Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

It seemed odd that Israel's intelligence agencies didn't seem to know about Hamas preparations for their assault on Israel on 7th October.

But the Hamas assault has rather conveniently allowed Netanyahu to play the war leader again and to invade Gaza and attempt to completely destroy Hamas or even to go further.

Is it possible Israel's intelligence did know about Hamas preparations but underestimated its force, and that people like Netanyahu kept schtum because he wanted the excuse to invade?

I don't know the workings of Israel government agencies, would it even be possible to keep a secret like that?

I sorta remember they were warned about the attack two weeks prior, but dismissed it as "fake news".
I'm sick and can't be bothered to verify this.

It seemed odd that Israel's intelligence agencies didn't seem to know about Hamas preparations for their assault on Israel on 7th October.

But the Hamas assault has rather conveniently allowed Netanyahu to play the war leader again and to invade Gaza and attempt to completely destroy Hamas or even to go further.

Is it possible Israel's intelligence did know about Hamas preparations but underestimated its force, and that people like Netanyahu kept schtum because he wanted the excuse to invade?

I don't know the workings of Israel government agencies, would it even be possible to keep a secret like that?
Apparently Israel have better intelligence forces than the US and the UK so I find it strange as well that they didn't do any due diligence on the intel. With their intel, that would have been the better way to go after Hamas rather than bomb and kill innocent people in Gaza.

JJ

Apparently Israel have better intelligence forces than the US and the UK so I find it strange as well that they didn't do any due diligence on the intel. With their intel, that would have been the better way to go after Hamas rather than bomb and kill innocent people in Gaza.

JJ
Israel would have everyone believe that their intelligence forces are super-dooper. Any intelligence force would seek to have everyone believe that, though. I'd suggest that they have a proven record as one of the most ruthless intelligence forces in the world. Not the same as being shit hot at the intel, though. They've been known to murder the wrong people in the past by mistake.

Last edited:
( what he is doing here is opposing a One State solution. Using term destroy to conflate it with anti semitic desire to destroy the Israeli Jews. Which it is not. A One State solution would not be Zionist. It would be were Israeli Jews and Palestinians could live together as equals)

One state. No one gets to overrun or conquer the other. No need for a bunch of rules of law, with a thourough disarmament and immediate sharing and caring for the least and poorest, where no man has ought for his own possessions or private property, with respect to reforms and preservations - every man has a right of passage without taking one thing too much.

Now it looks like these guys think they are galloping upon a white horse with their sword, and are conquering by force. I for one would put the military might in the hands of the palestinians just to see what they would do to these brutes, who have taken the good names of zion, jews, and israel in vain.

interesting perspective from martin wright floating the possible further mobilisation by the english far right feeding off wider islamophobia

not impossible i guess

Last edited:
come in david mitchell

615d62ea7e3027dcef22bdd1-punisher1920-p-1600-1636311894.jpeg

I've read about hundred pages of history of IDF by an Israeli.

Given the bombing of Gaza was curious.

So far what comes across is that Ben Gurion saw IDF has way to build a nation.

He said something like Israel is a state the thing is to build a nation.

Israel was built by armed struggle.

Building Israel , if I read this right, was also building a new kind of how to be a Jew

For example making Hebrew the language of the new state. Yiddish and various European languages were the common language of early immigrants.

Hebrew unlike Yiddish was a dead language.

Making it the language of the new state was drawing a difference between European Jewish culture and the new Jewish citizen of the new state

I remember Ilan Pappe saying. ( And he's hardly a fan of his country) that you've got to give it to the Zionists they created and built a whole new state and society.

It might be worth considering that Israel is not a continuation of European Jewish culture ( Yiddish in Eastern Europe destroyed by Nazis) but a new cultural formation.

I'm not saying this as a criticism. Pappe for example says this was an achievement. Even though he became , as an Israeli Jew , disillusioned with it

The IDF play a major role in every Israel life. Starts early at school . IDF ex senior officers go on to politics / business etc.

In fact some of the more recent issues about corruption is ex army officers setting up business and regarding themselves as above the law

As IDF has such high status. Any political party wants to have quota of ex senior IDF people in it.

IDF even had role in cultural production. Still runs popular radio station.
I often listen to old world service cultural and arts programmes on bbc sounds. Anyway in an episode from 1991 I was playing earlier on some form of traditional Yiddish music (fiddler on the roof style, I forget the name), there was someone who had a Zionist upbringing saying the bit in bold that traditional Yiddish culture had been supplanted by Zionist culture and that they had enjoyed the revival of this part of Yiddish / Jewish culture.

Bit of a digression, sorry :)

Had a look and more from Paul Mason...

...Blames rise of Hamas on Gaza being dependent on welfare handouts...

I'm deeply suspicious of anyone who uses the term "welfare handouts" in any context, but for Mason to use it about the situation in Gaza is almost beyond belief.

Is he still seeking to become a Labour MP? Using that sort of language should endear him to the leadership, if nothing else.

Back
Top Bottom