Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

On Israel losing support.

At UN support for Israel by countries like US and UK hasn't diminished.

The UN general assembly voted to support the ICJ ruling that Israel occupation of West Bank is illegal. That Israel must pull out and pay reparations.

US voted against. UK abstained. According to Al Jazeera TV UK thought the proposal was one sided.

My point is Netanyahu and whoever follows him know that when it comes to the crunch Israel supporters will stick up for Israel despite what it does.

The ICJ has ruled on the occupation and my country has decided not to support the ruling.

I think Netanyahu and his even more right wing Zionists in his government are taking risks but when it comes to it Israel always gets support from where it matters.

some retired israeli general claimed that in usual anti terror ops it's normal to kill 5 civillians for every terrorist so according to the Israelis this was precise

Israel has signed up to this UN rights of children. It says this does not apply to Gaza.

“The outrageous death of children is almost historically unique. This is an extremely dark place in history,” Bragi Gudbrandsson, vice chairperson of the committee, told reporters on Thursday.
The 18-member UN committee monitors countries’ compliance with the 1989 Convention on the Rights of the Child, a widely adopted treaty that seeks to protect children from violence and other abuses.

Another violation of human rights to add to list of those Israel has broken.

Speaking of new violations, I see the most moral army in the world has been caught pushing / kicking multiple people (hopefully already dead) off of buildings:

They're as post-heroic as they come

It's very difficult to accord the moral high ground to either side when they're acting in kind.

"Aug 15 (Reuters) - Palestinian health authorities say Israel's ground and air campaign in Gaza has killed more than 40,000 people, mostly civilians, and driven most of the enclave's 2.3 million people from their homes."

VS

"Hamas militants killed more than 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and took 253 into captivity in Gaza".

No moral high ground at all.
Just a one sided massive death toll for those living in an apartheid state.
No matter what the politics are...this is not "acting in kind" . This is an occupying force stealing land, forcing Palestinians out of their homes and land, killing at an extraordinary rate, 15000 minors dead. 40000 Palestinians dead. 200000 injured badly...
So much for an eye for an eye. It's more like 20 eyes for an eye.

Not specifically referring to you.

You presumed to speak for people "here" more generally.

Had you said that you don't support Hezbollah or Hamas, I'd have no truck with that.

The statement as you made it though, I believe is nonsense.

You seem to think anyone criticising Israel is automatically pro Hamas.

Posters can criticise Israeli actions without actively supporting Hamas. Its not as black and white as you present.

There are posters here who support Hamas and Hezbollah.
I have not seen that?... Just people who see that Israel is committing genocide with an added side of land grabbing as they go. Forcing Palestinians out of their homes? Blowing up entire schools? Because "We think Hamas was in a classroom". I mean the Israelis are sophisticated enough to pinpoint individuals and take them out. Even pinpointing 2000 Pagers to blow up Hezbollah members. But they can just carpet bomb entire swathes of Gaza...because they can't be arsed to actually selectively kill their "enemy"? And Israel justifies that by implying the children were probably going to become Hamas if they grew up.

Seriously Spymaster..if you were a young person growing up in Gaza what would you want? Would you believe that Israel was doing its best to make peace with you?

I never understand why Irish republicans bang on about Flavius like it was some terrible crime when they could simply cite Bloody Sunday, which is far less defensible.
Not just Irish Republicans. Many many Irish people not connected with Republicanism at all still view the shoot to kill policy of the British army and SAS in relation to NI as wrong.
Because every time the British Army killed someone it caused a shitload of violence in the aftermath. Gibraltar was no exception with 3 more killed by Michael Stone at the funerals of the three volunteers. And 2 soldiers later beaten and shot dead after they drove into crowds at the funeral in some mad attempt to hurt people...

Getting back to Gibraltar...Because the 3 who were shot were unarmed and shot dead at close quarters..with their hands up.. The SAS would have had the time to arrest instead of shooting them dead.
SAS shot the IRA members without any prior attempt to arrest them.
Eye witness evidence directly contradicted the official version of events and backed up ongoing claims from republicans that British forces were operating a 'shoot-to-kill' policy.
Carmen Proetta, a Gibraltarian lady who witnessed the shootings first hand, said that the IRA personnel were unarmed and holding their hands up when they were shot.
She was subsequently targeted by some British newspapers in a smear campaign that made false allegations, such as a claim that she was a former prostitute.
The Sun newspaper carried the infamous headline 'The Tart of Gib'. She later successfully pursued media organisations in a number of libel actions.

Two days after the shooting, the Irish Government issued a statement saying it was "gravely perturbed that three unarmed Irish people were shot dead in Gibraltar when they could have been arrested by the security forces involved". 16 SAS officers surely could have arrested them but no. They shot them at very close range.

And later in 1995, the families of the three IRA members took a case to the European Court of Human Rights, which found that their human right to life had been infringed and the European Court of Human Rights, which decided that the operation had been in violation of the European Convention on Human Rights.
So there is that....

I am surprised that you are surprised...considering you have stated that you have studied so much of this ...its not exactly rocket science.

British soldiers had a shoot to kill policy when it came to NI and anyone they believed was republican paramilitary.
Most Irish people believed the British army and PSNI were corrrupt and that they would never receive fair treatment. That belief didnt appear out of nothing. It was arrived at after years of intimidation and blatant unfair treatment.

That's because you are choosing to base your (inaccurate) review on an agenda. I predicted pretty much exactly what the Israeli response would be.
a dog with a mallet up its arse could predict what Israel would do.

Back
Top Bottom