Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Five-year-old April Jones kidnapped in Machynlleth, Mid-Wales

quite. and with brady it's clearly deliberate (or at least, imo). The whole character of Brady's crimes was about torturing people - holding all the power. Afaic he's got off on torturing those still desperate to bury their child, and he's been getting off on it for half a century now.

Perhaps i'm only recently coming to a conclusion that was evident to everyone else for ages but...

I think that when we hear of these crimes, we try to make sense of the horror if we can. make some empathetic leaps... so *if* i was a paedophile and *if* i acted on that and *if* it then went somehow wrong and i ended up killing the child (because the defence story plants that 'accidental death' seed in our mind)... that makes me bad and in need of punishment, but surely i'd also feel remorse and want to make things better for the families.

but i think that's where we go wrong. the whole point is that killing kids doesn't end up being something that even remotely comes close to happening to us... BECAUSE we are not like these men and women. People who get to that point are people who enjoy hurting people. who like making people suffer - it's intrinsic to their personalities because if it wasn't, they would have never have got close to committing one of these extreme crimes.

True.

Also true, but what is absolutely critical is that we guard against any tendency to distance ourselves from these people. Once we label them as "not human", or similar, we lose the ability to take any responsibility for what they get up to, and that's how they get away with things - it makes it easier for us to miss their abuses.

I'm not suggesting distancing ourselves from extreme cruelty; I'm suggesting looking it in the eye.

Missed this at the time.

I think we are compelled to try to make those empathic/imaginative leaps that spanglechick outlines exactly because the concept is so utterly alien to us. It's unimaginable, and so beyond our ken; so in order to try to make sense of it we try to make those leaps. It's the empathic person who makes that attempt, out of empathy. But of course anyone who's in the least bit empathic can't make the final step to actually acting any of it out.

But it works the other way around as well. I was thinking today that out of the hundreds of people who post here, statistically some of us are abusers. Would we recognise that in ourself? Or in each other? Knowing one another, however distantly, gives us an illusion of "knowing" how others in our own community might think, do, say, in any given circumstance.

the yurt of yuckiness?

I think that's in very poor taste.

As we all know, that nickname was given to Ruddy by his one-time collaborator jazz oboeist Rodolphus Jacques in June 1976, when they were attending the same clinic in Bruges to overcome the debilitating Fruit Pastilles addiction with which they both struggled for so many years. The speculation about what Jacques was referring to has often been prurient, but to bring it up here and encourage people to make some kind of association with a case like this is a new low.

the yurt of yuckiness?

fifetoday said:

The children and parents of Methilhill Community Children Initiative (MCCI) got together for a spooky spectacular at the weekend.

As well as the traditional Halloween celebrations, including dooking for apples and dangling doughnuts, there were spooky stories in the yucky yurt and a fundraising marquee full of stalls..

Sorry couldn't post link from my phone!

Back
Top Bottom