Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Horizon: Should I eat Meat?

Not at all.

Historically Jeff has been the ONLY vegetarian worth reading on these boards, though Fred seems also to be providing some level of debate, in contrast to the usual vacuousness delivered by yourself and other veggies on these threads.
What a really, really stupid and insulting remark.

editor, you will be told and told and questioned and picked and demanded evidence of until you shut up or get fed up
it is how all these threads go these days

But this will never, ever happen. So let's aim for something achievable instead - the reduction of intensive farming methods, more humane farming practices, a reduction in the use of pesticides, embrace the idea of locally grown/reared food to reduce transport mileage etc etc

It will never, ever happen whilst we continue to accept the logic and inevitability of our current use of animals. We can as individuals reject that in the here in and now. We can also come together collectively to create alternatives. Our current practices are a choice we make as individuals and as a society, let us not pretend otherwise.

Reactions: bmd
Are you honestly trying to deny that humankind has eaten meat since we first crawled out of the swamp :confused:
I'm sorry to disappoint you here, but you are indeed Lord Wrong, ruler of Incorrectland.

Shattering The Meat Myth: Humans Are Natural Vegetarians

Dr. T. Colin Campbell, professor emeritus at Cornell University and author of The China Study, explains that in fact, we only recently (historically speaking) began eating meat, and that the inclusion of meat in our diet came well after we became who we are today. He explains that "the birth of agriculture only started about 10,000 years ago at a time when it became considerably more convenient to herd animals. This is not nearly as long as the time [that] fashioned our basic biochemical functionality (at least tens of millions of years) and which functionality depends on the nutrient composition of plant-based foods."

That jibes with what Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine President Dr. Neal Barnard says in his book, The Power of Your Plate, in which he explains that "early humans had diets very much like other great apes, which is to say a largely plant-based diet, drawing on foods we can pick with our hands. Research suggests that meat-eating probably began by scavenging--eating the leftovers that carnivores had left behind. However, our bodies have never adapted to it. To this day, meat-eaters have a higher incidence of heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and other problems."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kathy-freston/shattering-the-meat-myth_b_214390.html

Humans can get all the nutrition we need in a variety of ways, hence our success on every continent save antarctica.

Problem is that you can't win the argument that meat is wrong. Too many people are just fine with eating meat. But imo an argument centred on welfare, environment and sustainability can gain plenty of traction. But to do that you need to stop telling meat eaters they are doing an evil thing.

What do meat eaters think about some of the more intensive farming methods (i.e. the methods by which a large amount of meat is produced?).
Certainly most of the red meat you get in shops is not produced using intensive farming methods, poultry is another story and I would search out free range stuff.

It will never, ever happen whilst we continue to accept the logic and inevitability of our current use of animals. We can as individuals reject that in the here in and now. We can also come together collectively to create alternatives. Our current practices are a choice we make as individuals and as a society, let us not pretend otherwise.
But I don't see how or why we're suddenly going to change thousands of years of well, what humans do. Let's get rid of all the horrible farming practices first, then see where we might go after that.

What a really, really stupid and insulting remark.

Didn't man to insult (well perhaps Draig) but it's true.

These threads always go the same way. A few vegetarians bring up environmental impact and animal suffering, they're addressed by the meat eaters whom they largely ignore, moral high ground is sought by all, bunfight ensues, and Draig sits on the sidelines occasionally popping in to intimate that it's the meat eaters who are obviously in the wrong and debate is pointless.

JR engages in a polite and informed way that requires some thought to respond to.

Humans can get all the nutrition we need in a variety of ways, hence our success on every continent save antarctica.

Problem is that you can't win the argument that meat is wrong. Too many people are just fine with eating meat. But imo an argument centred on welfare, environment and sustainability can gain plenty of traction. But to do that you need to stop telling meat eaters they are doing an evil thing.
I'm not saying meat is wrong, but I will say that many of the intensive farming methods are wrong (to my ethics, maybe not yours), and there's growing evidence that a meat heavy diet can lead to fairly catastrophic environmental and health problems.

I'm sorry to disappoint you here, but you are indeed Lord Wrong, ruler of Incorrectland.
This is bullshit. The inuit are proof of that. Total speculative bullshit. On my phone, but i've linked to decent science on this before. Humans have eaten meat for as long as humans have been around. And we are flexible. That is our evolutionary heritage.

Didn't man to insult (well perhaps Draig) but it's true.

These threads always go the same way. A few vegetarians bring up environmental impact and animal suffering, they're addressed by the meat eaters whom they largely ignore, moral high ground is sought by all, bunfight ensues, and Draig sits on the sidelines occasionally popping in to intimate that it's the meat eaters who are obviously in the wrong and debate is pointless.

JR engages in a polite and informed way that requires some thought to respond to.
why do you want to insult me?

This is bullshit. The inuit are proof of that. Total speculative bullshit. On my phone, but i've linked to decent science on this before. Humans have eaten meat for as long as humans have been around. And we are flexible. That is our evolutionary heritage.
Oh OK. You must know better than the professor emeritus at Cornell University, what with all your qualifications and shizzle. I'll look forward to your peer reviewed paper refuting his claims.

Problem is that you can't win the argument that meat is wrong. Too many people are just fine with eating meat. But imo an argument centred on welfare, environment and sustainability can gain plenty of traction.
I think too many people are fine with the poor welfare and environmental aspects, as well.
I think the majority of people don't really care, when it comes down to it.

Back
Top Bottom