Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Should people in "the live arts" do another job until this blows over?

Paramedic, copper or Royal Marines Officer.

Ummm...

Paramedic I get but the other two? I'd be the worlds worst plod and im 58 and female so RM Officer is completely laughable

Hopefully by the end of the course he will be safely shifting keys, have bare bitcoin and be totally untraceable
The thought did cross my mind. They made him promise only to use his skills for good not evil (this actually happened), but I’m not sure how seriously a 15yo takes that. Especially an incredibly immature one :rolleyes: Put it this way, I am still intercepting any mail and regularly search his room, and I give no shits about his “human rights”.

The thought did cross my mind. They made him promise only to use his skills for good not evil (this actually happened).
:D
Young Ed's last week...

FingersCrossedBehindBack_Dollarphotoclub_79404165.jpg

My kid did a cyber security course this year run by GCHQ and NCA. Ironically, he was identified for the course because he was using the dark web to buy drugs whilst concurrently winning a local plod competition on cyber security. These people do use the word cyber. Is it different skill set to to developers? I have no fucking clue about any of it.

Me neither. I would be pretty useless if attempting to retrain as a software developer, people aren't infinitely adaptable.

The thought did cross my mind. They made him promise only to use his skills for good not evil (this actually happened), but I’m not sure how seriously a 15yo takes that. Especially an incredibly immature one :rolleyes: Put it this way, I am still intercepting any mail and regularly search his room, and I give no shits about his “human rights”.
Mum's have an automatic exemption to any human rights legislation

Cyber security, penetration testing etc are kind of very specialized roles that not all that many people do. You need to have quite advanced programming skills, plus a lot of the skills you'd associate with sysadmin type work as well, plus a whole boatload of stuff that's pretty specific to that job, like knowing about what exploits are likely to be present in the wild, social engineering etc. All fascinating stuff but would not be my first recommendation if you've been laid off from the Royal Ballet and are wondering what to do next.

Cyber security, penetration testing etc are kind of very specialized roles that not all that many people do. You need to have quite advanced programming skills, plus a lot of the skills you'd associate with sysadmin type work as well, plus a whole boatload of stuff that's pretty specific to that job, like knowing about what exploits are likely to be present in the wild, social engineering etc. All fascinating stuff but would not be my first recommendation if you've been laid off from the Royal Ballet and are wondering what to do next.
It's surprising from what fields people go into IT from. Freecodecamp and Khan Academy etc are very real avenues to new careers without qualification

Yes, the opportunities become almost infinite as people hit their 50s and 60s.

:facepalm:
I did actually change career at 50, I went from sales at Sky TV to working on the New Tax Credit helpline as a Civil Se4rvant.

That was driven by desire for a change though, rather than from necessity. Sales at Sky for eight years is punishment enough for anyone. :)

I did actually change career at 50, I went from sales at Sky TV to working on the New Tax Credit helpline as a Civil Se4rvant.

That was driven by desire for a change though, rather than from necessity. Sales at Sky for eight years is punishment enough for anyone. :)
Of course I'm not saying it's impossible if you have the right sort of previous experience/qualifications/aptitude (it sounds like went from one office job to another) but right now it is incredibly hard for an unqualified older person - particularly one who has made a career in the entertainment industry - to find any kind of work. There's far fewer jobs around and ageism is still rife amongst employers.

I changed from a career to a job at the age of 56. For a variety of reasons I wasn't able to work in computer animation anymore and now I'm a receptionist at a crisis center. The only reason why I'm able to do this is because my mortgage is paid off. If I had to pay rent or a mortgage, I would barely be able get along on my current wages.

Last edited:
Don't have much to add to the thread except to laugh at all the olds claiming that cyber isn't a real thing, or hasn't been a real thing for 20+ years.

My organisation has had a head of cyber security for 5+ years now and offers an MSc in it. It's one of the fastest growing areas of IT at the moment, and there's a massive lack of expertise and talent, so it's no surprise that there's a drive to get people trained/recruited in that area.

Shit advert though obvs, and doesn't mean people could/should ditch their careers in the arts and be parachuted into cyber security with minimal retraining.

What's been hard for me (and people like me) is that I've earned my living making relatively small amounts of money from multiple jobs (band, DJ, journalist, photographer, promoter, designer) and because they're often all linked, you can end up losing all of your income. Which is what happened to me.

I've declined to take up the government's advice that I should retrain to become an actor or a boxer because it would be a catastrophic waste of energy, and the kind of jobs that unemployed creatives normally fall into - pub/restaurant work etc - is completely over subscribed.

Back
Top Bottom