Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Glastonbury 2011

:D

But coises to you for reminding me that I really must now unpack my bag and do some washing when I was quite comfortably ignoring it :mad:

Dood, do it now! Unless it was packed when dry, you're going to have a whole lot of mould to get rid of too.

Cleverly I managed to get most of my dirty clothes soaked with water in a unfortunate tent open incident, followed by drying them out on the outside ropes on blissful Sunday. Not as mouldy as it could be. The boots will remain caked with mud until they're uncovered again in 2013.

So I've only the cloying mud to deal with. Three washes down and there's still more to do between us. And then it's things like bags and rucksacks, which all boast a fine crust of claying shit.

So I've only the cloying mud to deal with. Three washes down and there's still more to do between us. And then it's things like bags and rucksacks, which all boast a fine crust of claying shit.

michael-eavis-215x300.jpg

Loving all these post-match summaries folks - you should all be on the sofa with Laverne and Wiley. Or perhaps not...

Anyway, a lovely read.

Paul Simon – Negotiating endless chairs, picnic rugs & cool boxes for a deeply unmoving performance.

THE UGLY

And finally the poor sod who broke his leg near the Avalon Inn. I heard the crack & the scream and it was horrible!

The little fella had to go back to the tent during Paul Simon, I thought it had been less than I expected because I wasn't really paying attention, your comment makes me feel slightly better :D

As for the broken leg, that's made my stomach churn and I'm very glad I was no-where around. :(

Yeah my daughter went back and watched it again on Sunday and said it was much better. Didn't realise it had been rained off altogether on Friday. :(

No nor me, which makes me feel better about not trying - the little fella wanted to see Coldplay on Saturday & QOTSA on Sunday, so Friday evening was our only realistic chance to get round there and he chucked in the towel & went to bed early on Friday. (can't say I blame him, either tbh).

As for the broken leg, that's made my stomach churn and I'm very glad I was no-where around. :(

It was late Saturday night when I was on my way out of Arcadia. Sounded like a tree branch cracking but as soon as I heard the screaming I knew exactly what had happened even before a couple of guys came running past me yelling at security to get a medical team up there. :(

No nor me, which makes me feel better about not trying - the little fella wanted to see Coldplay on Saturday & QOTSA on Sunday, so Friday evening was our only realistic chance to get round there and he chucked in the towel & went to bed early on Friday. (can't say I blame him, either tbh).

My girl & her crew saw QOTSA but because everything closes down 30 minutes earlier on Sunday they still had time to get through the late night queuing system in time to watch the show at midnight. Worth remembering for next time.

I only saw the Friday show. Not over crowded but sill plenty of people. The rain made the lasers more sparkly.

Don't get me wrong, I had a grand old time on Friday/Sat morn in Arcadia - and yep, lasers and rain sure do make things sparkle - but there was no show to really speak of on Friday. Just a little more fire and some familiar tunes really. As much as I love that song Tarantula, spiders don't sodding sting - you may tell, but it's beginning to grate.

Sunday brought out the acrobats, vehicles and lightning, the full shaboodle. Sounds like it was on slightly more together than Saturday too.

One of my mates did the psychotherapy in the Decontamination Unit in Shangri La. Anyone go in and get naked and get some moral cleansing?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/blog/2011/jun/30/dirt-nudity-tears-glastonbury

The photographer mate helping me out went in for the opening... he said something along the lines of being a bit weird (but fun) being analysed in such an incongruous environment for a festival. All super clean white walls, and shrink people looking like, erm, shrink people. Very clever. Shangri-La are good at weird experiences that you don't expect and are a bit freaky.

It was late Saturday night when I was on my way out of Arcadia. Sounded like a tree branch cracking but as soon as I heard the screaming I knew exactly what had happened even before a couple of guys came running past me yelling at security to get a medical team up there. :(

My girl & her crew saw QOTSA but because everything closes down 30 minutes earlier on Sunday they still had time to get through the late night queuing system in time to watch the show at midnight. Worth remembering for next time.

It is. I'd planned an early exit on Monday morning tbh so was reluctant to go on Sunday anyway, plus the little fella was so tired it was making him ill by then. Had I known it was going to take us 3 hours to walk to the car on Monday morning, a further 2 hours to get out of the car park and 4 MORE hours to get up the 303 as far as Stonehenge (en route to London) I'd probably have taken him anyway and let us both have a lie-in on Monday morning. :(

TBF, as much as it deserved the new, bigger area, Arcadia looked more imposing in its old spot. And I missed the lightning men too - they may not have been as stylised and together with the rest of the performance, but their feats in channeling the lightning between them was more far more striking and immediate than the more distant generator on top of the spider. I only saw Sunday's show (Friday was understandably a wash out), but it was fine stuff indeed - some real excited shrieks from the newbies with us. Sound could be better arranged too, particularly as it seemed to get more bassy and audible away from the madness towards the centre of the stage.

Small beer really. Still happier there than about any other spot at Glastonbury. Shangri La's new Hub area was impressive, but was noticeably moody on the last day (full on punch up handbags with the bouncers and some of the front row, stage invasions etc) and Arcadia really seemed the liveliest and cheeriest place to be, more so in the bleakest conditions. Nothing like a wall of hot fire to make you forget the rain.

A review I agree with.

I'd also add, in Shangri-La's favour, that the vibe when they opened - in glorious sunshine, with a big line of security holding back a crowd who were doing a countdown - was marvellous. It took all of 10 minutes for the Hub to be full of the happiest faces I've seen in a long while at a festival. No name band with the grooviest of hoofing beats. Hands in the air massive.

And when Arcadia's half empty, it's nearest the vibe of a 'good old days' free party, of anywhere on site I think. No airs and graces, just come and dance.

I had a great time, first Glastonbury since 92/3.

Highlights.....

Great company
Great drugs
Warpaint at John Peel, an amazing live band, bass player not looking as hot with the blond hair mind.
Low Anthem at Avalon, thought they'd struggle against the background noise and bass from a nearby tent but they pulled through a great set, moving as ever....no Charlie Darwin for whoever asked earlier
King Kapisi at Magic Bubble, great NZ hiphop
QOTSA, fucking great stuff
Joe Driscoll, beatboxer at Chai Wallers
The earrae outfit in Strummerville with the mahoosive panpipes:cool:
Leon's veggie food, pretty sure I could eat that stuff every meal of the day everyday for the rest of my life
The great random people I met including some mad woman who took a shine to me but was too busy chaperoning her married friend who was having an affair with a married fella

Low points...

I feel like I need a new hip. Marching through the mud for 4 days.

Hit with a blinding cold the minute I walked into the house, aching and dizzy as fuck.

Fucking security....... who needs cops when you've an idiotic 20something in a hi viz with a badge threatening someone smoking a spliff outside in the open air that they'll "call response and have your tent searched and you thrown out of the site"

or the slimy fuckers who were preying on girls off their heads in the worker's camping area. Seedy cunts.

I would have done, was planning to in fact, but was told not to by the organisers/people in the know on the grounds it 'was a bit shit'.

I walked past it, twice.

Didn't know that it was anything other than an amusing atmospheric sound effect.

re arcadia 2010 vs arcadia 2011- the stellar leap they made with the new stage in 2010 would have been impossible to match a year later, especially with the obvious need to satisfy yet more punters. i reckon they did it pretty damn well even if it was a little diluted compared to previous years. i reckon a proper 360 degree soundsystem with their stage set up for full 360 degree mayhem is the way forward for them...

I just read the last post in this as being made by Beyonce

I was hoping to come in here and find a massive bunfight with a world famous glastonbury headliner :(

I had a great time, first Glastonbury since 92/3.

Highlights.....

Great company
Great drugs
Warpaint at John Peel, an amazing live band, bass player not looking as hot with the blond hair mind.
Low Anthem at Avalon, thought they'd struggle against the background noise and bass from a nearby tent but they pulled through a great set, moving as ever....no Charlie Darwin for whoever asked earlier
King Kapisi at Magic Bubble, great NZ hiphop
QOTSA, fucking great stuff
Joe Driscoll, beatboxer at Chai Wallers
The earrae outfit in Strummerville with the mahoosive panpipes:cool:
Leon's veggie food, pretty sure I could eat that stuff every meal of the day everyday for the rest of my life
The great random people I met including some mad woman who took a shine to me but was too busy chaperoning her married friend who was having an affair with a married fella

Low points...

I feel like I need a new hip. Marching through the mud for 4 days.

Hit with a blinding cold the minute I walked into the house, aching and dizzy as fuck.

Fucking security....... who needs cops when you've an idiotic 20something in a hi viz with a badge threatening someone smoking a spliff outside in the open air that they'll "call response and have your tent searched and you thrown out of the site"

or the slimy fuckers who were preying on girls off their heads in the worker's camping area. Seedy cunts.

I'd forgotten about Aaron, bless him. I had such a great festival. Had almost convinced myself that it wasn't that great because I was so knackered on the last day (crept into the cinema for some respite from the blazing sun and fell asleep) but yeah, it was awesome.

Marching up the railway line at 5am to Block 9, hearing Dawn Penn's No No No playing in a little tent (Lizard Cafe?) on the way, going in, having a pipe with that couple then marching on. That was just a 10 minute memory but I have so many of them from this year. So good.

Wow, fine points in those memories....now you've got me trying to remember smoking with a couple:hmm:

Aaron, yeah that was him, never got my free pasta though :D.

Great times:cool:

I find it funny that people complain about who's playing on all the big stages.
I've been to Glastonbury many times and rarely caught more than a few bands. There's so much else to do. That's the glory of the festival. Anyone who moans about who's playing needs to get a life really. I know it's "cool" to say everything's shit, but if you don't like it, go see something else.

I find it funny that people complain about who's playing on all the big stages.
I've been to Glastonbury many times and rarely caught more than a few bands. There's so much else to do. That's the glory of the festival. Anyone who moans about who's playing needs to get a life really. I know it's "cool" to say everything's shit, but if you don't like it, go see something else.

Sort of see your point, but acts on the larger stages are important to a fair few of us as well as all the huge amount of the rest. In my review, I was definitely one who was sorry to miss some of the larger-stage acts, andd appreciative of some of the others, but that doesn't mean I can't fully understand your point about getting a lot out of everything else. In all the years I've been posting here about Glastonbury, and in all the years I've been going (lots!) I've always pushed the 'vibe not lineup' thing. But at the same time I was really sorry to miss Duane Eddy and Morrissey (for eg) this year, as well.

Overall though, my Glastonbury life was mostly fine this year -- far more positives than negatives :) :cool:

Back
Top Bottom