Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Grenfell Tower fire in North Kensington - news and discussion

Presumably the building will have to come down completely after this. And I doubt whatever gets built in its place will be social housing with priority for the original residents.

It's looking like it might fall over all by itself. The pictures are so shocking - like something from a movie where you'd say nah, it'd never happen like that.

I hate to think what's going to happen to the tenants. Stuck in a B&B then shipped out somewhere hundreds of miles from home, probably. And yup, there'll be more luxury flats to lie empty.

Harley Facades were pretty quick to take down their page about the Grenfell Tower development. It sounds as though in this case their product did make the situation worse, causing the fire to rapidly spread all over the building.

They were just the installer not the manufacturer of the system. Its not surprising that you'd take down a case study of project (designed to show your expertise) under the circumstances. Even if its not their fault this will probably bankrupt them again, possibly the main contractor Rydon as well.

They may yet be at blame due to the installation but its too early to know. The cladding system as specified was a non-combustible system yet eye witness reports have it lighting up like painted wood. Its astonishing what has gone on and I'm struggling to get my head around it.

And speaking of cunts, latest press release from KCTMO

It is too early to speculate what caused the fire and contributed to its spread. We will co-operate fully with all the relevant authorities in order to ascertain the cause of this tragedy.

We are aware that concerns have been raised historically by residents. We always take all concerns seriously and these will form part of our forthcoming investigations. While these investigations continue with our co-operation, our core priority at the moment is our residents

It's looking like it might fall over all by itself. The pictures are so shocking - like something from a movie where you'd say nah, it'd never happen like that.

I hate to think what's going to happen to the tenants. Stuck in a B&B then shipped out somewhere hundreds of miles from home, probably. And yup, there'll be more luxury flats to lie empty.
And then there's the ongoing problems associated with them not being able to get to work from wherever they're sent, the probability of losing their jobs due to PTSD, the problems of not having anyone around them that can empathise, the problems of not having family and friends to help, etc

But someone, somewhere, will build the luxury/expensive to rent flats and make a fortune out of the misery of these people.

I think updating the look of the building is of benefit to everyone in the area, especially the residents. If you're trying to get planning permission you reach out to people likely to complain by telling them it will improve the area.

Interestingly that article then goes on to back up exactly what I've been saying and the cavity behind the cladding.

I predict no accountability for this.

the guy May just promoted back into office was the tory housing minister who sat on the report that there were exactly these kinds of problems.

One horrible thought I had is where does the responsibility lie for carrying out the fire risk assessment? Who was in control of the building, was it the landlord or the TMO? If it's the TMO, they could find themselves prosecuted even tho they were making the landlord aware of issues!

I don't know how the law stands in this respect!

Enough empty apartments lying around London doing nothing, least some landlords could do is house these people, even if it's only for a couple of weeks. but they won't, because, you know....H&S or some other bullshit.

Hopefully there's plenty of people out there offering at the very least a sofa and a meal I'm sure. However it's going to be the mental trauma that needs to be treated delicately. None of the survivors should be left alone at this moment in time.

Enough empty apartments lying around London doing nothing, least some landlords could do is house these people, even if it's only for a couple of weeks. but they won't, because, you know....H&S or some other bullshit.

Hopefully there's plenty of people out there offering at the very least a sofa and a meal I'm sure. However it's going to be the mental trauma that needs to be treated delicately. None of the survivors should be left alone at this moment in time.
equally they should not be smothered with kindness. they'll need some space to come to terms with what has happened.

Bang on. Hopefully it won't take the guts of thirty years to get justice, though.
Yep. In some ways I don't want to get into where this goes to on the day when it's actually happening. But getting angry is really the best act of solidarity. And on the Hillsborough comparison, you can almost be certain the survivors of the fire will probably end up having to bring a private prosecution at some point in the future.

I know people are pretty raw at the moment but I do think there are a lot of leaps being made. Lets bear in mind that this block was refurbished, it was clearly intended to make the lives of the residents better. Elsewhere residents have had their homes knocked down and turned into yuppie flats whilst they have found themselves turfed out to Essex or wherever. This one was a case of improving existing housing stock.

Whilst there clearly are wider issues regarding the effects of cuts on fire brigades and quite clearly a serious issue with the way the building was managed, currently on the face of it it the fire itself does appear to be a construction issue. How it spread so quickly is unclear and very worrying.
From the Indy article above it seemed that the refurbishment was about asthetics for neighbouring private blocks and not about what the Grenfell residents wanted or were raising concerns about for years

the guy May just promoted back into office was the tory housing minister who sat on the report that there were exactly these kinds of problems.

This is the reports that Barwell had advice that building regs regarding fire needed to be tightened up. If it does turn out that the construction work was carried out correctly and in-line with regs and the materials used were suitable than the fall-out will be massive. Absolutely massive.

This is the reports that Barwell had advice that building regs regarding fire needed to be tightened up. If it does turn out that the construction work was carried out correctly and in-line with regs and the materials used were suitable than the fall-out will be massive. Absolutely massive.
heads will roll

I predict no accountability for this.

Well that's another own goal for her not that this should get political , yet..

Back
Top Bottom