Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Fate of EU citizens in the UK post Brexit

Great news. I can only hope this will give Suella Braverman, any jobsworth twats at the Home Office and UK Border who have antagonised countless EU citizens anxious about their long term future in the UK, and all those who voted Leave for anti-immigration reasons, a rage-triggered ulcer.

The government now says that it will not appeal against the decision.

So the "pre settled" bollox has gone. Good.
Not so sure it has gone, sadly. It seems like they intend to keep it, but switch it from being the thing that gives you the right to reside to being the the thing that gives you evidence of your right to reside.

So the next stage may well be court cases when people are denied NHS treatment or council services because they can't evidence their right to it.

Or maybe they'll have a rethink, because it's totally stupid. Idk what the odds are.

Not so sure it has gone, sadly. It seems like they intend to keep it, but switch it from being the thing that gives you the right to reside to being the the thing that gives you evidence of your right to reside.

So the next stage may well be court cases when people are denied NHS treatment or council services because they can't evidence their right to it.

Or maybe they'll have a rethink, because it's totally stupid. Idk what the odds are.

I think you could be right on this.

I remember whilst Brexit was being done the government being lobbied to enshrine people's right to reside here

So it's up to government to prove you should not be here. Rather than as you say the onus being on the individual resident of this country to prove to government they have right to reside here

It was this that caught out a lot of the Windrush people. They thought they had right to live in UK. But government tightened up evidence required under the Hostile environment policy.

I think you could be right on this.

I remember whilst Brexit was being done the government being lobbied to enshrine people's right to reside here

So it's up to government to prove you should not be here. Rather than as you say the onus being on the individual resident of this country to prove to government they have right to reside here

It was this that caught out a lot of the Windrush people. They thought they had right to live in UK. But government tightened up evidence required under the Hostile environment policy.
That’s not how it works with the EU and U.K. citizens though . If you already had residency then you needed to apply ( transfer really) to the new post Brexit residency . If you hadn’t got a residency before Brexit but could prove you were there before ie rental agreement, wage slip, bank statements etc etc then you got a residency on the pre Brexit grounds . All made a little more complicated that they switched to EU compliant biometric residency cards ( photo, fingerprints and signature) rather than paper .

High court judge dealing with one of the cases says this on how the withdrawal agreement is worded;
rejected the argument that pre-settled status (PSS) “accords immediate and unfettered access to all the rights”. PSS, he said, was only “unconditional for the purposes of UK immigration law”.

And he was blunt about those who had framed the citizens rights clauses in the EU-UK withdrawal agreement. “In my judgment, the framers of article 18(1) have created an entity whose fundamental characteristics, like the quantum particle, does not allow itself easily to be pinned down,” Jay said.

I thought this was all supposed to been sorted out. That those raising doubts were making fuss over nothing.

Back
Top Bottom