Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Far-right response to Southport Outrage And Ongoing Violent Disorder

It is utterly meaningless. Here's a list of things and people I've seen described as 'woke': not being able to debate politely, graphs, vegetarianism, tofu, Gary Lineker, Gareth Southgate, taking an interest in history, men talking about emotions, men taking good care of their health, assertiveness training for women, Around the World In 80 Days, black people on TV in general, England kits. I could go on.

Also, Spymaster is starting to remind me of the right-wing trolls we had on the political forum on the Hole site, who just signed up to play with liberals and didn't actually care about Hole, they just wanted a debate and people to argue with. I'm relatively new here but I get the impression this is what you guys are dealing with? He's here because he wants to find people to argue with and maybe poke the lefties a bit?
Many years ago Spymaster decided he'd oppose whatever I supported and so here we are

I'm actually going to give this a proper response.

We don't have unfettered immigration, which is the current right wing belief. Its false though.

Only 14% of people in this country were born outside of the UK. This is generally in-line with our neighbours and below many of our allies including Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Belgium, Sweden, and Ireland where as much as 20% of the population can be born outside of their nations.

Asylum Migration is incredibly low, the majority are students (who are largely temporary) and those who are here on work visas. Breaking it down, the article shows Non-EU Migration but its representative.

Highest is work visas at 423,000 - these will require a sponsorship - so have obtained a sponsored employment position with a business or organisation that follows UK employment visa regulations such as filling in-demand industries, generally require a high level degree unless in specific critical demand industries such as healthcare. The critical demand list is flexible and changes regularly, outside of that you need to be highly qualified and have a sponsored job offer which is selective and hard. They also need the means to sustain themselves.

Next are students at 379,000, who for some weird ass reason became a target for immigration criticism. You want us to have a world class education system but they whinge about students. They are here to study, have to have an offer and sponsorship from a UK University, and have to have their annual course fees and living costs in the bank as part of their visa application. Thats between £30,000 and £60,000 per year depending upon the university. There is the work transition option but thats selective and the vast majority leave after study, only 8% stay on a grad visa and 11% on skilled worker routes (i.e. high demand/healthcare). This number fluctuates wildly year on year too.

Your 700k per year, well near 400k are students who are here for between 1-3 years. Its dense as hell.

Everything else, so asylum, marriage/couples/family, and other are between 20,000 and 80,000. Marriage and Couples Visas have high income attachments so are more for wealthy people, bringing family is not automatic so family visas are also restrictive.

So what are people moaning at? That we have a lot of work visas? Then educate more people and promote those industries. Its expensive to sponsor visas, most companies don't. Too many students? Idiotic. Asylum? Small minority. Couples? thats already discriminatory and a small minority. Family, also highly restrictive and a tiny minority.

You just answered your own question.
Good post. Just to add to that, the UK's record for taking in refugees is dismal when compared to other countries of similar wealth. Has been for decades.

He's here because he wants to find people to argue with and maybe poke the lefties a bit?

There are people here who agree with you. Intolerant people who can't accept the fact that someone who disagrees with you could be anything but a troll or far-right. They're idiots.

It is utterly meaningless. Here's a list of things and people I've seen described as 'woke': not being able to debate politely, graphs, vegetarianism, tofu, Gary Lineker, Gareth Southgate, taking an interest in history, men talking about emotions, men taking good care of their health, assertiveness training for women, Around the World In 80 Days, black people on TV in general, England kits. I could go on.

Also, Spymaster is starting to remind me of the right-wing trolls we had on the political forum on the Hole site, who just signed up to play with liberals and didn't actually care about Hole, they just wanted a debate and people to argue with. I'm relatively new here but I get the impression this is what you guys are dealing with? He's here because he wants to find people to argue with and maybe poke the lefties a bit?
everything-i-dont-like-is-woke-v0-z2bb9wblrioa1.jpg

Not at all. Clearly there are a multitude of ideas as to what constitutes acceptable immigration, from the open borders stuff we see espoused on here occasionally, to the 'deport the foreigners' brigade and everything in between. There will be differing views on these boards, let alone outwith them.

I think you'll find the 'silent majority'ites will nearly always believe 1. there's too much immigration nowadays and therefore 2. our way of life is under threat. But cannot define 'our way of life' except in the vaguest terms, cannot say how much immigration would be acceptable, cannot say how our society would manage without quite a lot of it, do not acknowledge that as an island we comprise several nations full of immigrants and the children of immigrants (eg angles and saxons lol), and do not suggest their kids could do those low-skill jobs immigrants sometimes overwhelmingly do.

Therefore I'm not convinced such people really understand the ramifications of what they espouse. I am convinced it's a set of beliefs held together by emotion far more than reason or any grasp of facts, and this is why it's so immune to 'argument'.

This is my opinion, grown over long years of engagement online and in real places, with many people who would certainly consider themselves 'silent majority' and consider themselves broadly apolitical / small-c conservative / 'normal'. I'm not just pulling it out of my arse and suspect it will resonate with others here**.

**feelings not facts, here we are :thumbs:

Same answer. On another thread this morning one poster chastised another for using the word "moron" as being intellectually disablist. Personally, I think that's woke bollocks and modern life is littered with similar examples. People who laugh at such silliness are not necessarily far right.

Maybe not but IMO anyone calling someone else a moron, whether seriously or as a joke, should probably already have disengaged from the exchange. Doing that kind of thing is only a way to make someone feel shit from talking to you, which is just .. well, shit.

This is all before the history of the word 'moron'. Personally I don't think a word like that, because of its history as a word used to justify cruelty and ridicule by the more able towards the less able, should be acceptable. In it's way it's as bad as any racial slur.

Understanding this is too woke, for a noisy minority of morons who just don't give a fuck. It's on them.

Again, that's your view (and mine, tbh) but it's a particularly intolerant position to take, to label those who take an element of pride in their nation or its endeavours, as far right. There are lots of people even on U75 who'll get behind the England sports teams etc.

I don't think supporting a national sports team (if we have to have them which apparently we bloody do) has anything to do with the kind of toxic nationalism that sees neighbourhoods terrorised. It certainly doesn't need to, it's a shame the two have been conflated - and let's not forget, conflated in part by the thugs themselves. Cui bono? The racist bullies draped in flags, (various kinds to choose from)

Not everyone who supports an England sports team yells ENNGERRLUND drunkenly in the street and throws shit about.

I'd vote for you despite having brown eyes. Wokeness gone mad!

I feel a mildness protest coming on...

Last edited:
What I mean is, 'woke' is a term for 'anything I don't like'. Sheffield United are woke. Meat is woke. Haemorrhoids are woke. and so on.

Which is the value of it. The people who pushed it into common parlance from the Right used to be quite obvious in using it as an overt attack on minority rights and progressive causes, now it's ubiquitous and when they call racial equality, trans rights, immigrant rights or anything else 'woke', well, everyone hates woke stuff don't they? Nothing controversial in that, only a 'woke' libtard would have any issues with that sort of language.

They're trying the same now with DEI in the US, normalise it as a derogatory term and you gain cultural cover for what you really mean by it and who can object? Everyone says it, perfectly normal.

Which is the value of it. The people who pushed it into common parlance from the Right used to be quite obvious in using it as an overt attack on minority rights and progressive causes, now it's ubiquitous and when they call racial equality, trans rights, immigrant rights or anything else 'woke', well, everyone hates woke stuff don't they? Nothing controversial in that, only a 'woke' libtard would have any issues with that sort of language.

They're trying the same now with DEI in the US, normalise it as a derogatory term and you gain cultural cover for what you really mean by it and who can object? Everyone says it, perfectly normal.

Not just the US, the DEI bit. It was a mainstream Tory right attack on the UK public sector too, even if couched in cost-saving terms.

Some fair points there. If the police are liaising with bona fide community groups in the same way that (say) they do with the CST over protecting synagogues then great. Fantastic. My worry is that there are people on the anti fascist left who are firmly ACAB, and are more interested in having a ruck than in being “part of a response” which also involves policing, and that this likely precipitates events which make policing right wing disorder even trickier.
How many of the anti-fascist left, centre or right are you actually familiar with?

I think we need to make allowances for Spy he is a bit ... unique

Some fair points there. If the police are liaising with bona fide community groups in the same way that (say) they do with the CST over protecting synagogues then great. Fantastic. My worry is that there are people on the anti fascist left who are firmly ACAB, and are more interested in having a ruck than in being “part of a response” which also involves policing, and that this likely precipitates events which make policing right wing disorder even trickier.
your post is utterly incoherent

I'm not going to check your numbers as you've clearly put some work in there, so happy to take it all at face value.

What do you think UK immigration policy should be? Give us some figures.
I can give you two ideas to get you started, to be implemented immediately.

Britain to take in more refugees. A lot more. Double the current number would be a decent start.

Wealth restrictions on reuiniting families to be completely abolished.

I would go a lot further. Build a common travel area spread as far and wide as possible. Commonwealth countries and the rest of Europe would be a start. It is a sign of how far to the extreme this debate's 'overton window' has been moved that that might sound radical. But we had something very much like the former up to 1962 and something very much like the latter up to 2019.

I agree with most of this (apart from the moron stuff) so I'm not sure what you're arguing.

Can we agree that not everyone who has concerns about immigration, wokeness, or national pride, is necessarily far-right?

I agree with most of this (apart from the moron stuff) so I'm not sure what you're arguing.

Can we agree that not everyone who has concerns about immigration, wokeness, or national pride, is necessarily far-right?

I've no idea if you're Far Right, I do know that you're eagerly normalising their language - which they use specifically as a tool of bigotry - and calling anyone who's aware of that (very recent history) a Left Wing extremist.

I just don’t see why you insist on putting the word wokeness into what is otherwise a perfectly reasonable point. Although I don’t quite get why anyone would be concerned about preserving national pride - it’s endemic and doesn’t appear to be under any threat at all, however silly it is.

Back
Top Bottom