Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Far-right response to Southport Outrage And Ongoing Violent Disorder

Yes, if this turns out to be a turning point, it will be entirely about the mass turn outs - about the relatively small numbers who went out and put themselves on the line over the last week and the massive numbers last night (and, I expect, at the weekend). There's no denying that the police have been in a direct battle with the fash, sustaining injuries, for sure. Equally, things could have got a lot uglier without them. But without the mass turnouts this would have carried on night after night with them getting bolder and bolder.. Plus it would have carried on with the fash claiming a victimhood, the 'voice of the people', two tier policing and the rest. With thousands out against them, all of that dribbles away.
I'm not as sanguine as the lesson they may draw is more mobilisations to split cop and anti-racist/anti-fascist numbers. People in eg Walthamstow and finchley can turn out to counter anticipated incursions but are unlikely to then travel to where one occurs. If I was a fascist I'd be looking to rebuild with mobilisations in more sympathetic places like bermondsey, welling or Dartford before attempting something on a similar scale again. Whereas for lw orgs large numbers of arrests and jailings would lead to organisations being tied up with prisoner support, I don't think the right will react the same way.

I'm not as sanguine as the lesson they may draw is more mobilisations to split cop and anti-racist/anti-fascist numbers. People in eg Walthamstow and finchley can turn out to counter anticipated incursions but are unlikely to then travel to where one occurs. If I was a fascist I'd be looking to rebuild with mobilisations in more sympathetic places like bermondsey, welling or Dartford before attempting something on a similar scale again. Whereas for lw orgs large numbers of arrests and jailings would lead to organisations being tied up with prisoner support, I don't think the right will react the same way.
Pretty much splitting the difference, I suspect a big turnout at the weekend will create a context for things and certainly stop their momentum. But as you say, they know there are places where they can have success/are less likely to encounter opposition. The fash in Blackpool last night looked to be largely unopposed just as they may well have been last week if Rebellion hadn't been in town. I remember going there nearly 10 years ago to oppose March for England and it was pretty much out of towners doing the opposing.

Suppose we'll have to see where this goes next. The Fash themselves almost certainly don't know given that the Southport murders gave them an unexpected opportunity which they were just getting used to when the centre left got numbers out last night. For the weekend, massive turnouts in the cities will be great though, in some ways, I'd rather see smaller local anti-fash efforts and the chance of building something sustainable. Because the fash aint going away.

For a bit of background that's Leanne Hodgson who runs a removal company called Leanne's Removals here in Sunderland. She's a bit of a "character" who has been in bother before. She's now in custody awaiting her sentence for what she did on Friday during the riot.

Is being a bit of a 'character' shorthand for being a virulent anti muslim activist who was involved with the far right 'Women Against Rape' group in Sunderland? A group set up to 'support ' women that only focussed on alleged Muslim rapists. A group that invited Katy Hopkins, Tommy Robinson, the DFLA and whose local leader, Billy Charlton (jailed for racial hatred and still in jail for sharing indecent images) said "These people turn up and are raping our children and we need to hold somebody responsible for it … get them off our kids, get them off our streets, get them off our island.”.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom