Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Fate of EU citizens in the UK post Brexit

Fuck knows if EHIC will still be available.
EHIC is (was) only for holiday visits.
For me to retire to (France) without employment there, (even now) I have to prove that a. I have a guaranteed income of £550 per month and b. that I have private health cover.
So I doubt the stories that people were able to make do with EHIC for the first couple of years.

Labour MP’s get to heart of the matter MPs slam Android-only app for EU citizens to apply for settled UK status I see the scullery Maid Jess Phillips is leading the charge.

Nevermind the scheme that the straight forward bit. it’s the bit where the border is potrolled by employers, landlords, estate agents and doctors that is the worry.

Usual suspects usual dullards.
quick off the mark this lot arent they? The app is already live and the process is rolling out ffs

EHIC is (was) only for holiday visits.
For me to retire to (France) without employment there, (even now) I have to prove that a. I have a guaranteed income of £550 per month and b. that I have private health cover.
So I doubt the stories that people were able to make do with EHIC for the first couple of years.
There's no check on EHIC usage but its use is supposed to be restricted to those who live in the UK and when it expires you have to have a UK address to reapply.

Has anyone given you a firm position on the status of Irish people? Before I folded my tent and vanished into the night, I did read something claiming that the consensus that we have automatic permanent leave to remain was wrong. . .
This article suggests some potential problems, though not with leave to remain.

https://www.politico.eu/article/equal-rights-in-northern-ireland-threatened-by-brexit/
The list of issues to sort out is long: from immigration rules, to rights related to residency, access to education, social security and health care. To take one example, under Northern Irish health care legislation, only British citizens or European Economic Area citizens are currently entitled to certain types of home help or community care. But EEA citizens, including Northern Ireland-born Irish citizens, stand to lose this benefit after Brexit if there is no deal and hence no transition period.

Not specifically about brexit but a thread on education about migration.

The worst part of the worksheet is, however, the section entitled 'Impacts on Peterborough', which sets out the impact of Polish migration (NB: the grammatical errors in this section made me double-check on where this came from, but parents have confirmed origin etc to me).
Fuckin hell.

Fuckin hell.
I mean this - fuck me!

upload_2019-2-6_22-55-17.png

Seems this was uploaded to the TES resource website by a teacher, and they removed it as soon as it was brought to their attention. But some comments on the thread suggest this isn't the only exercise with racist undertones (or outright racism and xenophobia) that kids have brought home from school / teachers have used. In this case, there was a lone Polish girl in the class when it was given out. Christ. :(

I mean this - fuck me!

View attachment 161155

Seems this was uploaded to the TES resource website by a teacher, and they removed it as soon as it was brought to their attention. But some comments on the thread suggest this isn't the only exercise with racist undertones (or outright racism and xenophobia) that kids have brought home from school / teachers have used. In this case, there was a lone Polish girl in the class when it was given out. Christ. :(
Surprised by the selling of drunks

I’m not sure I’ve got much to add. If you have a critique of the article I’d be happy to read it.

ETA: no endorsement of DIEM25 intended.

Last edited:
My views in general?

I’m in favour, for the most part, of people being able to travel, live and work where they want. I don’t want to see EU citizens lose their rights here, or the British lose their rights in the EU. I’ve no wish to defend the EU’s fortress Europe policies either. I don’t see why getting rid of EU freedom of movement had to be intrinsic to brexit but that’s where both main parties have gone with it.

Last edited:
... I don’t see why getting rid of EU freedom of movement had to be intrinsic to brexit but that’s where both main parties have gone with it.

my conversations with those who voted leave - and a good few who voted remain in the end - suggests to me that ending free movement was more important to a large slice of the electorate than leaving the EU as a whole.

to think that Labour have just randomly picked ending free movement out of the air for absolutely no reason is just silly.

It may reflect a large part of public opinion but that doesn’t make it intrinsic to leaving the EU. Surely it would have been much easier to get an agreement with the EU without red lines on ending freedom of movement.

ETA: Ivan Rogers had a bit to say about the red lines on freedom of movement and negotiations with the EU in his UCL talk (pages 21-22). His assessment seems realistic to me: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/european-inst...iles/sir_ivan_rogers_lecture_ucl_22012019.pdf

Last edited:
I mean this - fuck me!n

View attachment 161155

"social unrest in the Peterborough between the English, Polish, and other eastern European's"

This teacher would deserve to be shown the door even if their worksheets weren't massively racist.

It may reflect a large part of public opinion but that doesn’t make it intrinsic to leaving the EU. Surely it would have been much easier to get an agreement with the EU without red lines on ending freedom of movement.

Is that not a bit like suggesting that it will be easier to negotiate an amicable divorce if you agree to not actually get divorced, not move out of the marital home, not drag up every argument, and not start dating Kirsten from Accounts - academic, and irrelevant?

Maybe. My main reason for not voting for brexit was the likely effect on EU residents here and British residents in the EU. I couldn’t really see brexit happening without migrants losing rights.

Last edited:
I mean this - fuck me!

View attachment 161155

Jesus fucking christ. This is insane. Comic sans is suddenly not so important.....

Reactions: CRI

I agree with this.

Instead, EU free movement should be a springboard to a more global system of open migration. Labour should be leading the way to defend EU free movement and extend it beyond Europe’s borders, shattering the fortress that Brussels has constructed around the continent.

Law week I was chatting to shopkeeper I know in Brixton. Her family came here from Eritrea in 80s as asylum seekers. She was telling me she could not understand how anyone on the left could support Brexit. Even though it doesn't affect her directly she saw the referendum as being a vote on immigration. Came up as left wing friend of hers ( she is involved in community issues in Brixton) supported Brexit.

Corbyns stance on immigration might go down well in other parts of the country but not in Brixton.

Same issue came up yesterday in Loughborough Junction. Talking to local person from the estate and shopkeeper. Same response.

Is that not a bit like suggesting that it will be easier to negotiate an amicable divorce if you agree to not actually get divorced, not move out of the marital home, not drag up every argument, and not start dating Kirsten from Accounts - academic, and irrelevant?

zahir point that leaving the EU didn't necessarily mean stopping free movement. The Government have had to put bill thorough parliament to end free movement. This is a political choice by this government.

I take you point in post 351 that many people voted to end free movement. Immigration was a big issue.

Which is reason why I was Remain. Its also why a lot of people in my area of London ,Lambeth ,are Remainers.

Back
Top Bottom