Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Five-year-old April Jones kidnapped in Machynlleth, Mid-Wales

let's all see if we can guess what's happened and the nearest person to what's actually gone on can brag about it.
Forensics might be just enough to allow the CPS to charge, but not enough to make the chances of success more than 50/50. The CPS are, presumably, pragmatists and would be aware of the reaction they'd get if they let wossname wander off into the sunset.

The 72 hour grace period before levity is allowed has long passed, I'm afraid, Chrissy.

UrbaneFox, I'll take your £20.

Just a thought: at what point in these situations does sick / dark etc humour become at least partially acceptable?

I think that everyone who has visited and commented on this thread had at least a 99% idea as to what had happened.

No need for this faintheartedness now.

Sounds like he made some variation of the Maddy McCann hide-and-seek champion joke and it blew up in his face on Facebook. I think it's not so much not being aware of the ins-and-outs of the Communications Act, but more having the bad luck to be in the same social circles as cunts who report bad jokes on Facebook to the police.

I think that everyone who has visited and commented on this thread had at least a 99% idea as to what had happened.

No need for this faintheartedness now.

It's not a question of "faintheardness" whatever the fuck that is, cunt.

Hmm, sounds like section 127 of the Communications Act should be required reading for people posting on the internet.

Improper use of public electronic communications networkE+W+S+N.I.
This section has no associated Explanatory Notes

(1)A person is guilty of an offence if he—

(a)sends by means of a public electronic communications network a message or other matter that is grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character; or

(b)causes any such message or matter to be so sent.

(2)A person is guilty of an offence if, for the purpose of causing annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety to another, he—

(a)sends by means of a public electronic communications network, a message that he knows to be false,

(b)causes such a message to be sent; or

(c)persistently makes use of a public electronic communications network.

(3)A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable, on summary conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale, or to both.

(4)Subsections (1) and (2) do not apply to anything done in the course of providing a programme service (within the meaning of the Broadcasting Act 1990 (c. 42)).

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/21/section/127

Sounds like he made some variation of the Maddy McCann hide-and-seek champion joke and it blew up in his face on Facebook. I think it's not so much not being aware of the ins-and-outs of the Communications Act, but more having the bad luck to be in the same social circles as cunts who report bad jokes on Facebook to the police.

I wonder what difference there is between making a joke like that on urban as against on Facebook if the offense is "sending a public electronic communication which is grossly offensive". I suspect none at all.

I don't mind bad taste jokes, I tell them myself - but there's a certain amount of decorum involved. Placing puerile bets on who did it, amending existing old and tired jokes and so on, when it's still in the headlines is a cunts trick on par with reporting said jokes to the police.

Telling jokes about recently injured or dead coppers is perfectly acceptable though.

Trololol.

I don't mind bad taste jokes, I tell them myself - but there's a certain amount of decorum involved. Placing puerile bets on who did it, amending existing old and tired jokes and so on, when it's still in the headlines is a cunts trick on par with reporting said jokes to the police.
I disagree. People deal with emotionally affecting events in different ways; some will make jokes almost straight away (and the Stammers thread had a fair few "rape lol" jokes while that still had an unknown outcome). I don't think legislating against - or using existing vaguely phrased legislation to criminalise - anyone making jokes in whatever definition of taste is defined as 'bad' this week is in anyone's interests.

So
(1)A person is guilty of an offence if he—

(a)sends by means of a public electronic communications network a message or other matter that is grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character; or

(b)causes any such message or matter to be so sent.

(2)A person is guilty of an offence if, for the purpose of causing annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety to another, he—

(a)sends by means of a public electronic communications network, a message that he knows to be false,

(b)causes such a message to be sent; or

(c)persistently makes use of a public electronic communications network.
my emphasis

Item (c) suggests to me that merely using public communications persistently is of itself an offence. That means that all regular posters on this or other forums are in breach of Section 127

There's some good stuff on the CPS website about how it should be applied, which makes it very difficult to see this as an acceptable use. I can't work out how to copy it though. Wretched Nexus.

I disagree. People deal with emotionally affecting events in different ways; some will make jokes almost straight away (and the Stammers thread had a fair few "rape lol" jokes while that still had an unknown outcome). I don't think legislating against - or using existing vaguely phrased legislation to criminalise - anyone making jokes in whatever definition of taste is defined as 'bad' this week is in anyone's interests.

So you in fact agree with me that reporting bad taste jokes is a cunts trick? You seem to be sitting on the fence and covering your arse from both angles.

There's some good stuff on the CPS website about how it should be applied, which makes it very difficult to see this as an acceptable use. I can't work out how to copy it though. Wretched Nexus.

Keep your finger on the text you want to quote.

Back
Top Bottom