Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Fascists, Fascism and the Invasion.

But I'm not sure that's right, I think that just as liberals and social democrats can get the far-left to do stuff for them and not give them anything in return, so you can get the state or mainstream forces working with fascists while managing to keep them on the lead sometimes - to the extent that Trumpism was a coalition of the Republican party and forces to its right, I think it was the Republicans rather than the alt-right who benefitted from it, and similarly in the relationship between Putin and Russian nazis it's clearly Putin who's the organ-grinder there.
Off topic but I think this argument also fits for the right in Greece.

Oh come on I wasnt having a go at him ffs.

Maybe because the people most enthusiastic about chucking around accusations of various Ukrainian figures being fash on the flimsiest of evidence are the ones who are actually carrying out nazi style actions on the ground? That's what I find nauseating about the whole thing
So what’s your opinion on the AZOV Battalion being integrated into the Ukrainian army and left to lead the fight in the Donbas where war has been raging for years?
It is possible to be critical but still support their right to defend against the Russians unconditionally. The Ukrainian government which presided over alarming human rights breeches and was not able to confront and deal with the uniformed fascists who made life hell for lgbt+ activists and human rights activists.

So what’s your opinion on the AZOV Battalion being integrated into the Ukrainian army and left to lead the fight in the Donbas where war has been raging for years?
It is possible to be critical but still support their right to defend against the Russians unconditionally. The Ukrainian government which presided over alarming human rights breeches and was not able to confront and deal with the uniformed fascists who made life hell for lgbt+ activists and human rights activists.
Critical unconditional support :thumbs:

Different framing of Nazism rooted in ideas of the Great Patriotic war being one primarily against Russia and Russian identity. Very broadly.
Yeah, I suppose it's not 100 miles away from some of the contradictions around UK fash loving Churchill and the Cenotaph, etc. I remember someone posted a really good article in one of the many threads here about what "antifascism" is taken to mean in the post-soviet space, completely can't remember where it was though?

Reactions: Cid

Here's a very detailed 2019 article by Andreas Umland on the history of Azov, I haven't read the whole thing yet and im not a great expert on the subject tbh. So far its saying that the leadership of the Azov regiment are (or were) far right and that the 'Azov movement' they gave rise to has a worrisome influence in Ukrainian politics due to events on the battlefield, but also that the extent of extreme right ideology among its members, and those volunteering to join, can't be known, especially in the conditions of war etc.

This article could be downplaying the Azov regiment's current far right links but it's interesting that Taras Bilous endorses it.

This article could be downplaying the Azov regiment's current far right links but it's interesting that Taras Bilous endorses it.

I can understand, and share the same position in that respect as Bilous, that the presence of the far right Azov ( both the armed regiment and its social movement) shouldn't be an excuse not to support Ukraine in its defence against the Russians. I can understand the argument that the far right in Ukraine has declined numerically and politically since the 2019 elections.

However, we seem to have moved in the space of 18 months from articles like this on Azov

Facebook condemned for hosting neo-Nazi network with UK links

to the article quoted above, "Azov activists launched initiatives as diverse as ensuring animal rights, fighting against illicit communal land seizure, and protecting the environment. In other words, they moderated their ideological fervor or modified it altogether." A turn funnily enough described by others, before the war commenced , as being based on Casa Pound , the Italian social fascist movement.

Can anyone explain how Azov has been denazified within 18 months?

There's also this bat-shit commentary by Christian fash channel Tsargrad. Comparing Ukraine to IS now lol, given that 'denazification' might not be going down 100% great with some of their audience.

Screenshot_20220412-174717_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220412-174843_Chrome.jpg

There's also this bat-shit commentary by Christian fash channel Tsargrad. Comparing Ukraine to IS now lol, given that 'denazification' might not be going down 100% great with some of their audience.

View attachment 318562

View attachment 318561
The bad actress (apparently she had previously been in some Ukrainian soap) who wants to kill all Russians was the video that I posted (it's now been deleted) . I think it was taken down because the throat slitting bit in it drew comments about ISIS.

It's real. Denazification going well.

They're all at it. Richard Spencer's wife's twitter machine is full of pearl clutching about nazis despite her record of fashness. Galloway and assorted loons and redbrowns like to rt her of course.

Even Beeley has gone full anteefa.

Back
Top Bottom