Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

They are trying to outdo each other...this one compares Palestinians to Nazis
Confirmation that we don't have 'proper grown-up people' with an ability to grasp nuance, ruling over us anymore. The Covid enquiry confirms this-a bunch of student politicians grown older but no different than they were at the time. A failure to achieve maturity.

We have people with no better a grasp of reality than anybody on these boards dictating how it's going to be, with no way of changing the situation. It means that we are all in for a rough ride.

Lead story in the ft today

Screenshot_2023-11-12-07-46-38-459_com.opera.browser-edit.jpg

No Hamas and no Palestinian Authority... I wonder who that leaves, real head scratcher

Question is does anyone in US government really oppose the extension of Israeli occupation... History suggests of course not

Last edited:
No adequate words again:

:( :mad: :(

But, the Israeli president was on 'Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg' saying they haven't bombed the Al Shifa Hospital, they have electric, and everything is working just fine, and dismissed reports otherwise as being Hamas propaganda.

Now, who to believe? :hmm:

Middle East Eye reported this morning on the dire medical situation in Gaza.

A number of cancer patients in Gaza have died due to a lack of the necessary medical supplies to treat them, according to a report from Al Jazeera Arabic.

The healthcare system in Gaza is in collapse, and Israel's military is currently circling several hospitals in northern Gaza. Al-Shifa hospital, the largest medical complex in the enclave, is currently under Israeli siege.

MEE also linked to a tweet from Palestine Red Crescent, who report:

@PalestineRCS announces Al-Quds Hospital out of service and no longer operational.

🚨
✋
The cessation of services is due to the depletion of available fuel and power outage.

🛑
PRCS holds the international community and signatories of the
Fourth Geneva Convention accountable for the complete breakdown of
the health system and the resulting dire humanitarian conditions.

9:51 AM · Nov 12, 2023

alt text spoilered below

[Any mistakes in the text are mine - Dysto]

The Palestine Red Crescent announces Al-Quds Hospital out of service

On November 12, 2023, the Palestine Red Crescent Society announced Al-Quds Hospital an out of service facility, and no longer operational. This cessation of services is due to the depletion of available fuel and power outage. Medical staff are making every effort to provide care to patients and the wounded, even resorting to conventional medical methods amid dire humanitarian conditions and a shortage of medical supplies, food and water.

PRCS deeply regrets reaching this critical point despite efforts to prevent it. Repeated appeals for urgent international assistance, given the week-long siege and a five-day communication and internet blackout, have been unsuccessful. The hospital has been left to fend for itself under ongoing Israeli bombardment, posing severe risks to the medical staff, patients, and displaced civilians.

The humanitarian crisis in Gaza and the northern region has worsened dramatically, with the escalation of Israeli military attacks. This includes the targeted sieging and deprivation of aid to hospitals, leading to their closure. The occupation forces have intensified their presence, separating the northern from the southern occupied Strip and preventing ambulances from reaching affected areas. This has resulted in numerous unclaimed bodies and limited medical response capabilities, with only one operational hospital in Gaza and two in the north.

The Palestine Red Crescent Society holds the international community and signatories of the Fourth Geneva Convention accountable for the complete breakdown of the health system and the resulting dire humanitarian conditions. PCRS urges international health and relief organizations to urgently provide necessary aid to the Gaza and northern regions, to maintain health care services and support the remaining hospitals and emergency services.

link to tweet from PRCS

Middle East Eye live reports (Can't link to individual updates from their live feed.)

But, the Israeli president was on 'Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg' saying they haven't bombed the Al Shifa Hospital, they have electric, and everything is working just fine, and dismissed reports otherwise as being Hamas propaganda.

Now, who to believe? :hmm:

This weekend the Israeli government seems to have dropped the pretense that they won't be taking over Gaza, as well as expelling a lot of the population. I would have thought - hoped - that such open talk should finally make HMG and the EU as a whole realise that Netanyahu and his government are the problem and should be opposed as such.

Lead story in the ft today

View attachment 399712

No Hamas and no Palestinian Authority... I wonder who that leaves, real head scratcher

Question is does anyone in US government really oppose the extension of Israeli occupation... History suggests of course not
only just go to read the article as was on my phone without a bypass - includes Netanyahu quote
“I insist upon it,” he said. “There may be pressure on this issue. I don’t intend to cave.”

I don't know if I can show what I just saw online. It's the most depressing video.
Two women wearing gloves sifting through scraps of clothing and body parts of children...trying to locate their dead children...to have a body to bury.
It's harrowing. Made me physically sick to watch.

This is so fucking wrong.

An interview with Daniella Weiss a long-standing settler movement activist which was put up on the New Yorker website yesterday.

The Extreme Ambitions of West Bank Settlers - The New Yorker (archived)

Includes:
When Israel pulled out of Gaza, in 2005, it also closed down settlements in the region. This was under the Sharon government. And there’s been talk by some settlers since October 7th about the need to repopulate Gaza with settlements. What are your feelings about what should happen with Gaza?
Right now, I’m on my way to a TV interview where I’m going to speak about our movement’s efforts to return to Gaza, the entire Gaza, and build settlements.
So you think it was a mistake to pull out of settlements nearly twenty years ago?
It was a mistake. The whole world is crying now because of that. The whole world suffers from Hamas’s rise. Not my problem. It’s your problem. No country in the world said they were going to accept even a thousand people from Gaza. The world hates them. It was such a big mistake to let them rise.

Where should the Palestinians in Gaza go?
To Sinai, to Egypt, to Turkey.
They’re not Egyptian or Turkish, though. Why would they go to Turkey?
O.K. The Ukrainians are not French, but when the war started they went to many countries.
Their country was being bombed, and so many of them fled west.
And Gazan people are dying to go to other places.
I think Ukrainians wanted to go to Europe because they didn’t want to get bombed.
And the Gazan people want to get bombed by us?

Reactions: CH1
Blair did say that the UK et al should have tried to engage with Hamas after it won the elections to the Palestinian Authority in 2006

Bit of context.

Ive read Ilan Pappe book on the Nakba. But not this follow up. Its on my list.

Hes saying ( as an Israeli born Jew) that the Occupied Territories ( Gaza and West Bank ) are part of the Zionist colonising political project.

48 Nakba was a partial success but left some of Palestine not under Zionist control

The post 67 occupation had been pre planned re how to run it.

Gaza a closed prison / West Bank and open prison.

He says the Two State solution is the Open prison. Where Palestinians are treated like minor criminals and have some freedom of movement.

He regards the Two State solution as not the answer.

The rational is that the Occupation is a temporary measure and when a two state solution is agreed Israel will pull out. He regards this as the wrong way to see it. Occupation / Oslo two state solution has enabled Zionists to incrementally push out more Palestinians from land the covet and build settlements in West Bank.

So he says the starting point is to see Israel for what it is ( and he should know being born there) a settler colonial state which is still pushing Palestinians out and taking their land.

So he says instead of occupied territories ( which sounds temporary) this should be referred to as colonising territories.

Which Palestinians are right to resist.

That answer is Decolonising Israel.

He looks to South Africa as example. One Man one Vote.

A One state solution where Jews and Palestinians live together as equals. Not as Colonisers and colonised.

This would be the end of Israel as a Zionist state for Jews only.

As a Jew he wants to live in a non Zionist non racist state where he can live together with Palestinians.

Its from 2017 but still relevant.

In summary, Israel has the right to lay the Gaza Strip to waste because of the events of 7 October. And not for Starmer or anyone else to get in the way of that. In fact, the current atrocities are needed in order to avoid future atrocities!

He's right about one thing. Over time, the facts on the ground will change. The Israeli government is banking on it.

He's going to speak up just at the point that Israel is going to stop anyway.

Notice also, consistent with everything said on the topic by Starmer and the Labour leadership, whereas October 7 is always an act of agency, a terrorist attack, an atrocity so forth, Israel’s bombardment of Gaza is treated more like a natural disaster - a‘humanitarian catastrophe’. The reason for this sleight of hand is obvious, it makes Labour’s response -‘humanitarian aid’ - seem more reasonable than demanding that those responsible for the ‘humanitarian catastrophe’ stop continuing it. And then the stuff about ‘international law’ - always alluded to in the vaguest terms - is meant to get Labour off the hook for the many atrocities Israel is committing, atrocities that anybody who knows anything about the region knows Israel will commit and continue to commit.

Babies had to be removed from incubators as power has gone in Al Shifa hospital ...the babies are now all lying together on the floor under blankets as IDF snipers shoot through the hospital windows and soldiers surround the hospital according to Dr Mads Gilbert. He goes on to counter the Israeli claims of hamas bases at the hospital and says he and his colleagues have never seen hamas around the hospital and he denies there is a base there.

There are clips of IDF commanders saying they will protect the babies and move them to another hospital but then Dr Gilbert describes how snipers are shooting jn the windows and one nurse was killed already by the sniper.
The lies are so blatant now.

Then this..

The Israeli president showing a pristine copy of Mein Kampf allegedly found in a child's "sitting room " on the body of an alleged hamas soldier AFTER the place was bombed. Really?? And this is some sort of justification for what Israel is doing now to ordinary and undoubtedly innocent people.

Last edited:
Amazing, incredible, absurd even, to think he actually expects that to be believed :facepalm:

I'm guessing any challenges to its veracity will be met all over the place with if you don't believe the president of Israel you must be an anti-semite11!!1

And by the way why can't that fucker have a shave, or at least grow an actual beard? This permanent stubble thing just makes him look scruffy and half-arsed. And now I've turned into my grandad :mad:

Back
Top Bottom