Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Far-right response to Southport Outrage And Ongoing Violent Disorder

Cable Street was in 1936 and is completely irrelevant to the current public order situation when an overstretched police service is doing its best to protect minorities from violent racists. Presenting them with another lot of agitators to deal with, who are spoiling for a fight so they can cosplay antifascist street battles of yore, is quite spectacularly unhelpful.

The original post that I responded to seemed totally ignorant of the past successes of militant anti-fascism so in that context examples from different periods of history are absolutely on point.

I really couldn’t disagree more on your second point but if you want to discuss tactics for opposing these astroturfed on-line far right provocations, please start a new thread, rather than derail this one on the legitimacy or otherwise of different types of response to fascist street violence.

This has been a really good and useful thread so far focused on the agitation & exploitation of these awful events by a worryingly self-confident extreme right.

I'm not trolling. I'm genuinely terrified.

I'm more scared that the fascists and racist knuckle draggers will become even more emboldened and that their rot will spread further. I'm more scared for the safety of minorities in this country, my loved ones included, both already and should that rot spread further.

Peaceful protest and demonstrations of solidarity are important.

Thanks for the links. Not sure that calling me a moron is particularly helpful, but whatever ....

People who have given up large amounts of their time and put themselves in harm's way to try and keep fascists off the streets can sometimes take it a bit personally when some manifestlfy ignorant person tells them that all they've ever done is make matters worse.

What are you meant to do in Bristol? Give them free reign to walk all over the centre picking off anyone they feel looks a immigrant? Which will be a lot of people in Bristol on a Saturday night and no doubt they will stay away from areas where they know they stand no chance so it will be anything they can pick off easily.

Holding the gathering one hour before the far right were due too means that space should be covered and hopefully will stop them from being able to gather in one place. Apparently there is a second counter-demo up on castle park.

There are also two football games in the City. Bristol City are hosting Willem II from the Netherlands and there is a strong link between the fans - not sure on their political persuasions but I know some went down to London. Also Bristol Rovers Vs Cardiff. So there are going to be a lot of potential bodies in Bristol already.

Personally hope Bristol turns out in numbers to reject this happening in the City which they have done many times before. Hopefully it will go smoothly.

I guess the alternative is you let it happen and hope the police contain it and they end up fighting themselves and looking stupid, but that also seems risky to me. They really don't seem to have cared about the backlash from Southport and they don't care about the actual facts of the case.

Sorry if I'm wrong on this and I do appreciate where you are coming from too.
If you have the numbers then consider opposing them. In london we don’t have it at the moment.

People who have given up large amounts of their time and put themselves in harm's way to try and keep fascists off the streets can sometimes take it a bit personally when some manifestlfy ignorant person tells them that all they've ever done is make matters worse.
I haven't told ANYONE that they've made matters worse.

Sorry that I'm scared of the prospect of more violence on the streets. That's obviously very wrong of me.
It is terrifying
There are groups around the country sickly exploiting the horrific murder of 3 young girls to spread their hate
If enough people from those communities turn up to show they don't agree with that agenda and stand in their way, there won't be a need for any violence
If they are left unopposed they very well may start targeting mosques, businesses and people they see as "other" or "to blame" in the streets, then they will feel even more emboldened and go on to do worse

Hopefully that makes sense and you can appreciate why the counter demonstrations are necessary?

The original post that I responded to seemed totally ignorant of the past successes of militant anti-fascism so in that context examples from different periods of history are absolutely on point.

I really couldn’t disagree more on your second point but if you want to discuss tactics for opposing these astroturfed on-line far right provocations, please start a new thread, rather than derail this one on the legitimacy or otherwise of different types of response to fascist street violence.

This has been a really good and useful thread so far focused on the agitation & exploitation of these awful events by a worryingly self-confident extreme right.

Hardly a derail ffs. The thread is about the far right organising attacks on mosques. The question of whether that is best met by organising counter demonstrations (which is a perfectly reasonable response to a demonstration, if not to violent disorder) or better left to the cops is completely on topic.

Cable Street was in 1936 and is completely irrelevant to the current public order situation when an overstretched police service is doing its best to protect minorities from violent racists. Presenting them with another lot of agitators to deal with, who are spoiling for a fight so they can cosplay antifascist street battles of yore, is quite spectacularly unhelpful.
'Agitators'. Splendid!

I'm scared too but I'd still rather have people out there counter-protesting the fash than none at all, even if it's just forming a barrier around a mosque.
This. I take great delight in seeing the fash get bashed, but showing solidarity is the key issue. Whether that be getting numbers out for a counter demo, helping residents do a clean up or protecting a mosque, it's about showing there's something better out there.

I think the ongoing inquiry into undercover policing coupled with the cult of thin blue line patches tells us all we need to know about how well we may expect the police to deal with it. Oh and history in general.

They seemed to manage pretty well in Southport and in London. The mosque was protected, the larger mob next day was kettled.

the cops are doing their best to protect minorities from violent racists? either you're ignorant or you're spectacularly stupid as the cops are disproportionately filled with er violent racists. did you miss this story? Eight Bury police officers suspended over racism accusation, for example? trust in the police is at a low due to the criminality, racism and misogyny within them.

I haven't told ANYONE that they've made matters worse.
By the by, I'm sat outside a pub in Blackpool, the Manchester, where March for England were opposed. 2015 iirc, I was there. Since then and a couple of other defeats, they've been a lot less active.

Physical confrontation or just being there isn't the whole answer to the fash, but it's a significant part.

oh and you plainly don't know what happened at cable street or you wouldn't have posted such a great turd.

They seemed to manage pretty well in Southport and in London. The mosque was protected, the larger mob next day was kettled.

I'd hardly call an operational response involving injury to 53 officers and the loss of a police vehicle "managing pretty well". Ditto the initial response to Hartlepool where there were further injuries and destruction of a police vehicle, and a fascist was allowed to punch a man of colour whilst a girning mob stood around shouting racist ephithets and laughing, filming it on their phones, whilst officers stood at a distance and watched behind riot shields.

Like the judiciary the police are part of the response, not the whole response. There needs to be a significant community-led element part of which is represented by counter-demonstration. You draw an equivalence between "agitators" on each side of the police line, quite wrongly. The counter-demonstations as I understand them are explicitly no violent, have no members intent on violent disorder or destruction of property as the purpose of their mobilisation. I don;t think we can say the same of the various ex- EDL / Patriotic Alternative agitators mentioned throughout this thread and their cretinous, drunk, chinged-up followers.

Policing is by consent. The consent of the communities those who sign up to enforce the law require in order to do their job. Community policing initatives cost too much and as mentioned police numbers are far too low for them to be the whole response. There are ten officers allocated to Hartlepool and the town's custody suite was closed a few years back- a lack of resource exposed pitilessly the other night. The politicians seem not to care.

In such circumstances a peaceful community counter-demonsration and response is essential in order not to cede public space to these fascist bastards and hooligans unopposed. Such a force shows that ordinary folk won't put up with their neighbourhoods being turned upside down by fascist neanderthals without a response. Nor will they tolerate incorrect racist scapegoating of minority communities who had nothing whatever to do with the original atrocity in Southport. And in the event of these demonstrations being met by violence from the far right side I am sure in time they will meet with a robust response.

In my view fascists wear police arrest, community sentences, tags, as badges of honour. The few basic links I linked to onb the last page all show in different ways that they are less likely to forget a good kicking, or come back for more. The tactics are crude but have been developed and delivered to great effect in the past, stunting the appeal of far right politics both in terms of the hollowness of its claims and the humiliation of coming out on the wrong end of a physical confrontation. The one thing fascism cannot overcome is laughter, humiliation and being made to look ridiculous by an opposing force.

The longer term view- re-building communities through multiple socio-economic levers and through targeted and robust policing of offenders by both community and police takes money, time, patience to achieve. Politicians have shown little if no interest in the state of policing beyond platitudes thanking police for their services. Communities asking questions of the targeting and priorities of local police forces and engagement with their work is as vital as community scrutiny of the work of politicians. Through that process consent can be built and negotiatied / re-negotiated.

That's my point of view, by all means disagree, but personally I would prefer to keep this thread focused on the far right's rather than our response.

Back
Top Bottom