Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

is facebook repressing posts about the confilict? suspicious absence of palastinian related content on my feed - depsite huge proportion of LOC facebook freinds. i.e. not seen one post promoting the demo, or highlighting the carnage. is this also happening on other platforms?

I suspected the same on Twitter the few days.

I literally only have Palestine related posts in my Twitter right now.

There's some very busy WhatsApp groups as well

UK military involved?

There was this posted a while back

Any truth in this? Seen it on numbers of websites.

Looks far-fetched. Is Xi is supposed to have gone "I know what will show 'em..."?

Any truth in this? Seen it on numbers of websites.

Yes. They removed Israel from two map platforms last week. Baidu map (Chinese equivalent of google map) doesn't show the country outline or flag, but a search does geo-locate its position.

A lot of pro-Palestinian content is being heavily circulated (seen Novara Media and Norman Finkelstein clips do the rounds!), although occasionally I see pro-Israel content. The popular video platforms on geo-politics can sometimes resemble the Daily Mail in tone, albeit with lots of affirmations of who should win. Alarmingly, quite a few anti-semitic comments can be found.

This article seemed to have a few things to say on the latter

Within Zionism there are left and right versions.

Labour Zionism is "left" in a Zionist way.

David Ben Gurion for example was a Labour Zionist.

And was one of the main leaders involved in the expulsion of Palestinians -The Nakba.

Which if one reads Ilan Pappe book the Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine makes him a war criminal.

In Israel left can mean different things to what one might think looking at it historically

Labour Zionism Ben Gurion version was one that was dominant for decades after Israel was founded. With Zionist Labour organisations - Histadrut being important part of this.

Both Labour Zionism ( I see the twitter used an old photo) and right Zionism were predicated on expulsion of Palestinians.

And yes there were big divisions in Zionist movement. But for Palestinians this was not the issue. As both wanted a Zionist state.
Yep. The current far right Likud etc types are basically the heirs of Revisionist Zionism, ie the fash.

That's the horrific thing for me. I fully expected Israel to level the place, but that everybody who holds any kind of power seems to be perfectly OK with that, or actively supports it, is shocking to me. Just fucking heartbreaking.

And then they are slandering people who march to try to stop it, and shipping in their thugs and I dunno, it's really brought things into sharp relief for me.

Back
Top Bottom