Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Grenfell Tower fire in North Kensington - news and discussion

It obviously says this in Indy article, but this more from residents point of view. I've seen another resident on the tv that was pretty irate about it too.

"The tower block had been fitted with external plastic cladding last year costing £10million. Residents said the panels were fitted to make the block more aesthetically pleasing for residents of luxury developments nearby, while lifts in neighbouring blocks had been left broken for years despite costing approximately £60,000 to repair."
Council blamed over tower blaze deaths

Christ. This is truly grotesque, was the plastic cladding really just for that?!?!

Barefaced Cunts.

416AA58600000578-4603626-image-m-70_1497450347520.jpg

I don't think I like the BBC interviewer shoving the mic in distraught people and asking for the details of the loved ones they're desperately, frantically looking for.

London fire: Twelve confirmed dead but police expect further fatalities after tower block blaze – latest updates

Tensions have erupted in clashes with the police outside the Rugby Portobello trust, which is acting as a centre for dispossessed people.

The road outside the club was packed with people, some in tears and some wailing. A fracas broke out, apparently over a journalist trying to film a distraught woman. Some men moved to protect the woman and, within seconds, a large contingent of police officers were jostling with the crowd amid shouting and screaming.

Mayor Sadiq Khan is not a happy bunny at the moment, I think. All I am thinking is praying for the suffering of the souls including babies, children, women, and those who perished.

From J Ed's post:

Tensions have erupted in clashes with the police outside the Rugby Portobello trust, which is acting as a centre for dispossessed people.

The road outside the club was packed with people, some in tears and some wailing. A fracas broke out, apparently over a journalist trying to film a distraught woman. Some men moved to protect the woman and, within seconds, a large contingent of police officers were jostling with the crowd amid shouting and screaming.
By turns you commodifiy and you residualise housing and people's homes go up in flames.

When you try to commodify and sensationalsise their grief, anger and sadness don't be surprised at the consequences.

Louis MacNeice

More like Bradford really, but everyone's forgotten about that!

or for us oldies one of my earliest childhood memories was Aberfan and being sat down in infant school and told what had happened and watching it on a small black and white TV. Intensely sad - May knows she can't visit the grieving , displaced or injured. She would be lynched.

or for us oldies one of my earliest childhood memories was Aberfan and being sat down in infant school and told what had happened and watching it on a small black and white TV. Intensely sad - May knows she can't visit the grieving , displaced or injured. She would be lynched.
I'll never ever forget Aberfan. I was the same age as some of those kids who died. The anger with the NCB and the government stayed with me all my life.

Eventually some kind of justice was obtained and changes were made within the industry. I hope that this tragedy makes big changes too and casts the spotlight on the whole fuck up of affordable, safe housing for Londoners and exploitative landlords.

How long before she does get there to offer "sympathy"? I'm guessing not till its too late to be meaningful, but not too late for some sort of political posturing.

How long before she does get there to offer "sympathy"? I'm guessing not till its too late to be meaningful, but not too late for some sort of political posturing.

She'll go somewhere easily managed, like one of the hospitals or a community centre (next week when it can be locked down and controlled). It's too real and fluid atm and she might have to face people's genuine emotions, she's not capable of that.

I'll never ever forget Aberfan. I was the same age as some of those kids who died. The anger with the NCB and the government stayed with me all my life.

Eventually some kind of justice was obtained and changes were made within the industry. I hope that this tragedy makes big changes too and casts the spotlight on the whole fuck up of affordable, safe housing for Londoners and exploitative landlords.

That the NCB took money from the public donations to the families to repair the heaps was just one of the elements of one of the great crimes of the 20th Century in Britain.

The thing is that the people who lived there have done 'the right thing', they highlighted all of these dangers in resident groups. What are they supposed to have done beyond that?
More than that, we've heard how people:

• Called in the fire on 999
  • Followed the ‘stay and wait’ instructions
  • Or, if they tried to leave the building, knocked up their neighbours first to make sure they knew what was going on
  • Helped others who couldn't walk so well leave via the stairs
  • Meanwhile, people outside who saw the fire take hold initially went into the building to raise the alarm with residents who might not realise what was going on
  • Helped direct emergency services to where people were trapped
  • Set up ad hoc shelters, information points, rest areas and canteens
  • Offered rooms or sofas in their own homes for displaced residents
  • Turned up from across London/England/the UK with food, drink and other supplies for survivors and rescue workers
  • Donated money to numerous fundraising efforts which were spontaneously set up

It's already political. You cage the poorest in towerblocks and then abandon them economically. These are decisions made by politicians who hate the working class.
What I meant is ffs give it a day or two so people can find their loved ones and if not digest it all , but tm should really have come out and said something

She'll go somewhere easily managed, like one of the hospitals or a community centre (next week when it can be locked down and controlled). It's too real and fluid atm and she might have to face people's genuine emotions, she's not capable of that.

She's hardly Churchill on Sidney Street calibre.

Can't disagree he's a cunt.

But, cuts to the fire service doesn't seem to have been an issue here, they arrived within 6 minutes of being called.

The focus should be on what went wrong with this block, considering fires in blocks of flats happen all the time, they are normally contained, never has anything like this happened before in the UK, something seems to have gone very wrong with this block - and that seems to have more to do with the money spent on the cladding.

If that's proved to be the problem, action needs taking straight away on other blocks that have had this 'improvement' - with no expensive spared on resolving the risk that has been created.

I am so fucking angry about this. :mad:

she will be being advised by a cunty cunt-faced collection of SPADs and/or 'not on my fire watch' Barwell - probably after Corbyn and Prince Charles though.

Back
Top Bottom