Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Five-year-old April Jones kidnapped in Machynlleth, Mid-Wales

I disagree. People deal with emotionally affecting events in different ways; some will make jokes almost straight away (and the Stammers thread had a fair few "rape lol" jokes while that still had an unknown outcome). I don't think legislating against - or using existing vaguely phrased legislation to criminalise - anyone making jokes in whatever definition of taste is defined as 'bad' this week is in anyone's interests.

It's not enough just to 'like' this. It's a point against which it seems impossible to argue.

A person is guilty of an offence if, for the purpose of causing annoyance to another, he persistently makes use of a public electronic communications network
Pretty much covers 90% of urban.

So you in fact agree with me that reporting bad taste jokes is a cunts trick? You seem to be sitting on the fence and covering your arse from both angles.
Yes, I agree with that bit. Not sitting on the fence, have expressed my opinion as clearly as I can.

my emphasis

Item (c) suggests to me that merely using public communications persistently is of itself an offence. That means that all regular posters on this or other forums are in breach of Section 127

No, Item C is a subset of (2)A person is guilty of an offence if, for the purpose of causing annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety to another, he—
persists etc etc ..

Yes, I agree with that bit. Not sitting on the fence, have expressed my opinion as clearly as I can.

Yeh, I reread it and agree with you.

I still think telling shite jokes on a thread such as this is a cunt's trick. Like I said there's a certain amount of decorum involved or 'netiquette' if you prefer.

I know urbane didn't deliberately set out to offend people but it's obvious that people on here are going to be. Like I said, at least wait until the media storm is over and the kid ahs been buried.

Yes, mind I suppose with Facebook there's more chance of the girl's parents (for example) or someone actually involved becoming aware of the 'joke', and I wouldn't think it at all a cunt's trick if *they* wanted to report someone because of extra distress it caused them.

Perhaps, although I still think it's a fools errand to try to legislate against "being offended by something on the internet." What I don't understand is how they ever manage to make the "with intent to cause offence" bit stick, when it's obviously stupid kids making stupid jokes.

I don't think it is unreasonable to want to discuss issues around this, it is an important news story and an appalling one.

Agreed. I would also want to keep an eye on it in case the police are railroading the guy. Not an unknown occurrence. Even a convicted paedo is entitled to the presumption of innocence, and the only evidence that's been made public is that some children said that she got into his van.

Locking people up because they tell an insensitive joke, regardless of what that joke is, regardless of whether I find it offensive or not, is completely out of order and I worry very, very much about how much we will tolerate. A lot of people were up in arms when Paul Chambers made his Robin Hood Airport joke, and some very big names made a lot of noise supporting him. As soon as the jokes are off-colour and in bad taste, everyone shuts up. If you defend someone's right to speak in a public forum and say things that might upset some people, you do it for everyone. Where I believe you can make a case for it is if someone is inciting violence and so on, but even then the lines often get blurred depending on our various biases. But as it stands, this, and other recent cases, are very, very troubling.

I dislike the time delay on bad jokes, the notion that once the media storm dies down it'll be alright to joke - s'bullshit. If you think it's alright to make a joke in bad taste then do it now, the family aren't going to find it any funnier or more acceptable just because 6 months have passed and the funeral's happened and who gives a damn about the mawkish whinings of those with absolutely no connection to the events? The jokes don't get any less offensive, those grieving aren't going to find them any funnier.

For a fan of van-banging (which i am), this morning was pure class. An empty prison van turned up outside the courthouse, live on BBC News - complete with an outraged member of the public banging the fuck out of it, shouting 'tory bastard! 'tory bastard' and a desperately embarrassed sian lloyd trying to drown him out... brilliant.

An aquaintence of mine on facebook (someone I know to say alright to, not on my friends list), made a shit joke about this missing kid. It popped up on my feed when mutual friends called him a dickhead for posting it.
Now I make close to the knuckle jokes on fb. But this joke was just wrong. Not only was it not funny, it was a joke about a missing, presumed murdered kid. Yet reporting someone to the police for it. That's just bizarre, it's not like it had any impact on the situation. Let your social circle call you a dickhead. You'll soon feel stupid enough for it.

An aquaintence of mine on facebook (someone I know to say alright to, not on my friends list), made a shit joke about this missing kid. It popped up on my feed when mutual friends called him a dickhead for posting it.
Now I make close to the knuckle jokes on fb. But this joke was just wrong. Not only was it not funny, it was a joke about a missing, presumed murdered kid. Yet reporting someone to the police for it. That's just bizarre, it's not like it had any impact on the situation. Let your social circle call you a dickhead. You'll soon feel stupid enough for it.

Brilliant case for free speech there.

some footwear-based van banging from the mail

article-2214489-1567DDF5000005DC-372_634x351.jpg

article-2214489-1567DDF9000005DC-259_634x344.jpg

For a fan of van-banging (which i am), this morning was pure class. An empty prison van turned up outside the courthouse, live on BBC News - complete with an outraged member of the public banging the fuck out of it,

Phew, and I thought I was the only one. Let's form a network - out little secret, of course.

some footwear-based van banging from the mail

Phwoooarrr, reaches for Kleenex.

When I'm feeling optimistic (or naive) I like to think that this is just a period of uncertainty; that the police and courts aren't really sure how to handle social media yet, and so they're testing what their response should be to complaints, just as we're all testing how we deal with them (do we call the person who said something offensive a dick? Do we try to engage with them to explain why what they said was offensive? Or do we report them and hope they get locked up?). And I hope that over time a more balanced approach to it will work its way to the surface (with the first two suggested responses being the norm, and the third only being used in cases where there is sustained harassment where the person involved fears for their safety, or if there is incitement to violence, or whatever). But right now, they are overstepping the mark massively, and when I'm feeling less optimistic it's very easy to think that this is just going to get worse and more repressive. Which, I think, is something we should all oppose very, very loudly and strongly. Slippery slope arguments aren't always the most reliable or sensible, but in a case such as this, it's not that difficult to see a future where someone calling their MP a cunt on twitter might result in a visit from the old bill.

Yeah, that sometimes you might get offended. But as Boris said up there, people can call you a twat and never speak to you again if it was so offensive, but you shouldn't get locked up for it.
Yeah Im not sold on the idea. I dont see why the boy waa jailed. Looks to me like he made a stupid error of judgement.

When I'm feeling optimistic (or naive) I like to think that this is just a period of uncertainty; that the police and courts aren't really sure how to handle social media yet, and so they're testing what their response should be to complaints, just as we're all testing how we deal with them (do we call the person who said something offensive a dick? Do we try to engage with them to explain why what they said was offensive? Or do we report them and hope they get locked up?). And I hope that over time a more balanced approach to it will work its way to the surface (with the first two suggested responses being the norm, and the third only being used in cases where there is sustained harassment where the person involved fears for their safety, or if there is incitement to violence, or whatever). But right now, they are overstepping the mark massively, and when I'm feeling less optimistic it's very easy to think that this is just going to get worse and more repressive. Which, I think, is something we should all oppose very, very loudly and strongly. Slippery slope arguments aren't always the most reliable or sensible, but in a case such as this, it's not that difficult to see a future where someone calling their MP a cunt on twitter might result in a visit from the old bill.
you don't need to call someone a cunt to get a visit from the auld bill

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4879918.stm

Disgrace that that lad got banged up for his message. I've seen the message and it's in bad taste, but wtf!?

I'd like to post it up here so you can see, but I'm not even sure that's legal. What the fuck, Britain!?

If enough people make them their profile picture on facebook then she will come back or something.
Well quite. I've really not be following the details of the story though. Are the ribbons being sold to build a fund to help the family, or... I dunno, something else?

Back
Top Bottom