Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Grenfell Tower fire in North Kensington - news and discussion

This weeks Inside Housing Grenfell Diary (archived):
Grenfell Tower Inquiry week 68: ‘Can we agree that was a pretty dangerous thing to have, all this falling on one man’s shoulders?’

(Links to the daily reports at the bottom of that page. All links should be working)

Thursday was day 250 of the public hearings in Phase 2 of the Inquiry.

Another very interesting week. First Louise Upton, head of the fire safety policy team, originally within the DCLG (currently the DLUHC - it's a department which has changed names more often than a dodgy builder) but which was moved to the Home Office. Then the most senior former civil servant the Inquiry will hear from, Melanie Dawes, formerly DCLG Permanent Secretary, currently the chief executive of OFCOM.

And lastly the first day of evidence from Brian Martin. Originally from a local authority building control background, between 1999 to 2008 Martin was seconded to the DCLG from the Building Research Establishment. He then moved to the Department as a policy lead in 2008, and became the DCLG's in-house expert on the fire safety aspects of the Building Regulations and associated guidance. After the fire he was promoted to Head of Technical Policy. At about the time that this module of the Inquiry began last autumn, (and also at the point that Michael Gove took over the Department, amongst other things to reset the Government's post-Grenfell response), Martin was in his words "encouraged to find an alternative post" and currently works in the planning directorate.
The challenges associated with my attendance at the Inquiry and the attention I was getting in the press was making it increasingly difficult for me to carry out my duties.

Martin will be giving evidence all next week (and possibly into the week after). It was made quite clear on this first day of evidence that he will be questioned very robustly about his role in the DCLG's failure to spot the growing use of combustible materials in cladding systems, to address the inadequacy of the Building Regulation guidance which was interpreted as permitting this, and his failures both to clarify the guidance when asked to, and to flag the importance of the issue up within the DCLG hierarchy. All of this despite multiple specific warnings and 'learning opportunities' from the early 2000s onwards.

We will get into the meat of his evidence - the period when he played a more direct role in forming policy, both by commission and omission, next week.

As I said last week people have been looking forward to Martin's evidence with keen interest. It is perhaps worth stressing that while Martin played a very significant role in how it became possible to wrap buildings in combustible materials, this in no way exonerates every other fucker involved at every level of the manufacturing, construction, housing management, product certification and building control (etc etc etc) sectors.

The Inside Housing Grenfell Diaries are doing a very good job IMO (obviously from a housing association industry perspective) but by now there is a very great deal to cover each week. If you're not already listening to it I recommend the weekly BBC podcasts as another extremely useful overview.

Last edited:
Grenfell Tower Inquiry diary week 69: ‘It was just unthinkable, you had the makings here of a crisis that you simply couldn’t conceive of’

(Links to the daily reports at the bottom of that page. All links should be working)

Inquiry Chairman Moore-Bick tested positive for covid at the end of last week. He chaired this week's hearings by remote link and is due back in person next week.

Four more days of evidence from Brian Martin. He's due back on Monday and Tuesday. A great deal of ground covered. The diary does a good job but as I said last week it will be worth listening to the BBC podcast as well.

After Martin the first member of the Government is scheduled to give evidence on Wednesday. Brandon Lewis, currently the NI Secretary, was an under-secretary of state at the DCLG from 2012-14 and then Minister from 2014-16. Presumably the response to the Lakanal fire and the deregulation policies of the coalition and Cameron governments will come up. Following him James Wharton who was an under-secretary of state at the DCLG from 2015-16.

In advance of their evidence Peter Apps put up a link to a 2018 Inside Housing article - How politics prevented the chance of stopping Grenfell. At the bottom of it is a link to their long three part 2018 article The Paper Trail: the Failure of Building Regulations.

Martin will be giving evidence all next week (and possibly into the week after). It was made quite clear on this first day of evidence that he will be questioned very robustly about his role in the DCLG's failure to spot the growing use of combustible materials in cladding systems, to address the inadequacy of the Building Regulation guidance which was interpreted as permitting this, and his failures both to clarify the guidance when asked to, and to flag the importance of the issue up within the DCLG hierarchy. All of this despite multiple specific warnings and 'learning opportunities' from the early 2000s onwards.

We will get into the meat of his evidence - the period when he played a more direct role in forming policy, both by commission and omission, next week.

I think we get the gist of his attitude towards these matters:

"A senior official told colleagues that a coroner’s recommendation to encourage housing providers to fit sprinklers in high-rise blocks was “essentially pointless” and they did not need to “kiss her backside”.

29 March 2022: Senior official said government did not need to ‘kiss the backside’ of Lakanal House coroner

"A civil servant has admitted he could have potentially prevented the Grenfell Tower fire on a number of occasions ..."

30 March 2022: Grenfell Tower: Official admits he could have prevented fire

_123956079_de27-1.jpg

(Source: BBC)

"Brian Martin, the head of technical policy for building regulation, told the public inquiry that he found it hard to express how sorry he was."

Not as sorry as the friends and relatives of the people who lost their lives.

Grenfell Tower Inquiry diary week 70: ‘Show me the bodies’

Next week the last three former ministers to give evidence: On Monday Stephen Williams who was under-secretary of state at the DCLG with responsibility for building regulations from 2013-15. Tuesday Gavin Barwell, minister of state for housing and planning from 2016-17. Wednesday and Thursday Eric Pickles who was secretary of state for communities and local government from 2010-15.

Not sure what further witnesses are due to give evidence in this module of the Inquiry. If these are in fact the last then next we will presumably hear opening statements for Module 4 (looking at the response of local and central government in the immediate aftermath of the fire), before the Inquiry breaks for a week over Easter (week commencing 18th April).

“Brian Martin’s reply to me was, ‘Where’s the evidence? Show me the bodies,’ said Mr Webb. “It was as if he needed a disaster before he or the government would act.”

He, Brian Martin, should have been dragged down the morgue after Grenfell to see the charred bodies and told "there they are you c***".

Thanks again Lurdan for the updates.

Grenfell Tower week 71: ‘I have changed my schedules to fit this in. I do have an extremely busy day meeting people’

That was the last week of evidence for Module 6. Next week the start of Module 4 which will look at
the performance of local and central government in the immediate aftermath of the disaster.

On Monday a short opening from Counsel to the Inquiry setting out in more detail the issues the Module will be focussing on. Then opening statements from Bereaved Survivors and Residents Teams 1 and 2 and Imran Khan, who will undoubtedly have much to say. Followed by the Met, RBKC, the Mayor of London, the Cabinet Office and the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities.

The Module will presumably hear more evidence from local and national politicians and officials. But before getting to them it is starting on Tuesday with several days of evidence from the bereaved survivors and residents themselves.

Twitter thread by Peter Apps of Inside Housing about a few of the points made by Danny Friedman in his opening on behalf of BSR Team 1.

EKYjex4.png

Twitter thread link

Danny Friedman QC says this slur was only being pushed by RBKC, with police saying there were no public order issues. "RBKC's efforts to instil fear of the crowd against our clients could not have underscored more why it was inappropriate for response to remain under its control".

Inquiry has heard this morning that RBKC rejected external support offered at 7.44am on the morning of the blaze to avoid looking like "we can't cope". Meanwhile, survivors were left without support in "unspeakably terrible" conditions.

At the same time, KCTMO was instructing a PR firm to put out messages about the compliance of the refurbishment at 11am on the morning of the blaze - before the rescue operation had been declared over.

Central govt failed to intervene, assuming RBKC was "a tight and steady ship" and that its chief executive Nicholas Holgate would be a competent Gold Commander because he had once worked at The Treasury.

Lunchtime Inside Housing report on this mornings opening statements:
RBKC sought to ‘instill fear’ about Grenfell survivors as its response to fire ‘collapsed’, inquiry hears

Assuming the transcript is put up in the usual way today (occasionally it isn't) I'll start transcribing some of the opening statements as web pages and post links tonight. Written submissions from the core participants making oral submissions are being put up as the various Counsel start speaking. Links on this page here.

As I write this Counsel for RBKC has just finished making a long list of admissions about it's manifest and very visible failings immediately after the fire.

Here is a transcript of the opening statement by Richard Millett setting out what this module of the Inquiry will be dealing with.

As will become apparent over the next few weeks, the different pieces of legislation and statutory guidance which provide the framework for the States response to major emergencies and disasters, are implemented by a network of local bodies, all of it with an arsenal of annoying acronyms. Millett gave a compact outline of this structure but was obliged to use a graphic to illustrate the different bodies and their relationship. That part of his presentation was of necessity a bit technical.

After that, however, he went through the six topics this module will be looking at. That part starts here.

The six topics, which will be dealt with in roughly this order, are:
  1. BSRs. Evidence from those who were directly affected in the immediate aftermath of the fire.
  2. RBKC. Their responsibilities, plans, policies, and procedures, and their response to the consequences of the fire.
  3. The TMO. It's role in the aftermath of the fire.
  4. The voluntary, community and faith sectors.
  5. London Resilience (the body co-ordinating disaster and emergency planning in London).
  6. Central Government. It's plans and procedures at the time of the fire, and it's response in practise.
More detail at that link. We will apparently be hearing from one or two people who have already given evidence in previous modules, including former DCLG Permanent Secretary Melanie Dawes, and a particular "favourite", Robert Black, the former CEO of the so-called 'TMO' which managed Grenfell Tower.

And here is a transcript of the opening submission made by Danny Friedman for BSR Team 1.

When the Grenfell fire occurred it seemed to me that there were two appalling events one after the other. The first was the fire itself. That was the subject of Phase 1 of the Inquiry. So far much of Phase 2 has been looking at the background to the fire, from the refurbishment which wrapped the building in combustibles, all the way through to the establishment of the framework of inadequate and unenforced building regulations under which it was signed off. With this Module we come back to the second appalling event. The catastrophic failure of local and national Government to deal with the aftermath of the fire.

Five years after the fire it might be imagined that 'Inquiry fatigue' would have set in, and that it would be difficult to summon up some of the rage provoked at the time by that second event. I can only say that Friedman's opening succeeded in doing that for me. I will (fear not) be posting more links this week, including transcribed versions of the other two BSR opening statements. However if you only have time to read one I would recommend this one.

ETA: Tuesday morning. I've corrected an error in the fourteenth paragraph of Friedman's opening, which begins "In the aftermath", where some words were missing in the final sentence.
All of this matters because in the UK there is no statutory or administrative concept of a disaster, only an emergency, defined in the Civil Contingencies Act 2004 as an event or situation which threatens serious damage to human welfare.

Last edited:
Not sure this is my idea of Easter bank holiday reading however.

I posted Monday morning's Inside Housing daily report above. There was a second IH report that day mostly based on comments about Eric Pickles in one of the opening submissions.
And Lucie Heath wrote a story for yesterday's Guardian about the evidence from former Ministers.
Ex-ministers could have shown humility and regret at the Grenfell inquiry. They didn’t - Lucie Heath - The Guardian

I posted a link to a transcript of Danny Friedman's opening statement for BSR Team 1 above. Here are links to the other BSR openings.

Imran Khan for those BSR's represented by Imran Khan & Partners

Leslie Thomas for BSR Team 2

Here is this weeks Inside Housing Grenfell Diary (archived):
Grenfell Tower Inquiry diary week 72: ‘The system isn’t broken. It was built this way’

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday heard evidence from those directly affected by the aftermath of the fire. Relatives of some of those who died who had gone to the Tower on the day of the fire, former occupants of the Tower who got out of it and residents of the finger blocks in front of the tower who were evacuated from their homes for some time, described their different experiences over that first week. Common to all of them was the complete failure of any even marginally adequate official disaster relief operation. They also spoke about the support from the local community, and about the birth of Grenfell United in one of the improvised 'rest centres'. Some of it was very difficult listening. The BBC podcast will presumably be up as usual later today. This is another week where hearing some of the words spoken is as important as reading them IMO.

The first to give evidence was Karim Mussilhy, one of the bereaved. At the end he said this.

uCcusJq.png

The Inquiry resumes on Monday 25th.

Last edited:

I posted Monday morning's Inside Housing daily report above. There was a second IH report that day mostly based on comments about Eric Pickles in one of the opening submissions.
And Lucie Heath wrote a story for yesterday's Guardian about the evidence from former Ministers.
Ex-ministers could have shown humility and regret at the Grenfell inquiry. They didn’t - Lucie Heath - The Guardian

I posted a link to a transcript of Danny Friedman's opening statement for BSR Team 1 above. Here are links to the other BSR openings.

Grenfell Tower Inquiry diary week 72: ‘The system isn’t broken. It was built this way’

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday heard evidence from those directly affected by the aftermath of the fire. Relatives of some of those who died who had gone to the Tower on the day of the fire, former occupants of the Tower who got out of it and residents of the finger blocks in front of the tower who were evacuated from their homes for some time, described their different experiences over that first week. Common to all of them was the complete failure of any even marginally adequate official disaster relief operation. They also spoke about the support from the local community, and about the birth of Grenfell United in one of the improvised 'rest centres'. Some of it was very difficult listening. The BBC podcast will presumably be up as usual later today. This is another week where hearing some of the words spoken is as important as reading them IMO.

The first to give evidence was Karim Mussilhy, one of the bereaved. At the end he said this.

uCcusJq.png

That last quote should be flyposted round the country,on leaflets through doors, spread on every social media platform

uCcusJq.png

Thank you for spending your good Friday morning putting this together for us

One thing, as much as anything, that offends me about all this, is that the enquiry is still grinding on. It's as if the powers that be Hope that by the time they've finished it will all be forgotten by the majority.
Yeh I'm sure it's been forgotten by most people already and tbh five years on it's receded in my own mind despite the utter horror and incandescent anger and sorrow I felt at the time and for many months after. Since then we've had so much rotten shit in this country that it'd be very difficult for Grenfell to retain the prominence it deserves. But reading this thread brings back that anger and sorrow for the survivors and bereaved and hatred - not too strong a word - for the scum who caused the fire and who've prospered since.

Yeh I'm sure it's been forgotten by most people already and tbh five years on it's receded in my own mind despite the utter horror and incandescent anger and sorrow I felt at the time and for many months after. Since then we've had so much rotten shit in this country that it'd be very difficult for Grenfell to retain the prominence it deserves. But reading this thread brings back that anger and sorrow for the survivors and bereaved and hatred - not too strong a word - for the scum who caused the fire and who've prospered since.
And continue to prosper

Grenfell Tower Inquiry diary week 73: ‘Most people would regard that as hopeless’

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday heard evidence from two members of RBKC's contingency planning unit and their line manager. The unit was responsible both for advance planning for emergencies and disasters, and for initiating the response when events occurred. The last of them to give evidence, Rebecca Blackburn, gave an extremely blunt account of RBKC's failings over the first couple of days. The Diary gives a good account of their evidence.

On Monday two more BSRs gave evidence about their experiences. First, Nabil Choucair, one of the bereaved (his brother gave evidence before Easter). Then Hanan Wahabi, a former resident of the tower who had been a member of the Grenfell Action Group during the refurbishment. She and her family survived the fire. Her brother, his wife and their three children, who also lived in the tower, did not. At the end of her evidence she read a statement she had prepared. An extract is quoted in the Grenfell Diary. Here is the whole thing.

Counsel to the Inquiry Zeenat Islam: If we could just go to paragraph 82 of [your] statement, please, you say:

"It was clear that RBKC and the government failed us in their response. I hope nothing like this ever happens again. However, there needs to be plans in place which ensure a coordinated response which enables people have access to the support and services they need. Families should be treated with dignity.”

You have just touched on this, but if there’s anything else you would like to add, what lessons do you feel need to be learned from the experience that you and your family had in the immediate aftermath?

Hanan Wahabi: I've actually written some words to answer this question, because I... I mean, thank you for allowing me to take my time to respond to the questions today, that has helped, but part of my PTSD is I do kind of get tongue-twisted sometimes, the simplest of vocabulary just, you know, go. So I wanted to prepare something that I feel comfortable reading, and I’ve got that with me today to answer this question.

Zeenat Islam: Of course.

Hanan Wahabi: Thank you, first of all, thank you very much.

So the last time I was asked that question, I implored Sir Martin to ensure there was change. I want to thank you and the entire Inquiry team for the work you are doing to expose the truth about the failings that led to 72 preventable deaths, including that of my dear brother, Abdulaziz, his wife, Faouzia, and the beloved children, Yasin, Nur Huda and Mehdi.

There are some things I'd like to say that go beyond my statements and, to some extent, also beyond the scope of the Inquiry. These are not only addressed to you, but to everybody working in housing, the built environment, local and central government.

First, to the community, volunteers, charities, and religious groups who rushed to our aid from all over the country and the world, who were present and supported us in the best way they could, words can never express my gratitude. Thank you for everything you did and continue to do.

I know the authorities, be they local or central government, may feel that they have contributed to the support during the aftermath. For me personally and my family, this is far from the truth. No one from government looked for us. No one helped us. We were left exposed and vulnerable, and when the authorities eventually did come, it felt like a tick-box exercise. We were treated like numbers, not humans. This is something that we still feel today.

In my experience, in the eyes of local and central government, our Grenfell and North Kensington community are second class, the people with needs and problems. I cannot help but feel that had our community lived in a different part of the borough, on the more affluent side, had we been from a different class, had we been less ethnic, the response in the aftermath would have been immediate. It would have been present. It would have been felt.

We may be different, we may be diverse, but we are people. Think of the different professions in the tower, of the challenges that so many from the BAME communities had overcome prior to the fire in 2017. Think of the dignity demonstrated by those of us impacted over the last five years. We are human beings. We contribute. We pay tax. We provide leadership in our communities. In truth, our differences and diversity are a contribution to the borough and the country.

Some people think about the aftermath as straight after the fire, but the aftermath continues today, five years later. The aftermath will last for years to come, and the impact will be generational. You cannot imagine what it is like having no one there to help you, to give you any glimpse or bit of information, anything, any strings to hold onto. When you don’t know what’s happened to your loved ones, it’s torture. We experienced torture. The aftermath was torture. It was physically and mentally torturing.

The Prime Minister promised that we’ll be housed in three weeks. Four of us, including my 16-year-old son and 8-year-old daughter, were moved into one hotel room, a room I remained in for 18 months. Four individuals who were survivors and bereaved. Can you imagine the PTSD, the impact it had on us as a family? And that is just me. Imagine what it is like for all other families, bereaved, survivors. Imagine what it is like for my mum. She lost her son, her grandchildren, her daughter-in-law. No one checked on her. No one asked about her.

And I ought to say something about the children. They are the most forgotten. Even those who had parents who had lived, in the aftermath of the fire, the children experienced life as if they were orphans. We weren't and couldn’t be there for our children. We couldn't even be there for us.

My body has never experienced so much pain since 14 June 2017. Physical, internal and emotional pain. Life isn’t easy anymore. Life is a challenge. Fear is constant. Nightmares never go. Inner peace is what we yearn for. Even when we feel like it's going to be okay, it’s just a matter of time that a memory, a thought, a feeling, an experience will interrupt that, and then we’re back there again, like it's happening all over again.

You may see us smiling at times, you may see children laughing, but that is just the part that avoids and masks. This tragedy has pierced wounds in each and every one of us in ways that one cannot imagine. We may now and again put plasters to hide our wounds, but they are still there, and sometimes, many times, those plasters fall off.

To this day, the support that we are given is only provided after jumping through hoops, whether it’s fighting to get house repairs done or get the medical support we need. We are forever asked to prove that we have been impacted, forever having to prove our pain. We are constantly having the impact assessed and measured to prove that we need mental or physical therapy, to prove we are still in pain.

Is it not enough that we walked out of the building and had to watch my family, my brother and his family die? We still need support. Our children need support. Local and central government cannot be allowed to abandon us, to wash their hands of us, when they think they have done enough. What happened to us was through their failings. Our loss, our pain, our wounds are because of them.

This duty of care needs to extend beyond us to the rest of the country, to the thousands of families who live in communities like us, like we had at Grenfell, who are still treated as second-class citizens. It needs to extend to the thousands impacted by the building safety crisis up and down the country.

We are still impacted. We still hurt. We still remember. We haven’t forgotten. All the issues we have, the PTSD, the mental and physical trauma that you see as problems in us, this isn’t who we were; this is who some of us are now because of what the government did to us. Because of your absence, because you were not there, because you did not show that you cared, you have sapped all the energy from us. Those that caused this tragedy need to be held accountable. Their duty of care to us now has no limit.

Thank you.

Starting Tuesday next week evidence from two former senior RBKC officers, Sue Redmond, director of adult social care, and Laura Johnson, director of housing. Then Nicholas Holgate, RBKC's former Town Clerk (chief executive) who took overall charge of it's response to the fire.

Grenfell Tower Inquiry diary week 73: ‘Most people would regard that as hopeless’

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday heard evidence from two members of RBKC's contingency planning unit and their line manager. The unit was responsible both for advance planning for emergencies and disasters, and for initiating the response when events occurred. The last of them to give evidence, Rebecca Blackburn, gave an extremely blunt account of RBKC's failings over the first couple of days. The Diary gives a good account of their evidence.

On Monday two more BSRs gave evidence about their experiences. First, Nabil Choucair, one of the bereaved (his brother gave evidence before Easter). Then Hanan Wahabi, a former resident of the tower who had been a member of the Grenfell Action Group during the refurbishment. She and her family survived the fire. Her brother, his wife and their three children, who also lived in the tower, did not. At the end of her evidence she read a statement she had prepared. An extract is quoted in the Grenfell Diary. Here is the whole thing.

Counsel to the Inquiry Zeenat Islam: If we could just go to paragraph 82 of [your] statement, please, you say:

"It was clear that RBKC and the government failed us in their response. I hope nothing like this ever happens again. However, there needs to be plans in place which ensure a coordinated response which enables people have access to the support and services they need. Families should be treated with dignity.”

You have just touched on this, but if there’s anything else you would like to add, what lessons do you feel need to be learned from the experience that you and your family had in the immediate aftermath?

Hanan Wahabi: I've actually written some words to answer this question, because I... I mean, thank you for allowing me to take my time to respond to the questions today, that has helped, but part of my PTSD is I do kind of get tongue-twisted sometimes, the simplest of vocabulary just, you know, go. So I wanted to prepare something that I feel comfortable reading, and I’ve got that with me today to answer this question.

So the last time I was asked that question, I implored Sir Martin to ensure there was change. I want to thank you and the entire Inquiry team for the work you are doing to expose the truth about the failings that led to 72 preventable deaths, including that of my dear brother, Abdulaziz, his wife, Faouzia, and the beloved children, Yasin, Nur Huda and Mehdi.

There are some things I'd like to say that go beyond my statements and, to some extent, also beyond the scope of the Inquiry. These are not only addressed to you, but to everybody working in housing, the built environment, local and central government.

First, to the community, volunteers, charities, and religious groups who rushed to our aid from all over the country and the world, who were present and supported us in the best way they could, words can never express my gratitude. Thank you for everything you did and continue to do.

I know the authorities, be they local or central government, may feel that they have contributed to the support during the aftermath. For me personally and my family, this is far from the truth. No one from government looked for us. No one helped us. We were left exposed and vulnerable, and when the authorities eventually did come, it felt like a tick-box exercise. We were treated like numbers, not humans. This is something that we still feel today.

In my experience, in the eyes of local and central government, our Grenfell and North Kensington community are second class, the people with needs and problems. I cannot help but feel that had our community lived in a different part of the borough, on the more affluent side, had we been from a different class, had we been less ethnic, the response in the aftermath would have been immediate. It would have been present. It would have been felt.

We may be different, we may be diverse, but we are people. Think of the different professions in the tower, of the challenges that so many from the BAME communities had overcome prior to the fire in 2017. Think of the dignity demonstrated by those of us impacted over the last five years. We are human beings. We contribute. We pay tax. We provide leadership in our communities. In truth, our differences and diversity are a contribution to the borough and the country.

Some people think about the aftermath as straight after the fire, but the aftermath continues today, five years later. The aftermath will last for years to come, and the impact will be generational. You cannot imagine what it is like having no one there to help you, to give you any glimpse or bit of information, anything, any strings to hold onto. When you don’t know what’s happened to your loved ones, it’s torture. We experienced torture. The aftermath was torture. It was physically and mentally torturing.

The Prime Minister promised that we’ll be housed in three weeks. Four of us, including my 16-year-old son and 8-year-old daughter, were moved into one hotel room, a room I remained in for 18 months. Four individuals who were survivors and bereaved. Can you imagine the PTSD, the impact it had on us as a family? And that is just me. Imagine what it is like for all other families, bereaved, survivors. Imagine what it is like for my mum. She lost her son, her grandchildren, her daughter-in-law. No one checked on her. No one asked about her.

And I ought to say something about the children. They are the most forgotten. Even those who had parents who had lived, in the aftermath of the fire, the children experienced life as if they were orphans. We weren't and couldn’t be there for our children. We couldn't even be there for us.

My body has never experienced so much pain since 14 June 2017. Physical, internal and emotional pain. Life isn’t easy anymore. Life is a challenge. Fear is constant. Nightmares never go. Inner peace is what we yearn for. Even when we feel like it's going to be okay, it’s just a matter of time that a memory, a thought, a feeling, an experience will interrupt that, and then we’re back there again, like it's happening all over again.

You may see us smiling at times, you may see children laughing, but that is just the part that avoids and masks. This tragedy has pierced wounds in each and every one of us in ways that one cannot imagine. We may now and again put plasters to hide our wounds, but they are still there, and sometimes, many times, those plasters fall off.

To this day, the support that we are given is only provided after jumping through hoops, whether it’s fighting to get house repairs done or get the medical support we need. We are forever asked to prove that we have been impacted, forever having to prove our pain. We are constantly having the impact assessed and measured to prove that we need mental or physical therapy, to prove we are still in pain.

Is it not enough that we walked out of the building and had to watch my family, my brother and his family die? We still need support. Our children need support. Local and central government cannot be allowed to abandon us, to wash their hands of us, when they think they have done enough. What happened to us was through their failings. Our loss, our pain, our wounds are because of them.

This duty of care needs to extend beyond us to the rest of the country, to the thousands of families who live in communities like us, like we had at Grenfell, who are still treated as second-class citizens. It needs to extend to the thousands impacted by the building safety crisis up and down the country.

We are still impacted. We still hurt. We still remember. We haven’t forgotten. All the issues we have, the PTSD, the mental and physical trauma that you see as problems in us, this isn’t who we were; this is who some of us are now because of what the government did to us. Because of your absence, because you were not there, because you did not show that you cared, you have sapped all the energy from us. Those that caused this tragedy need to be held accountable. Their duty of care to us now has no limit.

Thank you.

Starting Tuesday next week evidence from two former senior RBKC officers, Sue Redmond, director of adult social care, and Laura Johnson, director of housing. Then Nicholas Holgate, RBKC's former Town Clerk (chief executive) who took overall charge of it's response to the fire.

That is a heartbreaking read

Thank you.

What a devastating statement.

She writes so beautifully, it's horrific to imagine what she has been through. And she is just one of many hundreds of people still suffering after Grenfell.

Grenfell Tower Inquiry diary week 74: ‘Do you agree that RBKC was ill-prepared and incapable to meet its duties’

Here are the daily reports. Links should be working.

Next week: on Monday Teresa Brown the former head of housing for the 'TMO'. On Tuesday morning Robert Black it's former CEO. Then evidence from people running three of the rest centres which opened after the fire and from the British Red Cross. On Thursday John Hethrington the deputy head of London Resilience at the time of the fire.

Grenfell Tower Inquiry diary week 75: ‘It still shocks me to the core that that’s how we treat our citizens in this country’

Here are the daily reports.

Next week: On Monday John Hetherington of London Resilience completes his evidence. Then Mark Sawyer and John Barradell of London Local Authority Gold. Barradell, the CEO of the City of London took charge of the post-fire response when RBKC finally accepted that they could not cope. He is followed on Wednesday by Emma Spragg of the British Red Cross. And then Katharine Hammond of the Cabinet Office.

Government rejects Grenfell Inquiry recommendations on evacuation of buildings as ‘not proportionate’ - Inside Housing

The government has announced it will not implement critical recommendations of the Grenfell Tower Inquiry which called for legal obligations to plan for the evacuation of high-rise buildings and disabled residents in the event of a serious fire. In a consultation document published today, the Home Office said it does not believe it is “proportionate” to follow the recommendations and will continue to place its faith in ‘stay put’ advice in most buildings. Instead, it is launching a new consultation on sharing the location of disabled residents with fire services, but will only apply this to buildings known to have serious fire safety issues. (...)

While it was rarely enforced, pre-Grenfell law and guidance was clear that all residents must be able to evacuate a building unaided, with only a 2011 guide published by the Local Government Association on “purpose built blocks of flats” suggesting this was unnecessary for disabled residents in general needs blocks of flats.

This means that today’s consultation effectively proposes a watering down of the pre-Grenfell legal position.

Grenfell United's response:

yMVpKK4.png

Twitter thread link

For five years we’ve had to endure Government’s games. We’ve been forced to hold them to account to create a legacy of meaningful change for our loved ones. To prevent another Grenfell.

Today’s news has left us speechless. Outraged.

72 people died at Grenfell. 15 people had disabilities. They had no personal evacuation plans and no means of escape. Our loved ones did not stand a chance.

Government failed them in every way.

The report from Phase 1 of the Grenfell Inquiry was published in 2019. It concluded that the Government must drop its reliance on stay put and provide personal evacuation plans for disabled residents.

Today - three years on - the Government has announced it will not implement this core recommendation. They have decided that cutting costs is more important than the value of human life.

We will not let this be brushed under the carpet.

Please respond to Govt’s report stating your disapproval.

Email:
FireSafetyUnitconsultations@homeoffice.gov.uk

Write a letter to:
Fire Safety Unit
Home Office
2 Marsham Street
Peel Building London
SW1P 4DF

Twitter thread by Inside Housing's Peter Apps who has read the Home Office 'consultation' document.

FK8r6yN.png

Twitter thread link

Here's the thread archived as a web page.

dQ9mwzD.png

Announcing the publication of this 'consultation' in the House of Lords on the 4th April (Hansard link), 'Building Safety Minister' Lord Greenhalgh said (my emphases)

On practicality, how can you evacuate a mobility-impaired person from a tall building before the professionals from the fire and rescue service arrive? On proportionality, how much is it reasonable to spend to do this at the same time as we seek to protect residents and taxpayers from excessive costs? On safety, how can you ensure that an evacuation of mobility-impaired people is carried out in a way that does not hinder others in evacuating or the fire and service in fighting the fire?

Grenfell United's response:

yMVpKK4.png

Twitter thread link

Yet, surprise, surprise, they have the funds - an estimated £12 billion upwards - to refurbish another property in London. Namely, the Houses of Parliament.

This a not only a sickening betrayal towards those who died and those who were affected by this tragedy, but it is also just another example of how truly callous and contemptuous this government is. They sink lower and lower with each passing day.

Back
Top Bottom