Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

hmm, I'm trying to remember the Spart position...you're Quebecois rather than First Nationalists iirr

hmm - would not work if you are one of the First Nations from British Columbia.....

I think that they were referring to Quebec being a founding nation.

Last edited:

Biden now telling Israel that occupation of Gaza would not be a good idea

Cant see Netanyahu listening to Biden.

Reactions: Ax^
I have attended the few small protests in Tel Aviv in recent weeks calling for a ceasefire. We leftist activists are a tiny minority in our society, and we are currently having to choose our words carefully. We are scared for our own safety amid the crackdown on dissent within Israel since Hamas’ October 7 massacres, which is forcing us to tone down the visibility of our rage. If we are completely silenced, who will be left to protest for an end to the war and the release of the hostages? During the speeches by the hostages’ families, many have stated in no uncertain terms that their calls are being shunted aside to allow the Israeli army to continue its aggression in Gaza. If our government is not even listening to them, who will listen to us?

They've discovered the square root of fuck all. What they have displayed so far they could easily have planted themselves. No command centre, no tunnels after more than a day of looking.

more than 24 hours after Israel’s raid started, the Israeli army has not shown evidence of either Hamas-run tunnels or a military command centre under the hospital.

What has Israel ‘found’ in Gaza’s al-Shifa Hospital?

Hamas are sneaky, mind. They're supervillains. They've disguised their command centre as a working hospital, with the commanders posing as doctors and the troops posing as patients. Don't Be Fooled. That child isn't really a child, and that man in a wheelchair is just hiding his missing leg.

My MP Helen Hayes abstained - though she was shown on TV speaking. No idea what she said.

Here is what she posted on twitter

I'm confused.

She is in shadow cabinet. I had heard she was going to resign to vote for amendment.

She seems to have said she supports ceasefire but in end didn't vote for amendment.

In her speech she went on about the large numbers of constituents who contacted her wanting her to support ceasefire.

She also said in her speech that the support of ceasefire was a majority view in public, aid agencies and religious leaders.

So what was her problem in voting for it?

Heard she abstained

This was a whipped vote. Thanks Starmer

I'm confused.

She is in shadow cabinet. I had heard she was going to resign to vote for amendment.

She seems to have said she supports ceasefire but in end didn't vote for amendment.

In her speech she went on about the large numbers of constituents who contacted her wanting her to support ceasefire.

She also said in her speech that the support of ceasefire was a majority view in public, aid agencies and religious leaders.

Heard she abstained

cut and paste from twitter, re: current conditions inside al-shifa hospital

Catastrophe unfolding now at al-Shifa hospital:

I summarize comments of hospital director Dr. Muhammad Abu Salmiya, speaking to Al Jazeera Arabic about 30 minutes ago:There are about 7,000 people under total siege inside al-Shifa compound, including 650 injured people, 45 dialysis patients and 36 premature babies.A few hours ago one dialysis patient died and 4 are at imminent risk of death because no power for dialysis machines.

Three premature babies died in recent days. Two injured persons died in recent hours due to lack of treatment.There is no water, fuel or electricity. Israel broke the main water line into the hospital. There is no purified water to make the special formula for the babies, so they are using ordinary water and some have become sick with diarrhea, infections, fever.There is no food. Children are starving and distressed. There is no medicine and the wounds of injured people are becoming horribly infected, some with maggots.

Hospital administrators tried to send a delegation to the occupation forces to ask for food, fuel, medicine and safe evacuation of the sick and injured but the Israelis refused to to talk to them.The hospital is besieged from all sides by tanks and bulldozers. The bulldozers are destroying areas around the compound, but no one can see clearly what they are doing. Anyone who tries to move between hospital buildings is shot at by snipers or drones. There are hundreds of soldiers in the hospital compound searching all over and causing severe damage to hospital premises and equipment.

In the 48 hours the occupation forces have been inside the hospital or on its grounds not a single shot has been fired at them. No one can leave the hospital or enter it. The situation is disastrous not just for people in Shifa but for anyone in Gaza City who is injured or becomes ill, because no one can reach the hospital and the hospital can't do anything for them anyway. Anyone who has a heart attack or a stroke at home will die.Dr. Abu Salmiya says "We hold the world responsible" for what he calls a genocide. "We are waiting for slow death."

Last edited3:46 PM · Nov 16, 2023
·
Views

As I read that, I found myself reciting the Hail Mary. . .

Anyone know the wording of the snp amendment
It was very simple, I believe:

The Scottish National Party’s (SNP) amendment to the King’s Speech sought to call on the government to “join with the international community in urgently pressing all parties to agree to an immediate ceasefire.”

Who the fuck votes against, or abstains from voting for, that?

Complete scumbags who claim as their excuse that the SNP were playing party politics with this amendment.

Wow. You can't ask for a ceasefire until you have a deal where the hostages are released? So they basically think Israel's collective punishment of Palestinians is justified by the fact that Hamas are holding hostages. That's the only logical conclusion to draw from that statement.

Wankers.

I'm confused.

Heard she abstained

Baroness Chakrabti was asked about this on the Daily Politics today.
Well not about Helen Hayes - but about Labour MPs voting for or not voting for a ceasefire.
She said "It's just tactics" - saying that the SNP introduced the motion to expose splits in the Labour Party.
I'm sure that is right - but are we playing some sort of Glass Bead Game here - or protecting human lives?

It was very simple, I believe:

Who the fuck votes against, or abstains from voting for, that?

These ridiculous semantics have thoroughly put me off supporting Labour in a way I've not felt since the Iraq war. I desperately want the Tories out, but how can I put my cross in the box and support Starmer? I'd previously not understood folks that don't vote, but fucking hell, what a pitiful shower we have to choose from.

a conditional ceasefire like this seems highly partisan. I don't know whether Hamas would exploit or abuse a ceasefire, but given the vengefeul nature of the IDF and bourgesioise opinion, it would do them no favours.

Hamas would likely see that demand as them conceding any leverage they have, although at this point the hostages (if any have survived the bombing), will be the only living things in Gaza

Back
Top Bottom