Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Five-year-old April Jones kidnapped in Machynlleth, Mid-Wales

With reference to places forever being tainted by a terrible crime I think its inevitable when its a small, rarely mentioned town / village. When these sorts of crimes occur in the cities it doesn't stick in the memory, for instance I can't remember where Shipman committed his many crimes and I probably only remember about Fred West because my girlfriend comes from Gloucester. But place names like Soham and Hungerford stick in the memory.

Shipman committed his crimes in Hyde which is only a small place.

If he manages to commit suicide, I don't have a problem with that. I'm not advocating cruel and unusual punishment but I wouldn't mind it. I look at April's pics and I see my own young grand-daughters, a primal thing kicks in. Kill, crush, destroy, nothing must threaten them - there's no thought of discussion or peace-making. And that's a good thing, but I also agree with the rule of law.

So I hope he lives long and suffers. Because yes, children will be murdered...all of the time. But many are put off such thoughts when considering the punishment.

You can't stop it, but we can keep it down to the least possible, can't we?

I wonder if part of Mark Bridger's 'thinking' would understand and agree with some of the sadistic violence above.

". .. A primal thing kicks in... kill, crush, destroy, nothing must threaten them. You can't stop it ...many are put off such thoughts when considering the punishment."

Dexter, I suspect that you are somewhere else in the same spectrum.

I wonder if part of Mark Bridger's 'thinking' would understand and agree with some of the sadistic violence above.

. .. A primal thing kicks in... kill, crush, destroy, nothing must threaten them. You can't stop it ...many are put off such thoughts when considering the punishment.

Dexter, I suspect that you are somewhere else in the same spectrum.

child rapist or sadist?

do tell

So I hope he lives long and suffers. Because yes, children will be murdered...all of the time. But many are put off such thoughts when considering the punishment.
Hmm...I really doubt if anyone sick and vile enough to murder a little girl is at all deterred by the likely punishment if caught. Their minds simply don't focus that way.

I look at April's pics and I see my own young grand-daughters, a primal thing kicks in. Kill, crush, destroy, nothing must threaten them - there's no thought of discussion or peace-making.

I don't know if we can blame "primal" for all things violent; it sounds like a vague "It's biological / glandular" excuse.

I look at April's pics and I see my own young grand-daughters, a primal thing kicks in. Kill, crush, destroy, nothing must threaten them
it may be primal with your own children, but it seems more like trying to be a big man when you say that about your grandchildren. nothing must threaten them? and how do you do that when you see them less frequently than you saw your own children when they were young? this is you posturing it's nothing primal.

Yeah, but why not start a thread about people being trapped in "poverty pockets" or whatever people call them rather than bringing it up on a thread that, with all due respect, it has fuck all to do with?

Because as I mentioned earlier I do know the area and as soon as I saw the news reports of April's disappearance I realised she had been taken from a council estate there. It's not an area that many visitors to CAT will ever see unless they get lost. Those are my thoughts and they have as much validity as yours or anyone else posting on these bulletin boards.

Hmm...I really doubt if anyone sick and vile enough to murder a little girl is at all deterred by the likely punishment if caught. Their minds simply don't focus that way.
I don't think it's even that: I just don't think that the mindset that goes with sexually abusing/murdering a child and that that goes with considering the consequences of the act fit together in any way. Most of us wouldn't contemplate doing such a thing, mostly because it is completely repugnant to us, but - for some at least - because the thought of being caught and punished for it is intolerable. But the few - and it is only a few - who do go on to commit such deeds...well, I think they've closed off the part of their mind that would enable them to feel shame or fear at the consequences.

I don't honestly think the harshness of the punishment represents a significant deterrent for the kind of person who'd do this sort of thing - though it is there, of course, to serve other purposes, namely retribution and keeping someone like that out of society where he might do exactly the same thing again.

I find myself trying to figure out how people like this think - likewise with Stuart Hazell - and I simply can't. I am sure there must be a valid psychological explanation for the behaviours beyond "werl, they're just evil" (which seems a bit conveniently glib to me), but I don't really understand what it is. I expect someone's written a PhD thesis on it, if I could really be bothered to do some research... :)

Because as I mentioned earlier I do know the area and as soon as I saw the news reports of April's disappearance I realised she had been taken from a council estate there. It's not an area that many visitors to CAT will ever see unless they get lost.
I think it's pretty fucking disrespectful that you can choose to use the suffering of a community to make some kind of cheap class-based point.

There might be all kinds of reasons why people in "lower-class" parts of society might be more prone to having horrible things happen to them than those in more affluent areas (if that's even true - I don't know), but oversimplistic posturing, coupled, no doubt, with the inevitable mouthbreathing swearing and ranting that will come in response to posts like this, are nothing more than ideological jerking off over the issue.

Those are my thoughts and they have as much validity as yours or anyone else posting on these bulletin boards.
Ahem. Potentially, perhaps. In practice, their validity has quite a lot to do with how well you express them. On the current showing, my validity-o-meter is hovering somewhere between "fuck all" and "arsebiscuits".

Existentialist:
You say "I am sure there must be a valid psychological explanation for the behaviours beyond "werl, they're just evil" (which seems a bit conveniently glib to me), but I don't really understand what it is. I expect someone's written a PhD thesis on it, if I could really be bothered to do some research... :)"
http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/peter-aylward
Bugger. It's going to be churlish of me not to now go and read some of his stuff, isn't it? :D

It's his book, more than the Guardian piece.
51rSMey7XXL._SX342_.jpg

I think it's pretty fucking disrespectful that you can choose to use the suffering of a community to make some kind of cheap class-based point.

There might be all kinds of reasons why people in "lower-class" parts of society might be more prone to having horrible things happen to them than those in more affluent areas (if that's even true - I don't know), but oversimplistic posturing, coupled, no doubt, with the inevitable mouthbreathing swearing and ranting that will come in response to posts like this, are nothing more than ideological jerking off over the issue.

Ahem. Potentially, perhaps. In practice, their validity has quite a lot to do with how well you express them. On the current showing, my validity-o-meter is hovering somewhere between "fuck all" and "arsebiscuits".

You say lower class I say working class or proletariat. I find you disrespectful and you can shove all your stupid opinions right up your fucking arse.

You say lower class I say working class or proletariat. I find you disrespectful and you can shove all your stupid opinions right up your fucking arse.
Pah, semantics. You can take your political-baggage-laden labels and shove THEM where the sun doesn't shine, too - I am generally far more interested in people than posturing and labels. [ETA: I notice you conveniently omitted to note that my "lower class" label was in quotation marks - presumably acknowledging those would have restricted your ability to get all hot under your proletarian collar?]

And I'm certainly not interested in the opinions of someone who's so dogma-obsessed that no tragedy, however horrible, is beyond his desire to turn everything into his own pet hobbyhorse.

Oh, and I would have tried your suggestion, only I couldn't find any of my own opinions that I thought were stupid, and all of mine were in any case too big to fit up my own arse, despite it being not especially compact. Yours, on the other hand, fitted very nicely, and have given me a pleasant evening's farting posturing bluster around the place, in some cases causing the wallpaper to curl up and drop off. I suppose some thanks is due at least for that.

Do have a lovely evening, my proletarian little friend.

Out of curiosity do anorexicks buy food and let it rot/throw it away or do they 'save' money by not buying food?
I'm not really an expert on eating disorders (too close to home, perhaps), but anorexia covers a whole spectrum of behaviours, so there will be people who don't buy food, all the way through to those who cook an entire meal and then don't eat it.

I don't think it's even that: I just don't think that the mindset that goes with sexually abusing/murdering a child and that that goes with considering the consequences of the act fit together in any way. Most of us wouldn't contemplate doing such a thing, mostly because it is completely repugnant to us, but - for some at least - because the thought of being caught and punished for it is intolerable. But the few - and it is only a few - who do go on to commit such deeds...well, I think they've closed off the part of their mind that would enable them to feel shame or fear at the consequences.

I don't honestly think the harshness of the punishment represents a significant deterrent for the kind of person who'd do this sort of thing - though it is there, of course, to serve other purposes, namely retribution and keeping someone like that out of society where he might do exactly the same thing again.

I find myself trying to figure out how people like this think - likewise with Stuart Hazell - and I simply can't. I am sure there must be a valid psychological explanation for the behaviours beyond "werl, they're just evil" (which seems a bit conveniently glib to me), but I don't really understand what it is. I expect someone's written a PhD thesis on it, if I could really be bothered to do some research... :)
agreed entirely

Pah, semantics. You can take your political-baggage-laden labels and shove THEM where the sun doesn't shine, too - I am generally far more interested in people than posturing and labels. [ETA: I notice you conveniently omitted to note that my "lower class" label was in quotation marks - presumably acknowledging those would have restricted your ability to get all hot under your proletarian collar?]
And I'm certainly not interested in the opinions of someone who's so dogma-obsessed that no tragedy, however horrible, is beyond his desire to turn everything into his own pet hobbyhorse.

Oh, and I would have tried your suggestion, only I couldn't find any of my own opinions that I thought were stupid, and all of mine were in any case too big to fit up my own arse, despite it being not especially compact. Yours, on the other hand, fitted very nicely, and have given me a pleasant evening's farting posturing bluster around the place, in some cases causing the wallpaper to curl up and drop off. I suppose some thanks is due at least for that.

Do have a lovely evening, my proletarian little friend.

Don't ever think of me as your friend.

I'm tempted to buy it just to see how anorexia fits in with the title.
He presents one case where the patient, who had a complicated start in life, undergoes what might be seen as a long, drawn-out self-massacre. Some hospital staff and family are psychologially "massacred" by the experience.

Back
Top Bottom