Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Five-year-old April Jones kidnapped in Machynlleth, Mid-Wales

You are SUPPOSED to be innocent until proven guilty. It saddens me that(sometimes) long before a person is even charged there is a 'trial' by media. It is wrong imo. :(
In this case I don't think the media made much difference.
In a small community like the one here, word and mouth will be way ahead of the media.
Festering undercurrents, talk about hanging and what you should do to kiddie fiddlers. In the pub, over several drinks, talk of violence and you've got it. Frightening.

A Very sad day.

In this case I don't think the media made much difference.
In a small community like the one here, word and mouth will be way ahead of the media.
Festering undercurrents, talk about hanging and what you should do to kiddie fiddlers. In the pub, over several drinks, talk of violence and you've got it. Frightening.

Also the internet has a large part to play, gossip on forums, facebook, twitter etc.

Some of the posts here and speculation regarding Tia Sharp were absolutely fucking disgusting.

I just hope that the police have got compelling evidence that Mark Bridger is the culprit, so there can be no doubt, even without a body, when it comes to court.

Surely the law has to change, regards protecting the identity of people arrested on suspicion? Something like this could happen to any of us - wrong place wrong time, face doesn't fit etc - & before you know it you're the face on the front of every tabloid & news bulletin, & a daily mail reading lynch mob hiding around every corner. It's happened before & it's still happening!

I for one couldn't return to Mach, & I doubt Bridger could either. I'd be wanting a sufficient amount of cash to be able to fuck off & start again.

Someone (by law) has to be held to account for destroying the lives of innocent people. This in no way detracts from the despicable crime that has happened.
It's pretty unusual, tbf, for the police to release the identity of someone they're questioning. That normally happens once charges are brought. But in this case they are still searching for the little girl, so wanted information. He'd already been named locally anyway.

I just hope that the police have got compelling evidence that Mark Bridger is the culprit, so there can be no doubt, even without a body, when it comes to court.

The CPS will decide if there's enough evidence to go to court, not the police.

Providing he does not "commit suicide" in police custody as is sometimes the way

The CPS has decided there os enough evidence. I just hope they find her body so the family know for sure.
Perhaps they have got some DNA. The abduction charge will stick but without a body the murder one is impossible unless he confesses. If he dumped the body in the river it is possible that she will never be found. The parents will have this on their mind for the rest of their lives.

Something significant would have happened for them to change it from abduction to murder. There must be evidence of that.

let's all see if we can guess what's happened and the nearest person to what's actually gone on can brag about it.

Sadly that tends to be a big part of it all. People love offering up theories, so they can sound so terribly learned, and then being vindicated when the facts come to light.

I also find the element of these kind of things being a mass shared experience interesting as well.

So, now that he has been charged, what can we discuss, and what not?

Out of curiosity why do we need to discuss it at all?? We don't KNOW anything, none of us was there, surely whatever is discussed is speculation??
I really don't like threads like this. Think I'll go away again :( I didn't go into the Tai Sharp thread afaik. I don't know who she is and I don't need to.

Out of curiosity why do we need to discuss it at all??
I don't think it is unreasonable to want to discuss issues around this, it is an important news story and an appalling one. I for example would quite like to discuss Sarah's law and its differences from Megan's Law, because of this case. Perhaps though I should just start a new thread.

I don't think it is unreasonable to want to discuss issues around this, it is an important news story and an appalling one. I for example would quite like to discuss Sarah's law and its differences from Megan's Law, because of this case. Perhaps though I should just start a new thread.
perhaps you should.

I was under the impression this was a forum were you discuss issues. If you dont want to discuss it, you simply dont have too.
This is a sensitive subject and I dont see anyone here point scoring over the murder of an innocent child. But because it has been so horrific, it is pretty normal for people to want to try and make some sense of what has happened.
That's where my heart is anyway.

Something significant would have happened for them to change it from abduction to murder. There must be evidence of that.

Yeah, that's what makes me think his land rover contained something too macabre to think about. Nonsense I know but can't help but think of it :(

I was under the impression this was a forum were you discuss issues. If you dont want to discuss it, you simply dont have too.
This is a sensitive subject and I dont see anyone here point scoring over the murder of an innocent child. But because it has been so horrific, it is pretty normal for people to want to try and make some sense of what has happened.
That's where my heart is anyway.

Welcome to urban75, the great bun fight on the internet.

Yeah, that's what makes me think his land rover contained something too macabre to think about. Nonsense I know but can't help but think of it :(

You need to get out more.

Edit: Now, if you'll excuse me I have some humbugs to eat, whilst sitting on the moral high ground, of course.

Why nonsense? The assumption has to be that there is some reasonable forensic evidence on his clothes or Landy, at least enough to be worth charging him in the meantime while the body hunt carries on.

more likely a confession imo than forensics because they'd have charged him without approaching the deadline if they'd material evidence.

Forensics might be just enough to allow the CPS to charge, but not enough to make the chances of success more than 50/50. The CPS are, presumably, pragmatists and would be aware of the reaction they'd get if they let wossname wander off into the sunset.

Back
Top Bottom