Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

SNP leadership election (2023)

I do recall Winnie & Margaret
Fergus is a former minister for this and that, energy being one. He’s pro new oil and low key homophonic. He abstains or votes against equality measures but says little about it. He’s held in regard by the right of the party, but was the subject of bullying complaints by civil servants and Sturgeon “overlooked him” in subsequent cabinet reshuffles.

He backs Forbes and says she reminds him of his mother.

I would say though that Forbes doesn’t remind me of Winnie. She reminds me of a primary school teacher who is doing assembly for the first time because the head is sick, but the kids know she lacks the authority and are swapping Pokémon cards openly.

I would say though that Forbes doesn’t remind me of Winnie. She reminds me of a primary school teacher who is doing assembly for the first time because the head is sick, but the kids know she lacks the authority and are swapping Pokémon cards openly.
Thank fuck I went to Catholic school, no teachers like that. In between the religious pish there was a little bit of joy or humour.

Probably not

Humza look a shoo-in with Forbes looking mad, and Regan struggling to do anything other than flatline on the relevanceogram

Party machine fully behind Humza who will win a relatively hollow contest. It's interesting that there's been little focus on policy, such is the toxicity of the campaign, and however big a majority Humza wins the toxicity will continue to undermine his leadership from day one.

Long, slow entropy lies ahead for the SNP. I expect a gradual drift back towards Labour in some seats.

Being a Green seems increasingly the right decision. Even if only because I know what they stand for. Who knows where the snp will end up on the left-right spectrum?

After reading about last night's debate, I have no desire to watch it...

The Greens like everyone else are bought and sold for ministerial limousines.

The membership may have some principles somewhere but the leadership (Lying Lorna Slater being trotted out in parliament to explain why the cornerstone national energy company policy was ditched in favour of privatising renwables / the sea bed for a song) will adjust their principles to whatever the desirable outcome of the day is.

I've been rubbed the wrong way by the Greens trying to stop the dualling of the A9. It's a pretty primitive road in parts which claims many lives. Fair enough if they were going to oppose road upgrades in areas already highly urban/developed, but we are talking about the Highlands. Its as if we are scared that the cultural richness of the Highlands will be diluted by good infrastructure. Actually comparable with the crazy ideas of De Valera or even Pol Pot. Had high hopes, but an absolute let down. Bought and sold for BP gold.

Is the A9 the road that goes up by Fort William? There was a fatal accident on that road when I was up that way a couple of years back. Lots of cyclists & I'd be supportive of anything that would at least protect them.

Is the A9 the road that goes up by Fort William? There was a fatal accident on that road when I was up that way a couple of years back. Lots of cyclists & I'd be supportive of anything that would at least protect them.
Thats the A82 which is even worse. Unfortunately they are a very Lowland city based party. Of course there is a case for decreasing individual car usage, but opposing the upgrading of death traps in rural areas is putting the cart before the horse. A9 is John o Groats to Inverness, Perth and Glasgow.

Nah, A9 goes up through Pitlochry to Inverness - the A82 is the road you're on about. It's utterly lethal, it's nothing more than a B road in many places, yet it supposed to take all the HGV's that support Fort Bill, Oban, the Islands, as well as all the tourism that supports the economies. The railway that (broadly) follows the same route is equally constricted - and obviously no one would think of using the sea as a highway...

Ash Regan comes across as an incredibly nervous public speaker. Talks some nonsense, but some interesting ideas too. I guess she's the devil we don't know!

Anyone watching the C4 debate? I cannot bear Humza positioning himself as the reasonable, collaborative candidate.

Back
Top Bottom