Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

Just to go back to the subject of helping, I'm sure this charity is good too.

i have signalled for some years that great power competition isn't something from yesteryear. and frankly thus far events are confirming that the united states and china are getting on increasingly poorly, that there are fears of war, and that it could embroil us here in the uk too - not simply in being affected by its repercussions but also an active party to such a conflict, through the submarine alliance with australia, through the daft idea to send naval forces east of suez again (east of dover is bad enough) and because we've fuckwits in government who can't see a scrap without wanting a piece of the action.

if we get through to the 2027 chinese communist party congress and the reaffirmation of xi jinping as paramount leader, chosen of heaven, without the shit hitting the fan no one will be happier than i.

Remind me how the conflict in Ireland ended despite the killing sprees on all sides.
Israel has the same population as greater London
If the provos killed several thousand people at galstonbury nobody would be in the mood for a peace treaty or negociations the UK population would be calling for blood. The provos weren't stupid they knew the limits of what they could do without bringing the hammer down.

If the provos killed several thousand people at galstonbury nobody would be in the mood for a peace treaty or negociations the UK population would be calling for blood. The provos weren't stupid they knew the limits of what they could do without bringing the hammer down.
Less of the over excited hypothetical fantasy alternative and more on how three sides all involved in killing sprees brought the conflict to an end, please

Just to go back to the subject of helping, I'm sure this charity is good too.

One of a very few that I will support monthly. That said, if the Israeli state continue with their genocidal war crime of denying the Palestinian people in Gaza their physiological needs, not amount of charitable giving will make one jot of difference.

Strangely we're not talking about the ira, which since the border campaign has never faced British conscripts, but the zionist entity where almost everyone over the age of 18 is liable for military service and subsequent presence on the strength of the reserve

Strangely we're not talking about the ira, which since the border campaign has never faced British conscripts, but the zionist entity where almost everyone over the age of 18 is liable for military service and subsequent presence on the strength of the reserve
Almost everyone but the orthodox: who also get a free meal ticket, to the chagrin of many secular Israelis

Can I just say I'm fucking sick of those who say "but the Palestinians haven't lived under occupation for the last two decades"? I guess it depends on what your definition of occupation is. Maybe there's some technical definition of occupation that allows people to say they haven't, but to all intents and purposes they absolutely have. It is extremely dishonest/disingenuous.

I heard this yesterday watching news on Gaza. The blockade is equivalent to military occupation. As Israel , as seen, control what comes in and out.

The International Committee of the Red Cross considers the blockade illegal and says it violates the Geneva Convention, a charge Israeli officials deny. The U.N., various human rights groups and legal scholars, citing the blockade, consider Gaza to still be under military occupation by Israel.

Saw this poll in the Jerusalem Post mentioned on CNN earlier, thought the conclusions are very stark:

Poll: Majority blames gov’t for Hamas massacre, says Netanyahu must resign

An overwhelming majority of 86% of respondents, including 79% of coalition supporters, said the surprise attack from Gaza is a failure of the country's leadership.

Four out of five Jewish Israelis believe the government and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu are to blame for the mass infiltration of Hamas terrorists into Israel and the massacre that followed, a new Dialog Center poll released on Thursday found.

An overwhelming majority – 86% of respondents, including 79% of coalition supporters, said the surprise attack from Gaza is a failure of the country’s leadership, while a staggering 92% said the war is causing anxiety.

Furthermore, almost all the respondents (94%) believe the government must bear some responsibility for the lack of security preparedness that led to the assault, with over 75% saying the government holds most of the responsibility.

Netanyahu must resign after war's conclusion, Israelis say

The survey, which polled 620 Israeli Jews from across the country, also found that a majority of respondents believed Netanyahu should resign following the conclusion of Operation Swords of Iron.

A slim majority of 56% said Netanyahu must resign at the end of the war, with 28% of coalition voters agreeing with this view, and 52% of respondents also expect Defense Minister Yoav Gallant to resign.

In addition, most respondents said they do not trust the government to lead the war on Gaza, though the poll was conducted before former defense minister Benny Gantz joined an emergency unity government on Wednesday evening.

... and that is just from Jewish Israelis, if the sample had been from the whole population it would have been even worse.

Maybe we'll get to the point where cunts like Biden, Sunak and Starmer are left extremely embarrassed for seemingly giving Israel the signal they can now do whatever the fuck they like in revenge. (But it won't be a point of celebration.)
The very best we can hope for is extremely forgetful. Which Biden will pull off best.

I heard this yesterday watching news on Gaza. The blockade is equivalent to military occupation. As Israel , as seen, control what comes in and out.

There's a particular US podcaster (no, not Joe Rogan) who I actually quite like and I consider mostly thoughtful and interesting to listen to (though he is known for a dislike of organised religion, which mainly comes across as a dislike of Islam, and I don't think he is liked by many on here). I started listening to a piece he did on Israel today, curious as to what he might say (though, to be fair, expecting the worst). As soon as he trotted out the bit about Palestine not being under occupation, I had to switch off. Mind you, Rachel Reeves also came out with the same the other day... So it's not just vaguely controversial US podcasters, but a lot of people who should know better.

UK government flying repatriation flights out of Israel now. Don't think they did this in previous wars
It's the norm. It happened in Sudan after the coup, although a lot if people were unable to get to the airports where the flights were going from.

Back
Top Bottom