Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Horizon: Should I eat Meat?

1246155091436-199x300.jpg

How do they get the pig to sit still?

I won't even eat Linda Mccartney's sausages - too realistic
I've just had some of those today and you're right - they're probably the closest tasting to meat sausage out there. I am not vegetarian, but I have made an conscious effort to eat less meat. The only meat I have in my freezer is chicken, the rest is quorn based stuff or foodstuffs made up of vegetables.

Had a quorn/celery/carrot/passata bolognaise last night, it was delicious...the kids said they preferred it to the minced beef version. The only thing is that theirs still had a spoonful of Bovril in, mine didn't.

Is there a veggie alternative to Bovril?

Yeast extract - not necessarily Marmite or similarly salty alternatives.
If you've never tried this, it's a bit of a revelation :-

vitamr2.jpg

Very expensive as it's specially made from molasses rather than being recycled brewers' waste - but the small jars work are cost-effective - it doesn't last for years like Marmite - dries out - though that leaves it fine for use as bouillon.

I thought about using Marmite, I always have it in and love the taste. Wasn't sure you could cook with it though.

I thought about using Marmite, I always have it in and love the taste. Wasn't sure you could cook with it though.
I use marmite (or supermarket own brand equivalent) when making a a veggie curry / bolognese and cook with it no problems. As I'm extremely new to this meat substitute malarkly, I can say that a bit of yeast extract adds a more 'beefy' flavour to the mix.:thumbs:

14 days, still not had any meat (well, except fish). I'm going pescatarian until at least the end of the month.

Funny thing, very nearly made myself a hot OXO drink as it's freezing and I had some in the drawer here at work. Just stopped myself in time....read the ingredients and it has such stuff as 'dried beef bonestock', so I'm glad I didn't drink it.

There's miso as well - comes in several types - and of course two different kinds of soy sauce - shoyu and tamari which is richer.

as i was going veggy i stopped eating meat and fish for a month and then when i tried to eat a tuna sandwich after that month i found i just couldnt handle the texture and digestive strain - a month without seemed to completely reset my system. There were other mental factors going on too though, but at that point i was up for sticking with fish, but my body refused it.
good luck mwgdrwg

as i was going veggy i stopped eating meat and fish for a month and then when i tried to eat a tuna sandwich after that month i found i just couldnt handle the texture and digestive strain - a month without seemed to completely reset my system.

Funny you say that - I'm not very well at the moment and I'm really noticing the difference in the effort required to digest meat as opposed to veggie stuff.

Funny you say that - I'm not very well at the moment and I'm really noticing the difference in the effort required to digest meat as opposed to veggie stuff.
humans are not carnivores - we have a long intestine which we inherited from herbivore primates - okay, not strictly true as our branch of primate cousins are technically omnivorous and eat a tiny amount of meat, but usually this is the dead bodies of other monkeys which theyve killed in fights and feast on in victory and give to femal monkeys to show off! IIRC :hmm: Remember reading that once...

Anyhow It is not a major part of their diet. So yeah, humans are omnivorous, but heavily at the herbivore end of that scale...our intestines and digestive system just isn't designed to deal with meat

Inuits and Mongolians must be very unhealthy then.
fish is easier to digest than red meats, but fact is long intestine is long and is evolutionary speaking designed for herbivorousness

article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kathy-freston/shattering-the-meat-myth_b_214390.html

Sure, most of us are "behavioral omnivores"--that is, we eat meat, so that defines us as omnivorous. But our evolution and physiology are herbivorous, and ample science proves that when we choose to eat meat, that causes problems, from decreased energy and a need for more sleep up to increased risk for obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and cancer.

Old habits die hard, and it's convenient for people who like to eat meat to think that there is evidence to support their belief that eating meat is "natural" or the cause of our evolution. For many years, I too, clung to the idea that meat and dairy were good for me; I realize now that I was probably comforted to have justification for my continued attachment to the traditions I grew up with.

But in fact top nutritional and anthropological scientists from the most reputable institutions imaginable say categorically that humans are natural herbivores, and that we will be healthier today if we stick with our herbivorous roots. It may be inconvenient, but it alas, it is the truth.
Further editing services available at very reasonable rates.
i was going for maximum outrage and point making :cool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom