Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

This on instagram today.

And a screengrab for those who don't use instagram..
Screenshot_20231115_195634_Instagram.jpg

Obviously that should read "war" not "was"

And Trudeau today calling on Israel for restraint

I don't see Netanyahu stopping any time soon.

Some appalling videos today were posted online. A building full of disabled Palestinians was burned and they were burned alive. Footage showed Palestinians carrying out the charred remains of these poor people.

It would appear that Canada has had enough of giving Israel carte blanche wrt the onslaught in Palestine.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has called for Israel to stop “killing babies,” earning a furious response from Israeli counterpart Benjamin Netanyahu.

Trudeau said on Tuesday that the “killing of women, of children, of babies” in the besieged Gaza Strip must end. Netanyahu pushed back, insisting that Hamas is responsible for civilian deaths as Israeli forces continue to batter the enclave.

“I urge the government of Israel to exercise maximum restraint,” Trudeau said in his sharpest criticism of Israel since the war on Gaza broke out more than five weeks ago. “The world is watching, on TV, on social media – we’re hearing the testimonies of doctors, family members, survivors, kids who have lost their parents.

“The world is witnessing this killing of women, of children, of babies. This has to stop,” he told a news conference in the western province of British Columbia.

In a post on X directed at Trudeau, early on Wednesday, Netanyahu said: “It is not Israel that is deliberately targeting civilians but Hamas that beheaded, burned and massacred civilians in the worst horrors perpetrated on Jews since the Holocaust.”

“The forces of civilization must back Israel in defeating Hamas barbarism,” Netanyahu continued.

Canada has maintained that Israel has the right to defend itself against Hamas after the Palestinian group attacked southern Israel on October 7, killing 1,200 people.

But it has also expressed increasing concern over the mounting death toll in the battered and besieged enclave, where more than 11,200 Palestinians have been killed by Israel since the conflict started.
AD

“The price of justice cannot be the continued suffering of all Palestinian civilians,” Trudeau said on Tuesday. “All wars have rules. All innocent life has equal worth. Israeli and Palestinian.”

I wonder if Canada supplies Israel with arms at all? It's all very well using vaguely harsh words and calling for a ceasefire, but what action are you going to take?

There is a phrase "human shield" that appears to be banned on this thread so much that after more than 7,000 posts no one has ever mentioned it. Its a big part of the debate. I just wondered what people's take was on it. Its surprising that it is not being discussed at all. Is the phrase just pure Israeli propoganda or is it some part of Hamas' military strategy.
The phrase "human shield" here is a bit Israeli propaganda-ish.

The first thing to consider is that Gaza is a similar size and population density to east London. With that many people crammed into such a small area there's not enough space to spread things out. In my town the Territoral Army barracks is squashed between a children's playground and residential housing - does that mean the British army is using human shields?

Then there's the IDF's tendency over the past couple of decades to drop big bombs on anything Hamas related. If Hamas placed themselves neatly away from anything civilian related they'd all have been killed long ago.

To avoid being blown apart Hamas have dug those 400km of tunnels under Gaza to hide in. Will some of those tunnels go under or near civilian stuff? Undoubtedly.

The question is whether Hamas have deliberately put command centres under or near particularly sensitive locations like schools and hospitals? The IDF have been saying they have for decades, every time they blow up a school or hospital. Hamas have always denied it. Doctors, teachers and UN workers have always denied it. I find it far fetched that Hamas have been hiding weapon stashes under operating tables in hospitals and holding hostages in school halls, with the connivance of doctors, teachers and the UN.

I am open to the idea that there may be important points and entrances in their tunnel network under or near particularly sensitive locations. Hamas have shown themselves willing to invite thousands of Palestinian deaths by their actions on more than one occasion. This is why I was so quick to watch the IDF video released a couple of days ago which was claimed to be actual evidence of an actual Hamas command centre in the basement of the children's hospital. And it was complete bollocks. The spoof video posted this morning was almost as believable. Dan Hagari was claiming a toilet was terrorist infrastructure ffs.

Then today hundreds of troops have been crawling all over a major hospital - supposedly carefully targeted and acting on specific intelligence - which they claimed contains the beating heart of Hamas. And what did they find? Assuming they didn't plant anything (which the IDF do have form for): ten guns, a few grenades, a couple of flak jackets and... is that a couple of cans of WD40? I've got a can of WD40 in my cupboard - am I harbouring terrorist infrastructure? They're in the middle of a warzone. Of course there's guns about. Hardly the beating heart of Hamas.

I'm still not closed to the idea the IDF might find some command centre under a hospital or something, but so far they've completed failed to back up their claims. Is it possible that the IDF have come to believe their own propaganda? That they spun this story to excuse bombing hospitals because they just don't give a fuck about Palestinian lives and have repeated it so often that they now think it's true? That they genuinely believe in their heads that a baby bottle in a children's hospital is proof that hostages have been held there? That the presence of a chair is somehow nefarious? Or is it all just mindgames to distract the world while they drive the Gazans off their land?

No-one has banned the phrase "human shield", but using it does come from framing the situation in a specific way. And there’s not many people on the thread who are signed up to that way of thinking.

I wonder if Canada supplies Israel with arms at all? It's all very well using vaguely harsh words and calling for a ceasefire, but what action are you going to take?

Does Canada provide arms to Israel?

Marie-France Lalonde, the parliamentary secretary to the minister of defence said during question period on Wednesday, in response to a question from NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh, that Canada is “not providing military assistance” to Israel as it continues its offensive in Gaza.
- google search

What exactly do you want Canada to do? Should they start bombing Israel?????

At least Canada is standing up against Israel's actions.
Has your country have the balls to stand up and say, "enough is enough"?

How various MPs voted re a ceasefire is now on the Parliament website.

https://votes.parliament.uk/votes/commons/division/1666
It makes me weep to see so many MPs voting against a ceasefire.
Yet many, if not most, of them will laud Nelson Mandela and Martin Luther King, attend Holocaust Memorial Day, praise the suffragettes, and condemn the slavery in the Caribbean and North America. It’s easy to praise the dead, commemorate the victims of the crimes against humanity of yesteryear. It should not be difficult to condemn the crimes against humanity of today, but so wedded are some to an imperialist world view that they cannot.

(They would not realise that they are wedded to an imperialist word view, to them the reality of their political position presents itself in some more flattering light. Surely, though, there can be no excuse for supporting the continued slaughter of the inhabitants of the Gaza Strip?)

Those MPs who voted against a ceasefire have do not seem to have learned the lesson that Shakespeare taught 400 years ago. If you prick a Palestinian, does he not bleed?

Does Canada provide arms to Israel?

Marie-France Lalonde, the parliamentary secretary to the minister of defence said during question period on Wednesday, in response to a question from NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh, that Canada is “not providing military assistance” to Israel as it continues its offensive in Gaza.
- google search

What exactly do you want Canada to do? Should they start bombing Israel?????

At least Canada is standing up against Israel's actions.
Has your country have the balls to stand up and say, "enough is enough"?
The state of Canada could institute a travel and trade boycott of the State of Israel, and break off diplomatic relations.

There is a phrase "human shield" that appears to be banned on this thread so much that after more than 7,000 posts no one has ever mentioned it. Its a big part of the debate. I just wondered what people's take was on it. Its surprising that it is not being discussed at all. Is the phrase just pure Israeli propoganda or is it some part of Hamas' military strategy.
Israel is basically saying "if Hamas doesn't come out into the open (so that we can easily kill them alone and nobody else) we will kill the population at random in the hope that we eventually kill enough Hamas".

When you put it that way, it doesn't really sound plausible or realistic. Just a cliché never to be questioned.

It makes me weep to see so many MPs voting against a ceasefire.
Yet many, if not most, of them will laud Nelson Mandela and Martin Luther King, attend Holocaust Memorial Day, praise the suffragettes, and condemn the slavery in the Caribbean and North America. It’s easy to praise the dead, commemorate the victims of the crimes against humanity of yesteryear. It should not be difficult to condemn the crimes against humanity of today, but so wedded are some to an imperialist world view that they cannot.

(They would not realise that they are wedded to an imperialist word view, to them the reality of their political position presents itself in some more flattering light. Surely, though, there can be no excuse for supporting the continued slaughter of the inhabitants of the Gaza Strip?)

Those MPs who voted against a ceasefire have do not seem to have learned the lesson that Shakespeare taught 400 years ago. If you prick a Palestinian, does he not bleed?

Good post. It makes me weep too.

My MP Helen Hayes abstained - though she was shown on TV speaking. No idea what she said.
My MP abstained too, after saying they cared and blah blah. 😡 No Labour MP voted against a ceasefire, the majority just did as they were told and didn't vote.

Reactions: CH1
My MP Helen Hayes abstained - though she was shown on TV speaking. No idea what she said.
She was one of the three down to resign before the vote. The other two did, so her failure to does seem rather sad and egotistical. My MP voted against the amendment despite her constituency party and electorate being massively in favour of it. Another useless puddle of piss only interested in her own parliamentary position.

Back
Top Bottom