Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Greek Parliamentary Election

Although I consider it somewhat premature, there are some signs that the next chapter will involve a government being formed, Syriza getting on with playing the role of opposition who can therefore stay true to their promises and beliefs by not having to deliver them, and for Germany/EU to give Greece a bit longer to implement the terms of the bailout etc.

Buying some more time likely especially attractive right now as politicians around Europe won't want their summer holidays interrupted ;)

Yes according to BBC Merkel has already offered an extension of the pay back time for the Greek debt. This was announced at about the time the polls were being added up. The European leaders are relieved that New Dawn got the most votes so there is no likelyhood of Greece pulling out of the EU.

There is going to be a horrible coalition government formed between New Dawn Democracy (sorry) and Pasok with Syriza who got the second highest votes refusing flat out to have anything to do with it. The election hasn't resolved any problems for the Greeks but left the EU fairly happy that they can carry on business as before.

Good result for Syriza I reckon they'll be happy with that, probably more so than winning and taking the poison chalice. Now they can increase their strength in opposition waiting for the inevitable next election(s)

Yes according to BBC Merkel has already offered an extension of the pay back time for the Greek debt. This was announced at about the time the polls were being added up. The European leaders are relieved that New Dawn got the most votes so there is no likelyhood of Greece pulling out of the EU.

There is going to be a horrible coalition government formed between New Dawn and Pasok with Syriza who got the second highest votes refusing flat out to have anything to do with it. The election hasn't resolved any problems for the Greeks but left the EU fairly happy that they can carry on business as before.
New Democracy haven't united with Golden Dawn yet.

Is that halving of the KKE vote going to stay that way or is it another thing with the rural vote coming in earlier? Smallest party listed as it stands.
We're up to 80% votes in now - looks like it's going to Syriza or staying home - about 62% turnout.

I especially dislike this sort of bullshit headline.

600658039.jpg

Extraordinarily Right ideological coverage of the Greek Result on the BBC just now ( no surprise there then). You'd think that New Democracy had won about 80% of the total vote, and ordinary Greeks were handing themselves voluntarily into organ banks for processing on behalf of the Greek national debt, from the exultant welcome from the (politically neutral of course) BEEB reports !

I can't see how this result really aids the Eurozone to implement the austerity programme for the bankers , even if ND and Pasok cobble together some sort of government -- Greek popular resistance is now too strong and will grow stronger. Meanwhile its now being admitted in some quarters that before long even Italy will need a bail out . This crisis has got a LONG way to run yet. As I've said before, I think Syriza are fortunate NOT to have the possibility of government at this stage of the crisis.

Extraordinarily Right ideological coverage of the Greek Result on the BBC just now ( no surprise there then). You'd think that New Democracy had won about 80% of the total vote, and ordinary Greeks were handing themselves voluntarily into organ banks for processing on behalf of the Greek national debt, from the exultant welcome from the (politically neutral of course) BEEB reports !

I can't see how this result really aids the Eurozone to implement the austerity programme for the bankers , even if ND and Pasok cobble together some sort of government -- Greek popular resistance is now too strong and will grow stronger. Meanwhile its now being admitted in some quarters that before long even Italy will need a bail out . This crisis has got a LONG way to run yet. As I've said before, I think Syriza are fortunate NOT to have the possibility of government at this stage of the crisis.

You shouldn't be surprised by the BBC but still am for some reason - spotted similar one-eyed shite in the Teofilio Stevenson obit stuff, re-fighting the cold war over the bones of a good man.

Uh capitalist imperialist propogada "If you don't vote for us we will introduce military junta". Yea sucks capitalism.

yeah, at a guess, left-wing voters decided they wanted SYRIZA to win the election if possible.

Yes. There was a polarisation, with SYRIZA squeezing the other parties of the left and ND squeezing the parties of the right. The two smaller parties which bucked the trend were Golden Dawn and the Democratic Left, both of which more or less got the same vote as last time.

PASOK will attempt to kill Syriza being refusing to be a in coalition with ND unless Syriza involved. Syriza will say go away. New elections.

This is distinctly possible, you are right. The preferred option of both ND and particularly PASOK will be to drag SYRIZA into a pro-memorandum coalition, effectively destroying SYRIZA in the process. There was a huge amount of pressure put on SYRIZA to do this a few weeks ago, by the media and even by one of the employer's federation and it may be even more intense this time.

However, ND and PASOK seem to have the numbers this time without Democratic Left, who were even more insistent that SYRIZA had to join a coalition before they would join. And therefore, while things could well go as you suggest, I suspect that ultimately PASOK themselves will come under unbearable pressure to be "responsible" and will probably go in with ND without SYRIZA.

So how long do you give it before the new government collapses? I reckon 18 months if the economy continues to tank (which it will).

So how long do you give it before the new government collapses? I reckon 18 months if the economy continues to tank (which it will).
Well, maybe a year at the most. All the business press I've read says this "stabilizes things for the short term......." Greece will probably continue to go from one upheaval to another. But I think it will pay it's bills........in euros. They going back to,the Drachma? No, I don't think so.

Golden Dawn vote seems pretty solid now. I think a lot of non-greek commentators simply didn't understand that their personal shock at them and their behaviour and beliefs is old news in Greece - and that people who voted for them last time round wanted, actively wanted GD MPs to be publicly attacking Communists. That shit is why they picked up that vote. Very few mainstream commentators even come close to understanding the psychology of fascism or the psychology of being under pressure the way that many greeks are under austerity - or the long running political traditions of a still sizable part of the population.

I reckon that this new election will not fix anything for very long at all.

You cannot borrow your way out of all this debt.

I wish all these politicians would just give up trying to fix what cannot be fixed and let the banks go down the tubes, then we could start again with new ones, having ditched all the debts of the old ones when they went bust.

Giles..

Golden Dawn vote seems pretty solid now. I think a lot of non-greek commentators simply didn't understand that their personal shock at them and their behaviour and beliefs is old news in Greece - and that people who voted for them last time round wanted, actively wanted GD MPs to be publicly attacking Communists. That shit is why they picked up that vote. Very few mainstream commentators even come close to understanding the psychology of fascism or the psychology of being under pressure the way that many greeks are under austerity - or the long running political traditions of a still sizable part of the population.

yep. they don't seem to get it at all.

Is there any statistics showing the breakdown of demographics, income, region, etc of the fash vote over there butchers?

Back
Top Bottom