Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Far-right response to Southport Outrage And Ongoing Violent Disorder

I went to my local mosque yesterday to see if they were OK, if there was any help they needed. They were really grateful for the chat, it seemed.

For these people, brown and black people, it's a terrifying time. They are seeing racist white people described as "protestors" by media outlets, while racists are on LBC espousing racist lies, and going completely uncountered, as they claim a majority support for their white person racism.

The scatalogical humour sounds to my ears like the kind of thing you'd say if you didn't live in a mixed community, with Muslim neighbours in fear, and mosques battening down the hatches, and a genuine worry about the damage the next few days could bring, and what we and the state are going to do about it.

So let's stay on topic, is what I'm saying.

Arrests are at least 250 over the last two days, that'll keep going up now.

It's now reached over 400 so far.

At least 400 people have been arrested after far-right riots rocked Liverpool, Bristol, Manchester, Hull, Belfast, Stoke and other cities across UK over weekend

The scatalogical humour sounds to my ears like the kind of thing you'd say if you didn't live in a mixed community, with Muslim neighbours in fear, and mosques battening down the hatches, and a genuine worry about the damage the next few days could bring, and what we and the state are going to do about it.

You’re absolutely right.

Apologies for straying off topic.

It's now reached over 400 so far.

Be interesting to see an actual brake down of who has been arrested and for what.

I noticed this about 3 people on court. But I would assume at least one was a counter protestor and it is not clear to what extent the others were involved at all if their stories are true.

I can't recall that ever being done in the UK, apart from possibly in wartime.

Do the police and/or Home Sec have the power to insist everyone stays indoors?
I was living in France last year when riots kicked off after the extrajudicial killing of Nahel M, who was shot at point blank range. Curfews were imposed in some cities, like Bordeaux where I was. Public transport stopped running earlier than usual, which I guess helped motivate people to go home earlier than usual and stay there, purely for practical reasons.

Not sure if the powers already exist in the UK, but maybe the police dispersal orders are a roundabout way of achieving a similar objective, ie getting people off the streets/stopping them gathering?

FFS, Malaysia has issued a travel warning for the UK 😔

They think themselves patriots and they've got us on travel warning lists. 😖

Not sure these things count too much for anything. I've been a shitload of countries where travel advice was a warning/advisory not to go. But, so much as it counts for the establishment (and the obviously poor international look it brings) - add Nigeria and Australia to that list this morning (of countries giving warnings to heed about travelling to the UK)

Not sure these things count too much for anything. I've been a shitload of countries where travel advice was a warning/advisory not to go. But, so much as it counts for the establishment (and the obviously poor international look it brings) - add Nigeria and Australia to that list this morning (of countries giving warnings to heed about travelling to the UK)

Oh I know this, my SO is from a country that has perpetual travel advisories. There never isn't one in place. Beautiful country and I'd gladly live there.

But its unusual for the UK and isnt a good thing to have them.

I went to my local mosque yesterday to see if they were OK, if there was any help they needed. They were really grateful for the chat, it seemed.

For these people, brown and black people, it's a terrifying time. They are seeing racist white people described as "protestors" by media outlets, while racists are on LBC espousing racist lies, and going completely uncountered, as they claim a majority support for their white person racism.

Not sure what you mean by on topic, if you were referring to the brief discussion above, as it was about members of the public, with mad and wrong ‘opinions’ acquired from social media, harrassing public workers.

I think she's on a different protest: the campaign for more NHS dentists
Funnily enough, I was listening to some reporting on Radio 4, a reporter mentioned talking to a woman in... Rotherham, perhaps? ...who was participating in a protest against asylum seekers in hotels, who was saying that she needed a dentist and couldn't find an NHS dentist, and she was complaining about all the public money being spent on housing asylum seekers in hotels.

So the right-wing messaging is very effective, it's working, ie the NHS (or housing or education or whatever) in this country is falling apart and it's all their (the immigrants') fault, it's not the fault of the previous right-wing government that implemented a cruel austerity agenda, bunged billions to their mates while making the poor poorer and cutting public services to the bone.

Ed Balls is just an awful person:

Weird line of questioning, challenging her on whether the attacks should be called Islamophobic as well as racist, given the attacks on mosques. I mean, if a synagogue had been attacked and someone said this is racist and antisemitic and an interviewer said 'hold on, it's racist, but is it antisemitic?' that would've clearly been ridiculous, so why are these 'journalists' seemingly so afraid to call it what it is?

First I've heard of this. I suspect that this is just a list of places that someone has circulated in the hope of inspiring others out on to the street.

Let's put it this way, if the fash are coming here into the centre of Brum I take my hat off to them because they will be the proverbial, and quite possibly literal, lambs to the slaughter.
Fellow Brummie here, and I thought the same.

I hadn't seen any stuff going on here, but I may have missed it. I just thought if there had have been it would have been on the news, as a major city. My take was that they wouldn't dare, like other very diverse places, but maybe I'm being overly optimistic. I expect they would get a real kicking, as they would in London too I suspect.

What I find mad is the amount of people who just bring the kiddies along while there's a standoff with riot police and projectiles being hurled around. On Sky News last night there was a woman just casually sitting on the grass near that hotel in Rotherham playing with her little one on her lap like it was a day out in the park. Great parenting!

Attachments

• IMG_5565.jpeg
    IMG_5565.jpeg
    213.3 KB · Views: 57
Not sure what you mean by on topic, if you were referring to the brief discussion above, as it was about members of the public, with mad and wrong ‘opinions’ acquired from social media, harrassing public workers.
It was very brief, and I am certainly over-reacting because I'm freaked out by all this, and the humour makes me feel like people don't get how serious this is.

But yeah, I'll wind me neck in. 👍

What I find mad is the amount of people who just bring the kiddies along while there's a standoff with riot police and projectiles being hurled around. On Sky News last night there was a woman just casually sitting on the grass near that hotel in Rotherham playing with her little one on her lap like it was a day out in the park. Great parenting!
TBF one of my earliest memories is hiding behind a brick wall while parents went for a 'punch up'* with the NF and it never done me no harm.

*My dad always called it a punch up but I doubt he ever hit anyone.

It was very brief, and I am certainly over-reacting because I'm freaked out by all this, and the humour makes me feel like people don't get how serious this is.

But yeah, I'll wind me neck in. 👍
I have a mixed race family and live in an area where we have suffered racial abuse in the past and that is likely to explode sooner or later if this goes on. I will continue to make occasional poo jokes cheers.

Fellow Brummie here, and I thought the same.

I hadn't seen any stuff going on here, but I may have missed it. I just thought if there had have been it would have been on the news, as a major city. My take was that they wouldn't dare, like other very diverse places, but maybe I'm being overly optimistic. I expect they would get a real kicking, as they would in London too I suspect.

I'd guess you'd be more likely to see it in smaller places around the fringes of the city tbh. Apparently in Sheffield a small number showed up and sloped off looking sheepish when confronted by a much larger crowd, but then stuff pops up in Rotherham and the even smaller places near there. Probably a similar pattern in other cities.

I know people work in a refugee advice centre, although it is not featured on any of the lists posted here. Where would be a good place to monitor/search to see if it gets targeted?
Yeah, there's one sort of round the corner about five minutes from me, although as far as I'm aware they stopped opening the office to the public during the pandemic, and I don't think they reopened, although they still operate and the signage is still there. A bit worrying, especially as we're in a very multicultural area.

Back
Top Bottom