Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Horizon: Should I eat Meat?

I suppose the most efficient solution is for everyone to just eat less meat, a change of habit is probably easier than some of the alternatives.....

Someone who has chosen not to have kids is already light years behind a vegetarian family in terms of environmental footprint .

Interesting to think of children in terms of lightening one's 'environmental footprint'; as if they were to be tallied up with plastic shopping bags, and leaving the lights on when out of the room.

I'm sorry to disappoint you here, but you are indeed Lord Wrong, ruler of Incorrectland.

Over the course of the last 200 years, humans from the so called 'civilized world' [within which term is included the use of agricultural methods], have made contact with aboriginal people in various parts of the world who still lived a hunter-gatherer existence. Not only did they obtain sustenance from plants, they also got it from insects and animals, as available.

No reason to think that the forebears of the people who eventually developed agriculture were any different.

Interesting to think of children in terms of lightening one's 'environmental footprint'; as if they were to be tallied up with plastic shopping bags, and leaving the lights on when out of the room.

There's no 'need' to have children. There are enough people on this planet. The more people there are, the greater enviromental impact humans have.

There's no 'need' to do anything. But just like every other living organism on the planet, humans have children. It's just what happens. It's more integral to the life of the world than are any calculations about necessity.

So are you saying 'practicality' doesn't come into deciding if you have kids and how many? Just some fuzzy idea of 'kids are nice'.

People have been having kids, or choosing not to have them, forever. What is novel is that recently, they are apparently doing it out of a desire to bring about planetary betterment. :)

So are you saying 'practicality' doesn't come into deciding if you have kids and how many? Just some fuzzy idea of 'kids are nice'.
In much of the modern world there is no economic reason to have kids. Indeed there are many direct reasons not to. So yes it mostly boils down to fuzzy 'kids are nice'. Tbh I find it a strange perversion to laud childlessness. To bring up a child is to subordinate your individual needs for a wider good. Anyone who does not have kids owes something to those who do for their future wellbeing. The reverse is not true.

Internal arguments about this right now....you can buy free range and locally sourced but the animal still gets killed, it does still suffer.

I thought maybe I could do pescetarianism as I love seafood. Then I remembered the hermit crab taught to ring a bell and it made me sad.

I will watch the.programme tomorrow and feel guilty for a bit I expect. :(

wtf?? i am a vegi and don't think it is ok to eat fish, nor do most vegi's
people who eat fish and claim to be vegi are making it difficult for the rest of us
I have a vegetarian friend. She eats fish.

And pork chops and sausage.
And beef burgers.
And chicken. But only the skin.

She is not a very good vegetarian.

I know fish are free range and live happy lives, but they generally suffer the cruellest deaths of all animals when being caught for the table - slow suffocation. I don't get the 'veggie' stance of 'it's okay to eat fish'. What the fuck do they think a fish is?
I'm not a vegetarian... I'm a mammal who chooses not to each my fellow mammals. It might be morally wrong for me to eat fish and birds, but at least I'm moving in the right direction. Maybe when I am more able to control my own life, I'll stop eating them.

what do they say when people say they're not a vegi?
she spent the first 37 years of her life as a very strict one. brought up that way. then one day she just went and bought a cheeseburger.
so she knows she really isn't one anymore. just refuses to say it out loud.

Back
Top Bottom