Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Glastonbury 2007 pt1: the build-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dubversion said:
i dunno, i'd rather see GB on a smaller stage - not possible i know - because the main stage really lacks atmosphere for bands like that
mostly agree and regret that it means we won't get one of their 30minute long unrelenting encores

but that's why i want to see what they can do with that size a crowd in the middle of the afternoon.

Stig - I very much doubt it will be a problem to be drunk enough :)

by the way i have no idea who most of these bands are and of course, it doesn't really matter...

but any recommendations of bands who are fantastic live would be appreciated

ta!

Excellent lineup all round really ...

Spent over half an hour in the cafe this morning poring over that lineup in the Guardian.

Loads of cool shit and not too many bad clashes that I noticed.

I'm going to end up with a pretty long 'wants' lists, but for now I'm too busy preparing for the festival ...** ahem ... well sort of preparing ... :D

**Strawberry Fair .... :p

Oh, and I got an email this morning from Seetickets saying they'd dispatched my ticket ... :cool: :)

onemonkey said:
by the way i have no idea who most of these bands are and of course, it doesn't really matter...

but any recommendations of bands who are fantastic live would be appreciated

ta!

OK - Arcade Fire are a no-brainer, as are Broken Family Band. Tinariwen have a legendary rep as the drone-rock kings of the Sahara. Damien marley is apparently pretty good live. iration Steppas will fucking rock, Bong Ra is daft, the Earlies will be a gorgeous way to wake up, Surgeon is the finest techno DJ in the world, Kitty Daisy & Lewis are teen-a-billy sensations, Iggy's worth seeing if you haven't already, I'm intrigued by Bellowhead - a kind of folk big band, CSS apparently give good show..

there's some starters :)

Dubversion said:
OK - Arcade Fire are a no-brainer, as are Broken Family Band. Tinariwen have a legendary rep as the drone-rock kings of the Sahara. Damien marley is apparently pretty good live. iration Steppas will fucking rock, Bong Ra is daft, the Earlies will be a gorgeous way to wake up, Surgeon is the finest techno DJ in the world, Kitty Daisy & Lewis are teen-a-billy sensations, Iggy's worth seeing if you haven't already, I'm intrigued by Bellowhead - a kind of folk big band, CSS apparently give good show..

there's some starters :)

Most of those appeal -- I really want to see what Arcade Fire are all about ...

Never seen Iggy so I'm along for him for definite ...

William of Walworth said:

Me too for both of those William :)

Iration Steppas and Mad Professor - will try to make both of those, and having heard Kitty Daisy and Lewis on Mark Lamarrs show a while back, I'm deffo going to see them :cool:

onemonkey said:
mostly agree and regret that it means we won't get one of their 30minute long unrelenting encores
QUOTE]

No! GB's unrelenting encores are brilliant :(

I had the pleasure of moshing to one on Wednesday night. I was next to Phil Jupitus in the pit for a bit at the end and he clearly couldn't keep up and stumbled out dripping with sweat towards the bar :D

They need to be in a tent, seeing them close the 2nd stage tent at Sziget last year was one of the best gigs of my life.

none of it appeals much . . . but then thats fairly normal.

usually i at least recognise the people who are playing the main stage, but what is Seasick Steve?

Seasick Steve is great. An old grizzled american itinerarent ex-con blues artist who ended up running a studio producing lots of Sub Pop bands before moving to Sweden. Now makes really basic, brilliant blues on a two-string guitar. real character, well worth seeing

Good job I don't go for the lineup ;)

JazzWorld (where I normally reside for the duration) headliners are appalling! :mad:

Oh, it's OK. Bellowhead will save me from the horrors of Corinne.

So where is this G Stage? I can't see it on the fine guide.

That line-up is making my head hurt. I'll spend the next three weeks researching what I want to see, then get there and fail to see any of it, instead spending the whole weekend dribbling in a heap next to a burger van.

:cool:

Dubversion said:
Seasick Steve is great. An old grizzled american itinerarent ex-con blues artist who ended up running a studio producing lots of Sub Pop bands before moving to Sweden. Now makes really basic, brilliant blues on a two-string guitar. real character, well worth seeing
Yep yep - I'm gonna go see him too

Shit, I'm getting realllllly excited now - printed off the line up and was squealing about it with me girl :D :D She nearly fainted with happiness when she saw KT Tunstall was playing :D

Skim said:
I'll spend the next three weeks researching what I want to see, then get there and fail to see any of it, instead spending the whole weekend dribbling in a heap next to a burger van.

:cool:
Hehe - I won't

I'm planning a nice sit down with a cup of tea tomorrow and circling all the stuff I wanna see, then will have to sort them in order of priority :cool:

Skim said:
So where is this G Stage?
Part of the dance village.

I'm delighted to see Eric Faulkner of the Bay City Rollers is playing - might have to get me tartan trousers out :D

Not if the Guardians times are right but every other day has 10 acts sunday only 9, although it finishes an hour earlier. Dunno maybe the Marleys will just get an extra half hour.

William of Walworth said:

I usually avoid the main stage like the plague but this year most tings I want to see are there....fuck, must be getting old:rolleyes: .
Arcade Fire, Killers, Marc Ronson, Magic Numbers plus loads of world class acts playing on the smaller satges like Eat Static, Tinariwen and Mad Professor.:)

editor said:
It's going to be Shirley all the way for me. She rocks!
:confused: Didnt think you were going? :confused:

I have again gone through the list and seen who I would like to catch, but I will probably miss most of them as usual! :rolleyes: I get fed up with the traipsing and missing half of some sets because I need to get somewhere else.

But, my list Absolute musts in blacker -

The Fratellis
Bloc Party
The Magic Numbers
Amy Winehouse
Gogol Bordello

Paulo Nutini
Lily Allen
Dame Shirley Bassey
Marley Brothers Present The 30th Anniversary Of Exodus
Arcade Fire
Reverend and the Makers
The Go! Team
Get Cape Wear Cape Fly
Calvin Harris
Guillemots
Adam F
Mr Hudson and the Library
MIA
Willy Mason
Pendulum

Timo Maas
Radio 4 presents “4 in a Field”
Brendan Burns
Barry Cryer & Ronnie Golden
Jeff Green
Phil Kay
Phil Nichol
Marcus Brigstocke

Didnt see The Gossip in the line up??? Gutted no Yusuf Islam

:mad: and :D

Really? Cool. Cant see them on the official website. Did you get that from the Guardian guide?

Great way to round off the weekend for me :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom