Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Five-year-old April Jones kidnapped in Machynlleth, Mid-Wales

He's great, I like him - most of the time.

UWTac.jpg

Hmmm ok he has some uses

Still a prick

What is Fry saying this time I wonder.

That was exactly my point earlier. Celebs were all over the shop getting us to 'support Paul Chambers' and everyone had little things in the twitter avatars that said stuff like "this is a joke" or whatever. But that was a nice, safe case, wasn't it? A nice, inoffensive, middle class (I think) tweeter said something that got reported, and everyone flocked to defend the right to free speech, talking about how it'd be so damn terrible for all of us if this sort of thing wasn't allowed. But now, a couple of cases where the people concerned aren't quite so media-friendly, aren't probably the kind of people glinner and fry would be happy standing next to in a photo holding a banner defending the right to say what you want ... and what? Fucking dicks, that's what.

Things you should and shouldn't say.

It is complicated in the New World of self-publishing, multi-narrowcast, internet babble.

Previously, publishers and broadcasters were regulated by governments and self-regulated by self-regulatory bodies. More people now read, and believe what is on the internet. Most of us now distrust the mainstream media and look to the internet for the 'truth'. More fool us.

Only human nature to try and make light out of the darkest situation. No way should this lad have been sentenced. Daily Mail staff have done far worse in the past. They will do in the future. Inciting racial hatred, paranoia, distrust of neighbours...

Where is the World going? The internet seems to be becomming a bigger threat by the day to those who wish to control what we think. We need to respect that. And, we need to abuse it.

That was exactly my point earlier. Celebs were all over the shop getting us to 'support Paul Chambers' and everyone had little things in the twitter avatars that said stuff like "this is a joke" or whatever. But that was a nice, safe case, wasn't it? A nice, inoffensive, middle class (I think) tweeter said something that got reported, and everyone flocked to defend the right to free speech, talking about how it'd be so damn terrible for all of us if this sort of thing wasn't allowed. But now, a couple of cases where the people concerned aren't quite so media-friendly, aren't probably the kind of people glinner and fry would be happy standing next to in a photo holding a banner defending the right to say what you want ... and what? Fucking dicks, that's what.

Matthew Woods pleaded guilty - to what, I have no fucking clue. Not sure what can be done immediately to help him, much less relying on celebs. But yes, it's not so media friendly. The same legal crew who helped out Chambers seem to be rumbling, so I guess we'll see, because that part of the 2003? Communications act is not fit.

This is one thing that the Americans got right 200-odd years ago. Free speech, whether you agree or not.

Matthew Woods pleaded guilty - to what, I have no fucking clue. Not sure what can be done immediately to help him, much less relying on celebs. But yes, it's not so media friendly. The same legal crew who helped out Chambers seem to be rumbling, so I guess we'll see, because that part of the 2003? Communications act is not fit.

This is one thing that the Americans got right 200-odd years ago. Free speech, whether you agree or not.

They are? (The legal team, I mean.) Well, tentatively that is good news. Because it needs them to be challenging this sort of case, high profile and unseemly as it is, for the law really to be tested and hopefully done away with.

I think this has alot to do with sending a message to the public. Its time to take responsibilty for how you behave online. He has been made an example of.

Ok, so the april ones are pretty bad, but the muslim lad who got done for saying squaddies will go to hell? Arguably a political or religious point.

I have a muslim friend who despite being nice enough still thinks I, and my wife and children will all go to burn hell. Should she get banged up? It's just what she believes religiously. Technically my family will all burn in hell for all eternity form a christian standpoint too.

I have a muslim friend who despite being nice enough still thinks I, and my wife and children will all go to burn hell. Should she get banged up? It's just what she believes religiously. Technically my family will all burn in hell for all eternity form a christian standpoint too.

Both he, and the church, I don't hold out much hope for you Atomic Suplex!! :)

I think this has alot to do with sending a message to the public. Its time to take responsibilty for how you behave online. He has been made an example of.

"Examples" rarely work (think of the death penalty as a 'deterrent' - it doesn't work). And in the meantime, we get a very nasty precedent set whereby it's now acceptable to lock someone up if they happen to say something in a public forum that someone else is upset by. Think about how that might be abused.

Both he, and the church, I don't hold out much hope for you Atomic Suplex!! :)
Well 'she' actually.
All I am saying is that every religion seems to think that people who simply don't believe in their religion will burn for all eternity. One kid mentioning something like that on twitter is a banging up offense? Could you get a sentence for quoting a bit of the bible on facebook? The bible has been out there for quote a long time. I know people who quite the burning in hell lines on the street out of loud speakers.

Well 'she' actually.
All I am saying is that every religion seems to think that people who simply don't believe in their religion will burn for all eternity. One kid mentioning something like that on twitter is a banging up offense? Could you get a sentence for quoting a bit of the bible on facebook? The bible has been out there for quite a long time. I know people who quite the burning in hell lines on the street out of loud speakers.

Now that would be interesting, could someone get arrested and charged under the communications act by quoting from the bible!! ?? that would be great :)

that muslim guy is plainly a cock but I don't see why what he said should be a crime. It's a bit worrying if you ask me.

Now that would be interesting, could someone get arrested and charged under the communications act by quoting from the bible!! ?? that would be great :)

Surely there must be people in the UK who will speak out in favour of biblical commands like killing disobedient children http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/10/08/arkansas-republican-endorses-death-penalty-for-children/

Mind you, you'd imagine anyone calling for death to muslims would qualify. First thoughts would be BNP type forums but fuck it a lot of the comments on Daily Mail sites on a good day (well I assume anyway - not that I've ever read comments on Daily Mail articles oh no).

Well 'she' actually.
All I am saying is that every religion seems to think that people who simply don't believe in their religion will burn for all eternity. One kid mentioning something like that on twitter is a banging up offense? Could you get a sentence for quoting a bit of the bible on facebook? The bible has been out there for quite a long time. I know people who quite the burning in hell lines on the street out of loud speakers.

i came across an anti-semitic street preacher the other day, but should he go to prison for saying stuff to people in the street about the jews killing christ? should he fuck, if you put somebody like that in jail it's not going to stop them thinking what they think, and it's not going to stop them saying it, it's just going to make it worse and they'll feel like they're a martyr for whatever views they hold. to be honest, if somebody like that was in jail i would think what an absolute waste of time.

Phew, and I thought I was the only one. Let's form a network - out little secret, of course.

Phwoooarrr, reaches for Kleenex.

There were angry scenes outside the court in Aberystwyth as the 46-year-old former lifeguard arrived. Around 30 members of the public, who had waited patiently in the morning drizzle, shouted abuse and banged on the prison van he was travelling in. One man, who had travelled from Birmingham, threw a plastic bottle at the van.

lulz. i think we need a van-banging thread at least. i was hanging out for the nonce-eastbourne-music teacher van-bang but this one seems to have superceded it. is that guy even back in the country yet? where the fuck's his van.

i came across an anti-semitic street preacher the other day, but should he go to prison for saying stuff to people in the street about the jews killing christ? should he fuck, if you put somebody like that in jail it's not going to stop them thinking what they think, and it's not going to stop them saying it, it's just going to make it worse and they'll feel like they're a martyr for whatever views they hold. to be honest, if somebody like that was in jail i would think what an absolute waste of time.

Just to be clear, I agree.

The ironic thing is that loads of people on twitter were calling for Mathew Woods (who made the April 'jokes') to have "his dick cut off" and be "killed" which I reckon is pretty offensive as well.

12 weeks in jail? Madness. That's the maximum sentence allowed. All to please the Daily Fail and the Scum. So much for consistency in the law.

"Examples" rarely work (think of the death penalty as a 'deterrent' - it doesn't work). And in the meantime, we get a very nasty precedent set whereby it's now acceptable to lock someone up if they happen to say something in a public forum that someone else is upset by. Think about how that might be abused.
Not disagreeing with you. Just trying to explain where the courts are going with this.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/oct/12/matthew-woods-support-paul-chambers
Voltaire wouldn't recognise this country.

what i don't get now, is if this is doable under 2003 Communication Act, then why aren't the online editions of papers also under ofcoms umbrella?

Glad that article was written. There needs to be a push back against this, enough 'important' people questioning it is, sadly, often what it takes to give something traction. He's pleaded guilty, so I suppose that means he can't appeal. But what I want to know is where were the outpourings of rich celebrities donating their own money to secure him counsel for his defence or appeal (as I believe happened with Chambers). Two faced cunts.

The ironic thing is that loads of people on twitter were calling for Mathew Woods (who made the April 'jokes') to have "his dick cut off" and be "killed" which I reckon is pretty offensive as well.

I suppose an absurd cycle could be started to demonstrate the point. Take a screenshot of the people posting about cutting his dick off, and post it to his mums facebook wall. Rinse and repeat.

Glad that article was written. There needs to be a push back against this, enough 'important' people questioning it is, sadly, often what it takes to give something traction. He's pleaded guilty, so I suppose that means he can't appeal. But what I want to know is where were the outpourings of rich celebrities donating their own money to secure him counsel for his defence or appeal (as I believe happened with Chambers). Two faced cunts.
I really hope this deserves a thread of its own. How is Facebook covered and not the online content of the sun, the mail or even urban?

I'll just post it. If the mods think I should remove it then I will.

So, definitely in poor taste. Criminal and deserving of prison? No chance!
Because cerebal palsy is a disability, hypothetically speaking the hate crime laws might apply, which elevates it above the usual bad taste 'hide and seek' jokes.

Because cerebal palsy is a disability, hypothetically speaking the hate crime laws might apply, which elevates it above the usual bad taste 'hide and seek' jokes.
Not seen posts of his that make specific reference to her death and her disease, if anything the fuckwitted insensitive cunt was more concerned with her hair colour.
Turning this through 180degrees why didn't you Jan Moirs Stephen Gately comments get done this way?

Hope the post Leveson review covers shit like this

Not seen posts of his that make specific reference to her death and her disease, if anything the fuckwitted insensitive cunt was more concerned with her hair colour.
Turning this through 180degrees why didn't you Jan Moirs Stephen Gately comments get done this way?

Hope the post Leveson review covers shit like this
I wasn't having a go at Fez, he was asking why the joke could perceived as worse than most bad taste jokes, and I offered an opinion on it, given that the joke itself made reference to April's CP.

I wasn't having a go at Fez, he was asking why the joke could perceived as worse than most bad taste jokes, and I offered an opinion on it, given that the joke itself made reference to April's CP.

Not disagreeing with your wider point, but if this was a hate crime, surely it should be prosecuted as such?

Wasn't saying anything re Fez was about my understanding of what the nicked bloke had written

Back
Top Bottom