Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Euros Final - Italy v England - Sunday 11/07 - 20:00

Predictions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I appreciate it's part of the game, but I've not seen it so blatant and so often in other matches, and certainly not from the team who were on top.

The basic problem is that football is a terrible, terrible game to base knock-out competitions on because a very high proportion of games end in a draw. You don’t often get the problem of how to settle a match in rugby, for example. Football is more suited to league competitions.

But there it is. It’s the most popular game we have so therefore we have popular international knock-out competitions for it. And then a high percentage of the quarter-final, semi-final and final matches of those competitions are not settled by the actual football matches that were supposed to determine who goes through but instead by this ancillary little ritual we had to make up to fix the fact there was no result. It’s bobbins really but you just live with it and move on with your life because it really doesn’t matter.

I appreciate it's part of the game, but I've not seen it so blatant and so often in other matches, and certainly not from the team who were on top.
As I said, I think the ref could have done something about it. You can be booked for persistent fouling, and a couple of players probably should have been.

But on the other hand, I quite liked how he allowed some physicality in the match.

England were lucky to make it to penalties IMO, so the result reflects the actual game anyway.

While Italy were clearly in charge for the end of the first half and throughout the second, I was interested to see how much of their dominance rested on fouling England whenever they got into their half - there seems to have been a general acceptance of this as a strategy on the thread, but it's not something I've seen that much of in the tournament - seems a bit shit to me. Is this the kind of play we're to expect from our team as they get older and more cynical?
My mum said "five yellow cards to our one certainly doesn't feel like 'winning' to me", which one level I sort of agree with, but at the same time... :oops: :D

I'm never a fan of waving something away with "it's part of the game", as if it's simply not possible for the game to be any other way, but yeah, most if not all teams do it, it's just a question of to what degree and how 'well'.

The basic problem is that football is a terrible, terrible game to base knock-out competitions on because a very high proportion of games end in a draw. You don’t often get the problem of how to settle a match in rugby, for example. Football is more suited to league competitions.

But there it is. It’s the most popular game we have so therefore we have popular international knock-out competitions for it. And then a high percentage of the quarter-final, semi-final and final matches of those competitions are not settled by the actual football matches that were supposed to determine who goes through but instead by this ancillary little ritual we had to make up to fix the fact there was no result. It’s bobbins really but you just live with it and move on with your life because it really doesn’t matter.

They could make the goals bigger for the knockout stages, or strap the goalie's ankles together.

The games ran freely, that's good reffing. And maybe it shows how VAR can work seeing as we are stuck with it.
Best-reffed tournament I can remember tbh. Allowing some contact, generally expecting players to try to stay on their feet, not automatically buying dives. But cracking down hard on dangerous play. And VAR was mostly (except when done in England) done quickly. Think they got it about right.

I just heard on the news that a mural of him in Manchester has been defaced :(

I don't think I can support England anymore. There are just too many cunts who support them. Booing every single anthem. Booing the taking of the knee. And now this all too predictable reaction.
And if you walk away there'll be one fewer to fight against it.

Looked like a red in slomo
You've certainly seen 'em given, studs up, going over the ball, etc.

I'm not about to suggest Grealish doesn't go down easily sometimes, but on that occasion at least he was busting a gut to recover the ball for England and keep the pressure on Italy; that wasn't running into a defender a leaving a trailing leg, or clipping his own heels.

You've certainly seen 'em given, studs up, going over the ball, etc.

I'm not about to suggest Grealish doesn't go down easily sometimes, but on that occasion at least he was busting a gut to recover the ball for England and keep the pressure on Italy; that wasn't running into a defender a leaving a trailing leg, or clipping his own heels.
Should have been a red, I think, particularly by the standards they set at this tournament. But probably wouldn't have made any difference. And Jorghino then missed his pen.

Back
Top Bottom