Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

The BBC report on the demo

Palestine Action are taking responsibility, according to this report, for daubing BBC building with red paint -for their biased reporting. Slightly unfair as BBC have had stick from the right for not saying Hamas are terrorist.

However this particular article on BBC website annoys me.

Gives report of the demo. Then at end adds bit about rise in anti semitic incidents recorded by the Met.

This is a different issue.

Putting it in same report on a largely peaceful demo at which no anti semitic incident took place is imo implying public demonstrations of support for Palestinians as a people and opposition to bombing of Gaza is somehow contributing to an atmosphere where anti semitic incidents increase. This is the kind of thing that winds me up.
Absolutely. I kept an eye out for anti-Semitism today. Aside from one banner mentioning a cabal held by an old white bloke on his own, I didn't see any.

Have just read that article. Mentions how many coppers, how many arrested. Not even a guess at the number of people on the march. Wankers.

Last edited:
I'd feel weird about donating to a charity that mentions any specific religion in their title. :hmm: I'm sure they are okay, but it just doesn't sit that well with me...
I hear that (I’m an atheist) but it does depend on the charity. I know IR very having worked with them. Their faith is the driver to help those in need, and they help where they can irrespective of the faith (or lack of) of those in need…

Boak

Senior Labour figures believe the Conservatives are deliberately trying to paint them as less supportive of Israel, and to suggest that some on the left of the party are somehow sympathetic to Hamas and antisemitic, because they are pro-Palestinian.

“They are definitely trying to play politics with us,” said one senior figure, who suggested the Tories wanted to reopen divisions within Labour over support for Israel and issues around antisemitism.

I suspect that's exactly what the Tories are doing, and it's fucking disgusting to be playing politics with the current situation.

FFS, even the US has said Israel needs to act in line with international law.

I think it'll back-fire on them, as everyone I've spoken to/been in contact with, including Tory voters, whilst condemning Hamas for their horrific attack last weekend, are also at the very least expressing very real concern about Israel's retaliation, it's just another example of the Tories being totally out of touch.

I suspect that's exactly what the Tories are doing, and it's fucking disgusting to be playing politics with the current situation.

FFS, even the US has said Israel needs to act in line with international law.

I think it'll back-fire on them, as everyone I've spoken to/been in contact with, including Tory voters, whilst condemning Hamas for their horrific attack last weekend, are also at the very least expressing very real concern about Israel's retaliation, it's just another example of the Tories being totally out of touch.
Yeh well labour banning their elected members from doing stuff will go down like a pile of sick. Playing politics is of course what politicians are employed to do, like footballers are employed to play football

For all that it matters, I've changed my FB pic to Not In My Name! (Bit more explicit now about my stance around family, friends and people I barely know...)

Just had a browse through the Al Jazeera and Guardian new feeds. The European commission have now announced they will triple humanitarian aid to Gaza a massive improvement on what was being said earlier in the week.

Another US Aircraft carrier is being sent. The Eisenhower and its strike group.

Blinken and MBS have had a cosy chat.

Meanwhile Israel has repeated the evacuation order and airstrikes continue. The morgues are struggling to cope so ice cream vans are being used to store dead bodies.

Yeh well labour banning their elected members from doing stuff will go down like a pile of sick. Playing politics is of course what politicians are employed to do, like footballers are employed to play football
Yes got a very good friend ( labour party member)who admitted he's sympathetic to the Palestinians but is unable to get directly involved in any support because he could risk disciplinary within .

I wonder whether Israel could strike a neighbouring country under protection of US and UK ships.

Beyond some trouble in the Lebanon border area, I doubt it, they're busy enough, and the last thing the UK & US wants is to see is it escalate further, which is why they've sent ships as a deterrent to other actors in the area.

Former Hamas member exposes Hamas.

Hamas was not democratically selected .

Sadly some on the left ( SWP ) still see Hamas and Palestinians as the same people.

Not all Palestinians support Hamas not all Israelis support zionism.

Attachments

• 4_5864992672657179739.mp4
    9.1 MB
Egypt's already ruled out this "flee to Egypt" idea - correctly recognizing that those who flee will never be allowed back.

That may be true, but Egypt doesn't want Hamas (whose soldiers hide among civilians and will definitely cross at Rafah along with everyone else) operating from Egypt. Israel doesn't want them, why would Egypt? 1. Hamas is an extremist group that might end up destabilising Egypt and 2. It could give Israel an excuse to start on Egypt later.

Sadly some on the left ( SWP ) still see Hamas and Palestinians as the same people.

That is not what he is saying at all. His words are directed at the Palestinian authority.

You may have a additional information but he does not claim to be ex-Hamas in video merely he grew up a Hamas member in Ramallah. He also says Palestinian authority not Hamas. The relationship between the two is bumpy to say the least

Hamas were elected. Whatever mandate that gave them in Gaza has long since expired and they have used violence to maintain and increase their power in Gaza but to say they weren't is nonsense.

ETA late to the party!

Er Hamas is the self appointed Palestinian authority.

No, you are confusing two different organisations.

The two territories have grown into markedly different entities, Fatah's PA enjoying international recognition and backing, while Gaza under Hamas, designated terrorists by the West, has grown increasingly isolated. Egypt has helped Israel enforce a land, sea and air blockade on Gaza for the past 17 years.

Back
Top Bottom