Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

Hard to imagine a worse move for Israel's long-term security than traumatizing the 50% of the population that's under 14 this deeply

maybe fault his actions whilst in office that stoked the fires that lead to this situation

saying that he did get to hold a glowing orb like it was palantir
and let his step son make a few bob from the saudis

Very good edtion of the Novara media show tonight. They had someone from the Isreali peace movement - Uri Weltmann of Standing Together.

There organisation is trying to work with both Palestinian and Jewish Israelis. Its about ordinary people rather than politicians. Working to oppose the right wing elements in Israeli society. Long term to work towards a just peace with a two state solution. Looks like lot of effort made to encourage both Palestinians and Jewish Israelis to work together.

He said on the present conflict that other countries politicians giving blanket support to this right wing Israeli government is not helping make the country more secure for ordinary Israelis. He thought the correct line to take was to condemn Hamas and condemn the actions of the Netanyahu government. Who have with their policies exacerbated tensions and now with the bombing of Gaza killing civilian Palestinians.

Particularly interesting in this opinion as an Israeli that the we stand by Israel uncritically line is not seen by him as helping make ordinary Israelis more secure now or in future.

Perhaps our politicians should listen to more Isreali voices than just Netanyahu.

Uri also talked about growing dislike of this government by ordinary Isrealis. Government politicians trying to attned funerals of those murdered by Hamas have been heckled. Many Isrealis want Ministers to resign.

Kind of think that perhaps Starmer and other politicians are making a mistake. And are mis reading Israeli public opinion long term.

Perhaps longer term it is not a mistake to condemn both Hamas and Netanyahu government actions And call for genuine move to resolving the conflict.

Also later in the programme pointed out that Starmers line on the bombing of Gaza is going to turn off Muslim voters off Labour. He might feel he has to do this to remove the stain of anti semitism from the party but he is making a mistake.

Well worth watching this episode.

Last edited:
As I see it you've got Israel holding hostages in response to Hamas taking hostages. But does Hamas, it's militaristic elements, give a fuck? Like, given what they are capable of, what are their aims now? Martyrdom?

What happens over the next few days will have great repercussions for decades. Israel has its enemies. The risk is a bad situation becoming worse for Israelis and Palestinians. I would hope Israel's Arab neighbours would assist, return the hostages, ceasefire. I realise that is probably laughably naive, but I think it's possible Hamas can be gotten at there with the American backing.

Saw this poll in the Jerusalem Post mentioned on CNN earlier, thought the conclusions are very stark:

... and that is just from Jewish Israelis, if the sample had been from the whole population it would have been even worse.

I don't see this as significant or surprising. There has been a catastrophic intelligence/security failure but anyone replacing Netanyahu will be just as bad politically.

This is also  insane from the perspective of Israeli security and the safety of Jewish people around the world. The Israeli government aren't acting rationally at all. Throwing a tantrum at the UN for saying demanding 1.1 million people move within 24 hrs is impossible.

If Iran and Turkey row in...maybe this is it

It is very hard to see how this won't escalate beyond current areas involved. I think they'd be some toleration from the odd missile from the north, but anything more than that (such as Iran getting seriously involved) is likely to result in a US/others response. Also only takes one lone fast boat or other attack on the of US/UK warships in the area to catapult it all into another dimension.

make an impossible to complete order then blame the civilian population for the carnage that follows

very chilling.. plus if they leave it will become a security buffer zone :(
Altho gaza a small place forcing hundreds of thousands of people short on food and water to move when it's hot (26⁰ or so) is imo going to lead to many deaths before enemy action is considered in part as they're not going to find shelter and the weather forecast not brilliant - on its own that's imo tantamount to condemning many elderly, unwell and young Palestinians to death

Back
Top Bottom