Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Glastonbury 2007 pt1: the build-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I refuse to believe what the BBC forecast says – they get it wrong all the time. They frequently predict heavy rain for the day ahead, then it's nothing but clouds and sunshine :mad:

Skim said:
I refuse to believe what the BBC forecast says – they get it wrong all the time. They frequently predict heavy rain for the day ahead, then it's nothing but clouds and sunshine :mad:
Absolutely

The bbc forecast has always been completely unreliable

All cloudy and grey in Bris. No rain though.

Off to work for the last time in ten days now

One more sleep :D

view3.jpg

Still... it's not looking great :(

But I do have waterproofs. And cider. I laugh at rain :mad:

Skim said:

You'd better wait til my other links then ... :eek: :eek:

I wish I could refuse to believe the BBC ... :eek:

firky said:
K At Glastonbury.... I'd rather just throw all my stuff in the mud and invite people to finger my arse.

and the problem there is what? fucksake, i'm on holiday, i want to throw all my stuff in my arse and invite people to finger the mud.

bluestreak said:
what a waste. all that beautiful sound potential for jamiroquai. fucking tragic.
Why oh why can't some superhero soundman engineer the rigs to turn inwards mid set and then deliver a devastating sonic blast to send Jamiroquai into an long, elliptical orbit around Pluto?

Skim said:
So how did Camp Urban fare with the floods last time? Did that field get affected?
No damage at all. Me andsparra woke up in the morning "did you hear the rain last night?" "yeah, sounded pretty heavy" "hope it's not too wet out there, right let's get on" - we only found out about the cataclysm once we wandered off for a bit.

Crispy said:
No damage at all. Me andsparra woke up in the morning "did you hear the rain last night?" "yeah, sounded pretty heavy" "hope it's not too wet out there, right let's get on" - we only found out about the cataclysm once we wandered off for a bit.
Were you in the dragon field crispeh?

Skim said:
So how did Camp Urban fare with the floods last time? Did that field get affected?
it was fine, esp if you can put a tent up properly and understand what guyropes are for :)

Agreed. Even the crappiest tent will weather the storm if it's pitched well and nothing's pressing up against the outer layer from inside.

Crispy said:
No damage at all

*wipes brow and crosses fingers*

The forecast, should I choose to believe it, is a tad disappointing, but I am determined not to let it get in the way of a good time :cool:

Don't like weather chat? MOVE ALONG, nothing to see!

We've got a mudbath and we're going to use it. :p

Your cheery Monday update (and final one from me!) of the forecasts -- with scary links in full XXX-rated arama! :D

JACKONE's latest update to his Glasto weathergeek blog on the forums at Netweather.tv provides little scope for much optimism at all except perhaps right near the end of the fest, and this guy's a professional.

Glasto weather blog said:
Summary

We are now in the reliable timeframe certainly for most of the festival, two wet days seem very likely for Wednesday and Thursday, whether in the form of frontal rain or heavy showers. Friday still has a quite a lot of uncertainty, with some wet weather possible, in terms of frontal rain, showers possibly including thunderstorms. Saturday looks like bring a day of sunshine and some sharp showers, with Sunday being the best day, with sunshine and mainly isolated showers.

The ensembles confirm the chance of some heavy rain at the start of the festival, before showing a picture of the weather gradually drying up for the weekend.

Full version of blog, with synoptic charts and confusing acronyms and shit, here

BBC Monthly forecast, just updated this morning

BBC said:
Monday 18 June 2007 to Sunday 24 June 2007

“Remaining unsettled with the possibility of some further heavy downpours”

Low pressure will be the driving force for the UK's weather throughout the week ahead - keeping us on distinctly unsettled footing.

England and Wales stand in line for further heavy and thundery rain almost daily. The best chance of a fine day is Friday! The air will remain humid, so when the sun comes out temperatures will climb quickly and reach the low twenties Celsius. However, in the showers they will fall sharply and with blustery winds it may even feel a little chilly.

Scotland and Northern Ireland should escape the worst of the rain Monday - but the remainder of the week looks very wet here with bands of rain and showers sweeping through from the south. Friday may bring something a little drier. Temperatures will be around average - reaching the mid to high teens.

After a couple of frosty nights for northern Scotland last week temperatures will barely fall below double figures overnight for any area of the UK in coming week.

Metcheck overall forecast for the week for the UK, just updated

Metcheck said:
The new week will start with low pressure approaching from the South-west, an area of low pressure that will remain with us for the rest of the week.

A band of rain, which may be heavy, will progress Northwards through the day. Showers following on behind, some of which could be heavy and thundery across the South.

There will be a persistent risk of heavy showers or longer spells of rain during Tuesday and Wednesday for many Southern and especially Western parts of the country. Some further thunderstorm activity is possible. Eastern parts, while still expected to see some rain, should see the driest weather overall.

At the moment, the end of the week will see a mixture of sunshine and heavy showers, with a further risk of thunderstorms as the low pressure sits directly over the UK.

So unfortunately, Summer is well and truly on hold for the time being and if your planning on going to the Glastonbury festival later in the week, we recommend you take more than just a brolly!

Metcheck forecast for Glastonbury, Monday to Wednesday

and

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

(Metcheck are a bit ramdom in my experience, their forecasts are based entirely on computer projections with (unlike Netweather) no human intervention. Personally I think they overestimate the quantity of rain for later and underestimate it for earlier, but we'll see.

Those links may keep changing, you might have to play with the settings a tad.

uk.weather.com's forecast for Glastonbury for the coming week

Accuweather (US based site, their team includes the marvellously named Joe Bastardi!!)

Days 1 to 6, Pilton

Days 6-10, Pilton

That's enough doom and gloom!

Our fate is sealed now probably ...

:eek:

sojourner said:
The bbc forecast has always been completely unreliable

Actually, their last 5 days forcast for here (Zurich) has been bang on. :(

Oh well, I just got some nice new waterproofs...

paolo999 said:
If you're going to be strictly accurate, you should of course use Shepton Mallet... Not that it changes that forecast one single bit, but I feel some smug satisfaction being more technically correct than William on a weather issue :)

Geography issue, not weather issue. Not that that makes me, or the forecast, look any better ... :oops:

Norwegian proverb:

"There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing."

Which reminds me I have to go and buy a poncho from that rude bloke in Walworth this afternoon :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom