMarrk? Because frankly its difficult to know what either of you actually believe when you're mostly just regurgitating opinions from blogs and websites and you're incapable of actually arguing anything?

The tedious thing about the Blairite argument is they assume that Labour would win with a right wing leader and policies, the last two elections, changes in electoral boundaries and rules indicates that is very unlikely. Labour are currently likely to lose whatever, so quit the "you all prefer the Tories" crap about the left. If things really get bad, a radical alliance, as recently in other countries might stand a chance - there is more chance of such an electoral deal ( for electoral reform as major policy plank) under Corbyn or other left then under some reheated Blairite. Without electoral reform Labour are probably stuffed for the foreseeable anyhow.......

When you have a minute @LeslieB, or @MarkyMarrk? Because frankly its difficult to know what either of you actually believe when you're mostly just regurgitating opinions from blogs and websites and you're incapable of actually arguing anything?

I posted up a link from the BBC because I found it interesting and thought others might too.

I'm certainly not about to give an in depth explanation of all my political beliefs.....

I posted up a link from the BBC because I found it interesting and thought others might too.

I'm certainly not about to give an in depth explanation of all my political beliefs.....

That wasn't what you were being asked.

What you were asked was, 'New Labour's economic liberalism, privatisation, PFI, private ownership at the cost of social and public provision and ownership - did you support that?'

As this is a UK politics, news and current affairs board that doesn't seem at all unreasonable; so how about it?

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Comparing the neoliberal Labour government of the 00's boom with the neoliberal Tory government of the following depression isn't really comparing like with like - are there any modern western governments hit by the financial crisis which aren't doing similar to the Tories, with varying degrees of enthusiasm?

Why are you so keen to know?

In general terms because we're on a bulletin board discussing politics.

More specifically this particular thread is focusing on ideological and policy differences in the Labour Party.

In both instances the question seems not just relevant, but the very stuff of which these boards should be made.

So once more: 'New Labour's economic liberalism, privatisation, PFI, private ownership at the cost of social and public provision and ownership - did you support that?'

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Maybe it would help if you said why you found it interesting. Some possible reasons might be
  • you think it's a useful (accurate) historical report of something that happened 35 years ago
  • you think it's interesting to see that the various people involved in setting up the SDP are still maintaining broadly the same line they were at the time, even though it proved to be pretty much the end of their careers as politicians with any power or influence
  • you think it has some genuine relevance to what's happening in the Labour party today
  • you think the piece is an attempt to manipulate the agenda to push a particular argument relating to what's happening in the Labour party today
  • you're amazed that Williams, Owen, Rodgers and Hattersley are all still alive and/or that anyone thought it was worth interviewing them about something that happened 35 years ago
Other options are possible, but simply saying something is interesting without saying why you think it's interesting isn't in itself very interesting...

it would be nice if you gave the impression you had some political beliefs

People under 45 will have been children, or not born, in 1981 but this is an interesting video piece about the SDP split from Labour in that year. Even if you already know the story, it's worth watching for the interviews

Gang of Four: Could the Labour Party split again? - BBC News

All that THAT is illustrative of, is the fact that whenever the going gets tough, the Labour right get going - straight out of the party. If the current Parliamentary Labour Party split, it'll not be because the leadership is actually too left-wing, it'll be because venal, power-hungry, self-regarding MPs on Labour's right wing decide to start a new party because they know they've gone as far as they can in Labour. Out of "the gang of four", the only real talent was Jenkins, and even he was past his political prime by '81.

The shits and giggles of decades of Tory government. Sounds brilliant.

Because that's really the only alternative, isn't it? You can either have a neoliberal shit sandwich from Labour, garnished with a few bits of short-term amelioration, or a neoliberal shit sandwich from the Conservatives, garnished with a bit of class hatred.
Either way, you end up chowing down on a shit sandwich.

it would be nice if you gave the impression you had some political beliefs

I'm not sure why everyone is so interested in *my* political beliefs.

I mostly but not exclusively vote Labour.

On most things I'm left of Blair but right of Corbyn. On crime and immigration I'm right of Blair but left of Nigel Farage

OK?

I'm not sure why everyone is so interested in *my* political beliefs.

I mostly but not exclusively vote Labour.

On most things I'm left of Blair but right of Corbyn. On crime and immigration I'm right of Blair but left of Nigel Farage

OK?

And on the specifics?

'New Labour's economic liberalism, privatisation, PFI, private ownership at the cost of social and public provision and ownership - did you support that?'
Cheers - Louis MacNeice

p.s. I didn't support those positions or policies.

You see this is all theoretical stuff. Most people don't care if something is paid for by a PPP or who runs it day to day as long as it provides the service they need when they need it.

1. Longest period of sustained low inflation since the 60s.
2. Low mortgage rates.

Point one and point two were both due to the economic cycle, not to economic good management.

3. Introduced the National Minimum Wage and raised it to £5.52.

Great, a national minimum hourly rate - NOT a "minimum wage", that has trailed behind what people NEED to earn, to receive a "living wage", every year since its creation.

4. Over 14,000 more police in England and Wales.

Inaccurate. That's 14,000 more police and PCSOs, the majority being PCSOs.

5. Cut overall crime by 32 per cent.

Nope. Cut an arbitrary group of crimes that excluded some of the most egregious, by 32%, and doesn't correct for the various changes in recording of crime during Labour's 13 years in power.

6. Record levels of literacy and numeracy in schools.

Based on different literacy metrics to those of the preceding government.

7. Young people achieving some of the best ever results at 14, 16, and 18.

Something that's happened just about every year for the last 35.

8. Funding for every pupil in England has doubled.

No, funding AS AN AVERAGE has doubled. Not the same thing.

9. Employment is at its highest level ever.

How long is a piece of string? What gets counted as employment?

10. Written off up to 100 per cent of debt owed by poorest countries.

More honestly, the debt of very few of the poorest countries has been 100% written off. Some of them haven't even had interest frozen.

But fuck it, let's keep the Tories. Just the same.

I've only critiqued the first 10 points in your list, but that's enough to indicate that whoever compiled it is either foolish or dishonest, because they've gone for the most labour-favourable interpretation for each point, not the most accurate interpretation.

You see this is all theoretical stuff. Most people don't care if something is paid for by a PPP or who runs it day to day as long as it provides the service they need when they need it.

How do you know how I see it?

Can't I object to PFI, PPP and all the rest on the very practical grounds that it has to remove capital from the service to satisfy the needs of the private lenders/partners; i.e. it is more expensive than a socially owned and democratically controlled alternative.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

People do care who runs their public services - the relationship between someone and a publically owned and run public service is quite different to their relationship with a service run for profit.

Consider how people feel about the BBC in comparison to how they feel about the other media companies: there's a lot more goodwill and expectation - ownership I guess. Privatisation, PPP etc are all ways of changing the relationship between the user and the service, as well as simply making money for the private sector. Possibly even it's primary purpose.

Back
Top Bottom