Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Grenfell Tower fire in North Kensington - news and discussion

It's monstrous. Shut up and do what we say we know best - in both the fire and the now 'reaction' to it. No one else's voice is heard or considered legitimate. People can't put up with this.
the sudden concern now arses need covering with a healthy dollop of 'for your own good'. Ties into those shits ids and rees mogg looking to tear it all down for the land the same way decent housing was 'slum cleared' to make way for these tower blocks

That would explain her enthusiasm for firm paternal secular leadership

dixon1.jpg

Corbyn all the way!

the sudden concern now arses need covering with a healthy dollop of 'for your own good'. Ties into those shits ids and rees mogg looking to tear it all down for the land the same way decent housing was 'slum cleared' to make way for these tower blocks

Nothing to do with random religious nutters setting the buildings on fire in the dead of night because a load of immigrants might live there?

Shut up Dandred! :(

Meanwhile...

Two board members of the housing charity Shelter, including its chairman Sir Derek Myers, have resigned amid reports of internal disquiet over the organisation’s allegedly muted response to the Grenfell Tower fire.

Myers is a former chief executive of Kensington and Chelsea council, which owns Grenfell Tower, while trustee Tony Rice is chairman of Xerxes Equity, the sole shareholder in Omnis Exteriors – the company that sold the cladding used in the tower.

Two Shelter board members quit after Grenfell Tower fire

Shut up Dandred! :(

Meanwhile...

Two board members of the housing charity Shelter, including its chairman Sir Derek Myers, have resigned amid reports of internal disquiet over the organisation’s allegedly muted response to the Grenfell Tower fire.

Myers is a former chief executive of Kensington and Chelsea council, which owns Grenfell Tower, while trustee Tony Rice is chairman of Xerxes Equity, the sole shareholder in Omnis Exteriors – the company that sold the cladding used in the tower.

Two Shelter board members quit after Grenfell Tower fire
There are few charities as establishment as Shelter. I can't say I'm really surprised at the links. Good that they're going, but Shelter will still feel the need to be very cosy with government, which often mutes their response to things anyway.

From reports it does appear that residents had not been made aware of this by signs on communal spaces. Whether they were notified in other ways have to see when inquiry starts.

Some of the big office blocks I go to have regular fire drills. ( They are comparable in size to big blocks of flats) . People have to do it as they are employees. Business recognise that putting up signs is not enough. It's like the lecture you get before a plane takes off. No one takes much notice.

If the stay put policy is to be dropped then fire drills would be needed in tower blocks. To ensure and give people practice in what to do. Good in practice but would people do it?

I go into a lot of private flats and see little info in what to do in event of fire. Except on main notice board. I do see exit clearly marked. But in a panic people might not follow it.

We had a fire drill where I live yesterday (first in the six months I've been here, afaik - not sure often they would be without something like what happened at Grenfell to prompt one). I stayed put, like the laminated sign in my room said to do (I was never given any other information when I moved in, just this). Then got told off for not evacuating with other residents as per building policy - no one could explain why I had a sign in my room saying the exact opposite, or where it had come from.

After so many years of human history, are you really surprised by nepotism?

No but I am frequently astonished by people like you being such inappropriate, irrelevant, time wasting, trolling arseholes. :(

Find a purpose, passions and interests ffs. This trolling shit is such a waste of your life. People are robbed of theirs each and everyday and yet you choose to waste yours in this way?

Not much on the power surges damaging electricals referred to by the action group before the fire has been talked about in the media. I don't get this, surely a connection to a fridge that blew up.

Could be of course. Not sure how recently the power surges were still being reported though?

31. :rolleyes: qualified.
Not defending Gould, but she has been a councillor for 7 years and was elected by the other Labour councillors to be their leader. She isn't a chief executive or anything.

What qualifications are you expecting local councillors to have? There are about 39 Labour councillors in Camden and probably not all of them can be arsed to do all the extra work that the leader is required to do. I don't know anything specifically about what goes on in Camden but AFAICS the biggest requirement is a tolerance for sitting through tons of endless meetings, reading vast amounts of paperwork, signing off on whatever the council officers were advising in the first place and then making bland statements pretending it was all down to your own brilliant decision making. Gould has 7 years practise of farting about on committes etc so she is probably as 'qualified' as any of them to do this.

No but I am frequently astonished by people like you being such inappropriate, irrelevant, time wasting, trolling arseholes. :(

Find a purpose, passions and interests ffs. This trolling shit is such a waste of your life. People are robbed of theirs each and everyday and yet you choose to waste yours in this way?

What, like posting stuff on an irreverent bulletin board?

The residents of Grenfell Tower were alarmed to discover smoke pouring from their electrical appliances in May 2013. Laptops, televisions, washing machines and fridges were damaged by an unexplained series of power surges that prompted the frightened occupants of the 24-storey tower in west London to descend on their estate office, demanding action and answers.
Gruan

When I read that I thought that was obviously what blew the fridge up but it doesn't appear to being discussed unless the whole block was rewired which I doubt.

Back
Top Bottom