Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Holyrood elections May 2021

Oh, I'm with you. I liked this one too, presenting losing one of your five seats and a reduction in your percentage of the vote as some kind of triumph (((Willie Rennie))). :D

Scottish Lib Dem leader Willie Rennie: "We have had some astonishing constituency results, with almost half the vote in Shetland, more in Orkney and North East Fife and the highest vote for any constituency since the formation of the Scottish Parliament in Edinburgh Western. It is frustrating that we weren’t able to move the dial in other constituencies and on the regional lists.

There's an argument they were only really particularly strong in some of their constituency seats as well because of the obvious tactical vote switches. For a lot of unionists they were the easy switch vote - not as toxic as the Tories for Labour supporters, and not as "left" as Labour for Tory backers. At this point it's basically a bunch of independent unionists who are fairly strong on localism more than a coherent national political party. Their branding is relatively inoffensive and on some stuff they do okay, but there's little to differentiate them from Labour for the most part, and most of the electorate have basically given up on them in constituencies they don't already hold. If they lose any of their current four in future, wouldn't be surprising to see Labour/Tories become the main opposition party - as was the in 2017 UK election when some former Lib Dem strongholds from before 2015 suddenly had the Tories as the main challengers to the SNP.

Labour MP Ian Murray: "We came into this campaign looking to stop the rot. Anas Sarwar has led from the front and he has won this election in terms of the party leaders and has put Scottish Labour back on the park. We are optimistic and looking forward to the future now."
:hmm:

Presume Murray sort of muddled his words a bit, but the spin from Labour that this was an okay result due to where they'd been under Leonard is more than a bit odd - the goal for them was clearly to make slight gains and overtake the Tories in second, and on that front they completely failed. The message of "unity over division" didn't really cut through even though voters don't like Sarwar because at the end of the day politics is ultimately divisive - a large part of the Labour pitch seems to be nostalgia for the past where most of the country voted for them unquestioningly and didn't really bother with politics beyond that. Not to mention that the constitutional question means seats Labour either held or were once competitive in have solely become SNP/Tory battles, Eastwood being a good example. Hard to see a route back into government for them as a result of that in future.

If they lose any of their current four in future, wouldn't be surprising to see Labour/Tories become the main opposition party - as was the in 2017 UK election when some former Lib Dem strongholds from before 2015 suddenly had the Tories as the main challengers to the SNP.
The Lib Dems aren't the main opposition party in Scotland. :confused:

Oh my god, the UK media are so incredibly uniformed about Scottish politics. Yet they feel entitled to pontificate authoritatively.

I read one take that said the Scottish Greens had bucked the trend for junior partners in government coalition to be punished by the electorate. The Greens were not party to any coalition. There was no coalition. Do they not even know that? This is basic stuff. How do they not know?

It makes me realise that their confident pontification on other countries is probably bollocks too.

Oh my god, the UK media are so incredibly uniformed about Scottish politics. Yet they feel entitled to pontificate authoritatively.

I read one take that said the Scottish Greens had bucked the trend for junior partners in government coalition to be punished by the electorate. The Greens were not party to any coalition. There was no coalition. Do they not even know that? This is basic stuff. How do they not know?

It makes me realise that their confident pontification on other countries is probably bollocks too.
Yes. Most people are completely uninformed. Although I suppose the ones I encounter aren't professional media types. (A friend did point out to me yesterday that the Greens were pro-independence which was...helpful as I had no idea!)

The Lib Dems aren't the main opposition party in Scotland. :confused:

Sorry I phrased that badly - in seats they currently hold I mean. Once they lose those seats they'll probably struggle to even challenge for them - unionist vote basically what is holding them up there at the moment.

The Lib Dems lost their deposit in 50 seats!
I think you'll find it was actually a triumph!

Scottish Lib Dem leader Willie Rennie: "We have had some astonishing constituency results, with almost half the vote in Shetland, more in Orkney and North East Fife and the highest vote for any constituency since the formation of the Scottish Parliament in Edinburgh Western. It is frustrating that we weren’t able to move the dial in other constituencies and on the regional lists.'

:thumbs:

I'm talking about post independence .
I know, and my answer stands :), there is NO Scottish Labour, they would have to reregister or start a new party as would the tories and the libdums. As to how folk will vote once we have independence who knows? I am hoping there will be new left wing parties started

Less amusingly, Sleepy Cuddles and his ragbag of hypertensive bigots & fundamentalists aren’t going away. Not clear if he personally will be, though.

They’re busy running around blaming everyone who didn’t vote for them (in other words, everyone) for being idiots. No sense from them that they understand that the public just didn’t want to vote for them.

(incidentally also no sense from them that they can tell the difference between SNP activists and the general voting public).

Another tweet, sorry. It’s a video of Salmond, visibly drunk, accusing others of being graceless while being ... graceless. And comparing himself to Trump. While sycophants (including Iain Lawson) indulge his rant.

It is tempting to presume that the vacuum Trump created for him was actually an 'innovative' Covid treatment that involved a hoover with a special rectal attachment.

I am sad that we havent been treated to more electoral analysis from redcogs, especially as in March he described comparisons of Salmond to Trump as being ludicrous off the wall stuff. Salmond is off the wall all right, and all the kinds horses and all the kings men, couldnt put that spent force back together again.

Back
Top Bottom