Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

SNP leadership election (2023)

Yep I followed the leadership contest through muscle memory rather than anything else really. That's more than enough electoral flatulence for the time being

So who 'missed' Dross's concerns about Humza's competence. (Was just played on the radio.) I mean Humza likely is pretty shit but y'know, Dross. :thumbs:

Forbes out. Seems she was offered a demotion she was never going to accept (finance minister is equivalent of chancellor).

Kate Forbes: Defeated SNP leadership candidate leaves government Kate Forbes: Defeated SNP leadership candidate leaves government

I guess we have an answer to this question

Can Humza Yousaf unite the SNP?

Judging by the way members voted, Forbes has a significant level of support within the party and this obvious snub may not go down too well with them...

I guess we have an answer to this question

Can Humza Yousaf unite the SNP?

Judging by the way members voted, Forbes has a significant level of support within the party and this obvious snub may not go down too well with them...

It’s an odd decision, as presumably Forbes wil now sit on ‘the backbenches’ and critique Humza’s decision making and build support and alliances with others.

Coming from a winner who commanded less than 50% of the vote and the support of about 25% of the total membership and who waffled about unity in his victory speech it’s a bold move to continue the ruck

Labour & the Tories must be enjoying this, it appears the SNP's troubles have only just started.

As someone on the Sky News Press Review show pointed out this comment from Forbes about Humza is likely to appear on every election leaflet over the coming year(s).

During a segment where candidates cross-examined each another, Forbes said to Yousaf: “When you were transport minister the trains were never on time, when you were justice minister the police were strained to breaking point and now as health minister we’ve got record high waiting times.

“What makes you think you can do a better job as first minister?”

I'll put a fiver on the Lib Dems increasing their representation. Not on merit exactly, more on scoring 'none of the above'.

I get that this doesn’t really sit well with the “Forbes is a seething mess after being insulted by Humza” narrative but:

Of course the actual source will be ignored in favour of pisspoor Chinese whispers and blatantly made-up shite in the Unionist rags.

I’m all for deserved criticism of the SNP and much of it is more than merited but Forbes doesn’t exactly seem devastated by the prospect of a bit of time out.

I'll put a fiver on the Lib Dems increasing their representation. Not on merit exactly, more on scoring 'none of the above'.

As for this…the vainglorious Lib Dem ‘leader’ Cole-Hamilton has spent all week being ridiculed on social media after a pompous statement ‘ruling out entering into coalition’ with Humza’s government. A conversation he seemed to be having all by himself, which he’ll be used to.

Cole-Hamilton’s parallel universe ramblings have produced some genuine lolz on Scottish twitter:

Put it this way, Sidney Devine is more likely to croon his way through a sell-out Barrowlands concert via ouija board than the flatlining Lib Dems are to stage any kind of revival here. Beyond irrelevance.

Obviously it won't travel perfectly, but out here in leafy Englandshire, the only voters the Tories have left are the ex-kippers and other far right loons. Those who you'd describe as Major-Cameron-May Tories are long gone, and they've gone to Labour, they didn't even look at the LD's.

Other places with a strong LD history may well be different, but here, where it's traditionally been a Lab-Tory race, it's been a straight swap, with no wandering off to the side.

The Lib Dems barely exist outside of NE Fife, the posher bits of Edinburgh where Tories fear social disapproval of being openly Tory, Orkney & Shetland, and muscle memory votes from older folk in the Highlands.

The party doesn't have the membership, infrastructure or reach to break out of those areas and is not seen as any sort of credible alternative by any significant demographic. No one knows what their policies are on anything, which are pretty much "Tell Us What you want to hear and We'll say it", anyway.

They're still widely hated for 2010 by the sorts of groups they'd need to convince to vote for them now, no one beyond real obsessives has heard of any of their Holyrood politicians and UK leader Ed Davey is utterly unknown in Scotland.

Hard to see their monorail to electorial oblivion slowing down anytime soon.

Obviously it won't travel perfectly, but out here in leafy Englandshire, the only voters the Tories have left are the ex-kippers and other far right loons. Those who you'd describe as Major-Cameron-May Tories are long gone, and they've gone to Labour, they didn't even look at the LD's.

Other places with a strong LD history may well be different, but here, where it's traditionally been a Lab-Tory race, it's been a straight swap, with no wandering off to the side.

A little bit like Worthing, the LDs occasionally took control of the borough council for short periods (1/3 seats are contested every year, and on the 4th year it's the county council elections, oh the joy of being asked to vote every fucking year!), but they were basically totally wiped out as a result of the coalition years.

For the first time in history Labour took control of the borough council last year, and the Tories expect to lose even more seats to them this year.

Back
Top Bottom