Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Fate of EU citizens in the UK post Brexit

I think I remember reading she went to Gordonstoun, the private school that generations of Royals have attended. I don't suppose £65 is anything to her. Probably pays that for a bag of civit shit coffee beans for her housekeeper to grind for her.
poor norton knatchbull, 3rd earl mountbatten of burma and auld gordonstounian, his parents must really have hated him

The £65 thing is, or was, the most minor part of this whole process. No home office gate keeper is going to reject your money. At least it's infallible. The serious problems are peoples ability to complete the process and if they do, wrongly getting rejected.

That tweet on the last page Dexter posted has some more insight in the thread... After being rejected she appealed, called a helpline and is being assigned a case worker. She's waiting now. This is someone who has evidence of years in the UK coming out of her ears. There won't be the staff to deal with a fraction of the 3500000 cases going through and being appealed... And as we know with the 'benefits' system its a system designed to crush and destroy, and that requires a lot of skill to face in the first place.

And there's a deadline. Case not resolved by march 21 you're fucked

The £65 thing is, or was, the most minor part of this whole process. No home office gate keeper is going to reject your money. At least it's infallible. The serious problems are peoples ability to complete the process and if they do, wrongly getting rejected.

That tweet on the last page Dexter posted has some more insight in the thread... After being rejected she appealed, called a helpline and is being assigned a case worker. This is someone who has evidence of years in the UK coming out of her ears. There won't be the staff to deal with a fraction of the 3500000 cases going through and being appealed... And as we know with the 'benefits' system its a system designed to crush and destroy, and that requires a lot of skill to face in the first place.
no, the problem is there will only be the staff to deal with a fraction of the 3500000 cases going through and being appealed and that in itself is going to lead to all manner of consequences like people being deported before their cases are heard

My wife has just tried the scheme, it wouldn’t scan her resident permit, the message was that British citizens need not apply for settled status, she’s Canadian.

Anyhow after some calls to the home office I was told that she needed the biometric residence card for proof that she’s an EU family member. However the home office back in 2014 said she would never need one.

We now have to wait till the end of March to apply. Oh well.

As ska invita says except that I’m not sure how meaningful it is to demand anything of Labour. They are what they are.

What do you think?

I think Labour must commit to abandoning this registration/deportation process started by May and that necessarily means retaining freedom of movement for the foreseeable.
About what? This random tweeter? The Labour Party? What you are willing to call freedom on movement? Corbyn's "far-right" arguments?

Well I don't watch Marr so I've no idea what he said on Jan 13 show.

But in terms of the general position the LP leadership on, I think it's impossible for a migration system to be "fair" under capitalism. That said I think it would be perfectly possible, as well as sensible, for a government to commit to ensuring people from EU countries (and dependants) currently living in the UK will be able to live in the UK after it leaves the EU. And that to do so doesn't have to involve committing to the EU's "freedom on movement".

I do think capital, through the EU and national governments, use "freedom of movement" to attack workers conditions, and that Corbyn has been right to attack companies doing this.

Well I don't watch Marr so I've no idea what he said on Jan 13 show.

But in terms of the general position the LP leadership on, I think it's impossible for a migration system to be "fair" under capitalism. That said I think it would be perfectly possible, as well as sensible, for a government to commit to ensuring people from EU countries (and dependants) currently living in the UK will be able to live in the UK after it leaves the EU. And that to do so doesn't have to involve committing to the EU's "freedom on movement".

I do think capital, through the EU and national governments, use "freedom of movement" to attack workers conditions, and that Corbyn has been right to attack companies doing this.
Interestingly, the state has already admitted that it won't be capable of distinguishing between EU residents and new EU arrivals at UK borders.

I take it from this that you’re in favour of immigration controls on EU citizens being more restrictive than they currently are.

I take it from this that you’re in favour of immigration controls on EU citizens being more restrictive than they currently are.
On what basis are you making this assumption?
I'm in favour of the self-organisation of workers, that doesn't have to lead to "more restrictive immigration controls", indeed my belief is that it would lead to the opposite.

So she has only been offered "pre settled status". As they are saying she does not have employment record for 2015 to 2017.

I thought this settled status process was supposed to be simple. You only have to prove residence here.

In practise her experience is possibly meaning they won't give a lot of EU people settled status but only give them pre settled status to start with.

Her experience is not very encouraging for those EU citizens trying to have guaranteed right to stay.

So she has only been offered "pre settled status". As they are saying she does not have employment record for 2015 to 2017.

I thought this settled status process was supposed to be simple. You only have to prove residence here.

In practise her experience is possibly meaning they won't give a lot of EU people settled status but only give them pre settled status to start with.

Her experience is not very encouraging for those EU citizens trying to have guaranteed right to stay.
Yup.

The affected blase attitude of some posters on this thread belie the truth.

Back
Top Bottom