Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Five-year-old April Jones kidnapped in Machynlleth, Mid-Wales

I'm not convinced about the level of difference it makes. The issue is the enormous gulf between being menacing, intimidating, or persecutory, which is what the relevant legislation was designed to combat, and being offensive. Whether Woods emailed the joke to a few close friends, or posted it on Jones' facebook page, he caused nothing but offence.

If this is genuinely a correct interpretation of public morality - and I suppose that's all you can ask for from the law - then we lose any right to mock when bearded theocrats have tantrums because their silly little book is treated with disrespect. We are morally equivalent to mobs who burn cinemas because they disapprove of YouTube films. Outrage, indignation and upset feelings are assumed to demand restitution, and the difference is only a very slight one, of degree.

you bastard

rudolph.gif
Haha that really made me giggle

I hope they're going to bang up Frankie Boyle as well now:hmm:

That might be the kind of thing that needs to happen to take this silly law down. If someone reports him for one of his tweets, don't the police have to investigate it? I remember that from the John Terry thread as the off-duty copper watching it on telly was the one who started the police action against him.

I'm sure Frankie Boyle getting done for his 'jokes' would have the public up in arms enough; he's somehow the most popular comedian around :confused:

Yup, and no chance of a job for years, then a huge gap in employment history so maybe no job ever. Basically his life is over for a joke.

That's the worst part, I wouldn't go insofar as to say his life is over but it has made it much more difficult. He's still a young lad and huge gaps in employment history are sadly more and more common.

Excellent point. His jokes are totally disgusting!!
They might be but he ain't been arrested for them has he?
I think we're all on dodgy ground if they start locking people up for posting shite on the internet. What next? Jailed for talking shite when your pissed? Surely the banning of alcohol would be a better approach than making examples of people it has the most entertaining effect on.

Then again I suppose we need more cheap labour during a recession and there's nowt like prison labour for getting a job done on the cheap :)

Maybe they should just ban teh interwubz??

The thing that worries me most about these people getting done for offensive jokes is the total subjectivity of what is offensive to any given individual. Ok, so the april ones are pretty bad, but the muslim lad who got done for saying squaddies will go to hell? Arguably a political or religious point. Plenty of right wing shit on the net which I feel is pretty offensive, but I suppose is just some twats opinion. Who gets to draw the line?

Also, I assume that saying these things off the net is "ok", legally. No specific equivalent law, to my knowledge. Strange and unfair double standard.

Honestly one of the most worrying laws of recent time. If I could think of a sensible way to campaign against it, I would. I know we dont have "freedom of speech" in this country, but whilst laws curtailing it were selectively enforced it was easy to pretend. This goes horribly the other way.

What would the yanks say about such a law in their country? Theyd go fucking mental, pointing out their constitution etc. why do we not have such a freedom? Fucking shit state of affairs.

They might be but he ain't been arrested for them has he?
I think we're all on dodgy ground if they start locking people up for posting shite on the internet. What next? Jailed for talking shite when your pissed? Surely the banning of alcohol would be a better approach than making examples of people it has the most entertaining effect on.

Then again I suppose we need more cheap labour during a recession and there's nowt like prison labour for getting a job done on the cheap :)

Maybe they should just ban teh interwubz??

I agrer with your argument. If that boy got sent down for a joke.... Frank Boyle should be on a life sentence.

Back
Top Bottom