Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Far-right response to Southport Outrage And Ongoing Violent Disorder

I don't necessarily think this is the right thread, but it is related to the ongoing situation, if there's a better place to discuss it then am happy to be pointed there.

N's non-unionised workplace told everyone on Wednesday afternoon that non-white staff did not have to come in for their night shift if they didn't feel safe to travel.
However, we believe this would have been on the basis of you can take the night off without pay and possibly without an alternative shift offered, which seems a bit shit.

Thoughts?

I don't necessarily think this is the right thread, but it is related to the ongoing situation, if there's a better place to discuss it then am happy to be pointed there.

N's non-unionised workplace told everyone on Wednesday afternoon that non-white staff did not have to come in for their night shift if they didn't feel safe to travel.
However, we believe this would have been on the basis of you can take the night off without pay and possibly without an alternative shift offered, which seems a bit shit.

Thoughts?

It's a bit shit, disguised as concern. Imho.

Also think "non white" sounds like something from SA apartheid times. Or like being white is some kind of default setting.

If the shift had been a paid one, I wouldn’t have turned up, as I’m ginger.
But that’s shit and shows nothing but contempt for staff, whatever their skin shade.

It's a bit shit, disguised as concern. Imho.

Also think "non white" sounds like something from SA apartheid times. Or like being white is some kind of default setting.
Oh I didn't actually see the text myself, I think they might have said "ethnic" which isn't a whole lot better in the context.
They would have done better to say "if you feel unsafe to travel" IMO.
And yes of course if anyone feels unsafe to travel they should not have to get an employer's permission to refuse to wade through a potential riot situation to get to the station.

If the shift had been a paid one, I wouldn’t have turned up, as I’m ginger.
But that’s shit and shows nothing but contempt for staff, whatever their skin shade.
Yeah even if it had been paid, it would have lost the night shift allowance and been paid a pay cycle later than usual, so it's basically "ah we care about you, be safe. OK we don't care about you that much"

Thoughts?
In 2011 I was told not to come in by one of my employers because of the riots - well, not just me, everyone. But we got paid. Hope some good can come out of this and a union branch set up where n works

Love how the news coverage has changed overnight from fash breaking windows to town centres full of people going "fuck Nazis". Whoever posted that hit list must feel like a right twat this morning.
...i noticed SYL posted a thing saying "that list was fake and came from the state, it was never real, there was only one real action yesterday" followed by a video with a few people at it, which comes across as nothing else but desperate face-saving.....

...i noticed SYL posted a thing saying "that list was fake and came from the state, it was never real, there was only one real action yesterday" followed by a video with a few people at it, which comes across as nothing else but desperate face-saving.....
Not sure making out you're The Puppet Master pulling the strings and directing events and putting together plans whilst you're plotted up overseas in your (not-so-secret) supervillain lair is quite the legal strategy that your brief would recommend right now, but have at it, Stevo 🤷‍♂️

Settles what?

Btw I've googled Rowley, he's some kind of police chief

Silas was not exactly pro counter-protests earlier in the thread. I in fact have the Mark Rowley quote lined up as I was about to snidely call him out on it:

It was a massive policing operation. I’m really pleased with how it went. We put thousands of officers on the streets, and I think the show of force from the police, and frankly, the show of unity from communities together, defeated the challenges that we’ve seen, and it went up very peacefully last night.

Settles what?

The heated discussion on here when it was first kicking off. Mind you, chief officers are politicians first and cops second, so if the list had not been a nonsense, numbers had been more evenly matched and there were pitched three-way battles across the country between fascists, counter protestors and riot police, Rowley might well have taken a different tone. But it’s still something to have an on-record police statement that public displays of solidarity with refugees put the far right back in its box.

Love how the news coverage has changed overnight from fash breaking windows to town centres full of people going "fuck Nazis". Whoever posted that hit list must feel like a right twat this morning.
I suspect they'll find a way of bending the truth into a win - "haha, we got all those woke lefties to stand around on the street without us actually having to go out of the pub"

The reality is somewhat different :)

Back
Top Bottom