Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Should people in "the live arts" do another job until this blows over?

Don't have much to add to the thread except to laugh at all the olds claiming that cyber isn't a real thing, or hasn't been a real thing for 20+ years.

My organisation has had a head of cyber security for 5+ years now and offers an MSc in it. It's one of the fastest growing areas of IT at the moment, and there's a massive lack of expertise and talent, so it's no surprise that there's a drive to get people trained/recruited in that area.

Shit advert though obvs, and doesn't mean people could/should ditch their careers in the arts and be parachuted into cyber security with minimal retraining.

Think the point is that talking about 'cyber' on its own doesn't mean anything. Cyber security, cyber crime, cyber whatever, sure. But saying 'you have a job or work in cyber', nah. I've never ever heard someone who works in the industry say they 'work in cyber'. (We're mainly assuming they mean 'cyber security' because that's what makes most sense in this context.)

Think the point is that talking about 'cyber' on its own doesn't mean anything. Cyber security, cyber crime, cyber whatever, sure. But saying 'you have a job or work in cyber', nah. I've never ever heard someone who works in the industry say they 'work in cyber'. (We're mainly assuming they mean 'cyber security' because that's what makes most sense in this context.)
I don't think that's what most of the dinosaurs on the thread were thinking, but I do agree with you that cyber should usually be accompanied by something implying more specificity and that it's slightly clumsy on the part of the ad copywriters.

Maybe people thought Fatima should become a Cybergoth - Wikipedia

Cybergoths.jpg

Everyone I know calls it "infosec" or "IT security", or uses other terms more specific to their speciality. "Cyber-security" is certainly a rubbish but existing term. "Cyber" is just wank and will be the basis of piss-takes amongst developers for a while now.

(For anyone interested, infosec as a term is not actually specific to computers, though it's frequently used as that as a large amount of information is stored and accessed via computers. I mean "IT" basically means "computers" now too.)

It's also worth mentioning btw that "learn to code" has been a line used by right wing trolls for a while now, which makes the ads seem particularly insensitive.

Everyone I know calls it "infosec" or "IT security", or uses other terms more specific to their speciality. "Cyber-security" is certainly a rubbish but existing term. "Cyber" is just wank and will be the basis of piss-takes amongst developers for a while now.

(For anyone interested, infosec as a term is not actually specific to computers, though it's frequently used as that as a large amount of information is stored and accessed via computers. I mean "IT" basically means "computers" now too.)
Yeah, think most people say they work in security. I only ever hear 'infosec' when they're talking about the 'infosec policy"... ;)

Cyber tends to be used by management and HR types.

Anyone working with computers calls it something more descriptive and actually useful based on the role.

Cyber tends to be used by management and HR types.

Anyone working with computers calls it something more descriptive and actually useful based on the role.
Yep. 'Cyber' really is something of a niche and mainly outdated term this days, no matter what some ageist posters think.

I've declined to take up the government's advice that I should retrain to become an actor or a boxer because it would be a catastrophic waste of energy, and the kind of jobs that unemployed creatives normally fall into - pub/restaurant work etc - is completely over subscribed.

It suggested actor? :facepalm:

Mind you if you become a professional boxer I promise to buy a ticket for the stream.:p

Yep. 'Cyber' really is something of a niche and mainly outdated term this days, no matter what some ageist posters think.
It's really not. It's widely used and is becoming more widely used all the time.

You can do post-grad qualifications in it at my local university, which seeks to 'address the cyber skills gap' (their words, not mine) and you can find articles all over the place talking about 'cyber skills' etc., e.g. West of England region aims to lead the way in cyber

A major new regional initiative is being launched aimed at addressing the cyber skills shortage in the region.

The University of the West of England (UWE Bristol) has partnered with leading cyber organisations including Cyber Security Challenge UK, Leonardo, South West Police Regional Cyber Crime Unit, Bristol & Bath Cyber, High Tech Bristol & Bath, Immersive Labs, Graphic Science and Weston College to set up Do Cyber. The project will help raise awareness, create and deliver opportunities for young people in order for them to develop the necessary skills needed to work in cyber. It is an area which has the biggest global growth potential for jobs.

It's really not. It's widely used and is becoming more widely used all the time.

You can do post-grad qualifications in it at my local university, which seeks to 'address the cyber skills gap' (their words, not mine) and you can find articles all over the place talking about 'cyber skills' etc., e.g. West of England region aims to lead the way in cyber
The government referred to getting a job in 'cyber.' Not cyber security.
They probably meant IT.

The government referred to getting a job in 'cyber.' Not cyber security.
They probably meant IT.

The article I linked to from two years ago is advertising an project called, 'Do Cyber' specifically to 'develop skills to work in cyber'. It does sound wanky and you might not like it, but it's not niche or outdated.

Of course I'm not saying it's impossible if you have the right sort of previous experience/qualifications/aptitude (it sounds like went from one office job to another) but right now it is incredibly hard for an unqualified older person - particularly one who has made a career in the entertainment industry - to find any kind of work. There's far fewer jobs around and ageism is still rife amongst employers.
I don't think that's what most of the dinosaurs on the thread were thinking, but I do agree with you that cyber should usually be accompanied by something implying more specificity and that it's slightly clumsy on the part of the ad copywriters.

View attachment 234316

Wow. I think most people on this thread were quite aware of that, except perhaps the people saying that retraining in "cyber" could be a good idea, since it's not really something a ballerina, warehouse worker, call-centre worker or anyone else could just retrain to work in within a year or two.

Your boss has an MSc in Cyber, which he'll have got after either many years experience in his job, or an undergrad degree plus experience. It's not a job you get into with an ECDL.

"Dinosaurs." :rolleyes:

Seeing as no one has here ever even suggested that they are 'due indefinite renumeration because they prefer DJing" could you explain why you keep going on and on about this topic?
Put bluntly, the skill set offered by an out of work musician/entertainer/DJ/PA technician etc isn't exactly in demand, and for some it's too much to expect them to be able to just completely change careers, both mentally and physically.

View attachment 234316
Speaking as a dinosaur, I didn't think 'cyber security'. I didn't think anything. I have absolutely no idea what is meant by 'cyber' beyond that it must be something to do with computers.

As for the ads, I think some people are missing the point about the absurdity of all this. For starters, retraining is expensive. You have to take out big loans and find a way to pay the rent while you're doing it. By the time your retraining has finished, the jobs ended by covid19 will be back and going again. So presumably there'll be huge competition in 'cyber' between all the retrained after their first jobs, and nobody to do the arts jobs that are coming back on line. What people out of work cos of c19 need is money right now, not some patronising bullshit about retraining that would cost them money.

'tweety pie' got made redundant from his IT type job because of the plague.

he's not got anything else yet.

maybe too many ballet dancers are applying for the same jobs...

Back
Top Bottom